Royal Icing...

Baking By SILVERCAT Updated 5 Nov 2008 , 11:44pm by SILVERCAT

SILVERCAT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SILVERCAT Posted 29 Oct 2008 , 4:09pm
post #1 of 8

I did some cookies up yesterday and this am went to see how they looked and to see how dry they were. Well they didn't look right, like they didn't have that hard look RI usually gives off. So I decided to touch it to see what happened. well when I took me finger off it left like a dusty texture on my finger. I got thinking maybe my RI may have a little grease in it but not sure. Has anyone had this problem before? I would post a picture but I can't because I run on safari. TIA!

7 replies
SILVERCAT Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 12:16am
post #2 of 8

Anyone have any idea? I need to know if I should try to airbrush a stencil design on top of the royal!?

Honeydukes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Honeydukes Posted 31 Oct 2008 , 12:44pm
post #3 of 8

Dusty or crumbly RI usually means it was over-beaten. RI that's been in contact with grease turns kinda soupy -- doesn't have any body to it. Could that be the problem? How long did you beat it?

SILVERCAT Posted 31 Oct 2008 , 1:42pm
post #4 of 8

Thank you but I ended up throwing out the cookies bc they were still wet to the fingers atfer two days. I think I over beat it! Do you think I can use the royal after it has sat for a few days? Or do I throw that out to and start over?

Honeydukes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Honeydukes Posted 31 Oct 2008 , 9:11pm
post #5 of 8

You know, I'm not sure about re-using it. It certainly wouldn't hurt to try. Wait a couple days and then re-beat it.

The one time I totally over-beat my RI was when I was making hundreds of violets for some cupcakes. Sat for hours piping those stupid things only to watch them crumble and blow away. So now, I have to be careful not to under-beat my RI!

Let us know how it goes.

SILVERCAT Posted 1 Nov 2008 , 12:08am
post #6 of 8

I have been thinking that I really don't want to waste any more cookies or my time with something that might NOT turn out right, so I think I will just make a batch up for my cookies. Thanks for the help!

-Tubbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-Tubbs Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 12:44am
post #7 of 8

Too late for your issue, but I just wanted to tell what I do to check that a batch of icing is 'good'. Once it's mixed up, I smear a little on the counter, then carry on getting ready to ice, get my bowls out etc. Once I'm ready to go I just poke around at the icing on the counter. If it's started to firm up and feel dry already I know it's good. If it feels sticky, or looks shiny alarm bells ring and I'll wait a bit longer before using it on cookies. I have wasted time and cookies by using bad icing.

Overbeating have never been my problem - it's always been a touch of grease which wrecks the whole batch. After a couple of disasters I always wipe everything down with a vinegar solution before starting.

SILVERCAT Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 11:44pm
post #8 of 8

Well if you want to see my cookies check it out here [url]silvercatscakes.blogspot.com[/url]

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%