Smooth Icing

Decorating By cosmogurl Updated 29 Oct 2008 , 6:44pm by missmeg

cosmogurl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cosmogurl Posted 29 Oct 2008 , 3:32pm
post #1 of 10

I need to have a completely smooth top for a cake. I'm using buttercreme. I have always had a hard time getting it completely smooth. How do you get your cakes completely smooth on top.
Laurie

9 replies
kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 29 Oct 2008 , 3:49pm
post #2 of 10

check out tonedna's awesome video here:

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 29 Oct 2008 , 4:20pm
post #3 of 10

And Melvira's roller method (home page .... scroll down thru articles).

once you paint-roller a cake, you'll never go back! thumbs_up.gif

butterfly831915 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterfly831915 Posted 29 Oct 2008 , 4:26pm
post #4 of 10

I recently had to ask this questions myself. I would have to say the viva paper towel method works well, the only think I personlly don't like is the icing doesn't look quiet as crisp as it does before you do it. I did find making my scrapper warm under hot water and completely drying it off did help before even doing the viva paper towel. Best of luck!!! I haven't done the roller method yet but have it in my stack of must do's.

becklynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
becklynn Posted 29 Oct 2008 , 4:30pm
post #5 of 10

sugarshack's DVD on buttercream helped me out a lot! She shows you how to get completely smooth buttercream!! Worth the $$$

Good luck

lindambc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lindambc Posted 29 Oct 2008 , 4:38pm
post #6 of 10

I had a difficult time getting the tops of my cakes smooth, then I saw the article for the upside down icing technique. I love it! Works great for me. I use a combo of that technique and the Viva papertowel method. The link for the upside down icing technique is below. HTH.

http://www.cakecentral.com/article6-Upside-Down-Icing-Technique-for-Perfectly-Smooth-Icing.html

Mencked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mencked Posted 29 Oct 2008 , 4:41pm
post #7 of 10

Sugarshack's DVD!!!! Amen, Amen, Amen!!! Works everytime and my frustration level when attempting smooth BC has gone way, way down--If only I'd had her video 5 years ago when I started this!!! Ditto on what becklynn says--so worth the $$$$.

sweetcakes1107 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes1107 Posted 29 Oct 2008 , 4:44pm
post #8 of 10

I use a big metal scraper from the hardware store. I can usally smoothe the top with one or two sweeps.

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 29 Oct 2008 , 6:34pm
post #9 of 10

I use the Melvira (paint roller)method too. I wish I had known about it sooner. It makes such a difference in my cakes.

missmeg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missmeg Posted 29 Oct 2008 , 6:44pm
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mencked

Sugarshack's DVD!!!! Amen, Amen, Amen!!! Works everytime and my frustration level when attempting smooth BC has gone way, way down--If only I'd had her video 5 years ago when I started this!!! Ditto on what becklynn says--so worth the $$$$.

Totally this. I get so many compliments on my smooth icing, thanks to Sugarshack thumbs_up.gif . I also use Melvira's method when necessary.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%