Different Sized Flower Nails?

Decorating By trishalynn0708 Updated 29 Oct 2008 , 3:51pm by karateka

trishalynn0708 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
trishalynn0708 Posted 29 Oct 2008 , 12:02pm
post #1 of 5

I'm not sure what they are called. The little nail thing that you make your roses on. I was wondering if their were different sizes? I want to make bigger roses but if i get to far from by the outside of the nail my rose starts to droop. My frosting is thick to so i'm not sure what I can do different. I make a seperate frosting just for my flowers. I have tried piping the roses right onto my cake but that looks awful! lol... Any suggestions, or is their a bigger nail??
Thanks!

4 replies
karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 29 Oct 2008 , 12:31pm
post #2 of 5

The only sizes I have seen is 7 and 9. THe 7 is the larger size. To make yours bigger, you could glue a piece of cardboard (greaseproof it by coating in clear contac paper or plastic wrap) to the top of a flower nail. That way it could be as big as you need it to be. Pipe your flowers on a square of wax paper or parchment that is taped or glued (with a dab of frosting) to the cardboard, and either take the parchment square off (if you are saving for later) or use your flower lifting scissors to place the flower on your cake.

trishalynn0708 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
trishalynn0708 Posted 29 Oct 2008 , 2:20pm
post #3 of 5

thank you karateka. I'm not any good at piping my flowers right on my cake.. This will help me out big time!

Another question: If I leave my flowers to air dry will they be easier to lift and put onto my cake better? Yesterday when I made my cake my flowers kind of stretched a little around the one corner I lifted up..

Thanks for the help!

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 29 Oct 2008 , 2:36pm
post #4 of 5

My local resturant supply store carries Ateco supplies. There is a flower nail there about two inches across. HUGE. I'm not sure what that size might be, but it certainly seems it would fit your needs...

karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 29 Oct 2008 , 3:51pm
post #5 of 5

Ok, I've got to find myself one of those Ateco nails!

And yes, I find it easier if I let them dry a little.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%