Diabetic Recipes

Baking By didavista Updated 4 Nov 2008 , 7:09pm by all4cake

didavista Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
didavista Posted 29 Oct 2008 , 9:38am
post #1 of 18

I am hoping someone can help.. I recently opened a small restaurant and do my own baking. I am getting a lot of requests for diabetic desserts and I am clueless. The diabetic recipe section on here really doesn't have very much. Any recipes, websites, advice? Can I just swap splenda for sugar? Thanks in advance for any help.
Diane

17 replies
Charmaine49 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Charmaine49 Posted 29 Oct 2008 , 9:58am
post #2 of 18

I just googled diabetic recipes and came up with just these two, but there are loads of other sites that you can go and have a look at.
Hope this helps!!

1. www.diabeteslibrary.org Get Free Diabetic Recipes Online Find Recipes Breakfast Lunch Dinner

Search Results

Diabetic Recipes - proving eating healthy with diabetes can be ...
Over 800 diabetic recipes with diabetic menus from award-winning cookbook authors. Everyone with diabetes, their family, and friends will love these ...
www.diabetic-recipes.com/ - 13k - Cached - Similar pages

didavista Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
didavista Posted 29 Oct 2008 , 12:57pm
post #3 of 18

Thank you, I will check those sites out. I have googled it, I was hoping more for some tried and true recipes.

Narie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Narie Posted 29 Oct 2008 , 1:28pm
post #4 of 18

I don't know if Angel food cake is actually a good diabetic choice, but a friend of mine, diabetic, always opts for Angel food cake.

nickshalfpint Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nickshalfpint Posted 2 Nov 2008 , 4:18am
post #5 of 18

I do have a couple, I will look for them for you. So far everything I've made, where I swapped sugar for splenda, has came out really good. I do it alot with cookies. My chocolate chip cookies are usually made with splenda, I even use the splenda brown sugar too, and my family can't tell the difference. It's a bummer being diabetic, hopefully one day there will millions of GREAT diabetic desert recipes thumbs_up.gif . Alot of diabetic recipes call for angel food cake, but I don't know why. I LOVE cake (well, I love the frosting) and it's such a bummer when I can't eat it ALL icon_lol.gif It's kind of funny, but for some reason when I make a cake, I don't want any of it icon_confused.gif . I guess I spent enough time with it, I don't need it follow me on my backside icon_lol.gif

auntiecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntiecake Posted 2 Nov 2008 , 4:40am
post #6 of 18

I use sugar free cool whip also. Especially good on angel food cake w/fresh strawberrie or other fruit w/splenda. Angel food cake is lower in sugar content and NO FAT which is why it is a good choice. I have a strawberry pie recipe that is good also. You also make strawberry w/sf glaze, strawberries, sf coolwhip and a graham cracker crust. My recipe is the same idea only they use sf jello for the glaze. Wish I had some now!!! I am lucky too that I am not a big cake eater, but I love pastries and they are a no no too.

Narie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Narie Posted 2 Nov 2008 , 3:44pm
post #7 of 18

I asked my diabetic friend why she always chose Angel Food cake. She responded that it contains no fat, and that it didn't contain much flour. She also doesn't use any of the artifical sweeteners because her digestive system doesn't tolerate them. Angel Food cake- box mix- contains 129 calories per 12 serving piece. She does enjoy a small amount of runny icing spooned over the top but normally eats it plain.

JodieF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JodieF Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 1:19am
post #8 of 18

My mom is diabetic, and she thinks this is outstanding for a sugar free cheesecake. I make it for her and she slices and freezes it. Now, I will admit I use full fat sour cream and cream cheese. My mom has no issues that require low fat.

http://www.marlenekoch.com/book/cheesecake.htm

She also likes Angel Food Cake. My mom really loves scones, also.

I have a really good sugar free pumpkin pie recipe from the Splenda site.
http://splenda.allrecipes.com/Recipe/Recipe.aspx?nprid=76256

I make her chocolate chip cookies. Hershey's even makes sugar free chocolate chips. I use Splenda and the brown sugar blend.

You do need to remember though, it's not just the sugar that's the issue for diabetics....it's the carbs too! So, just subbing Splenda for sugar doesn't make it great for diabetics.

nickshalfpint Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nickshalfpint Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 4:41am
post #9 of 18

It really all depends on what type you have. Technically I can eat what ever I want and just take as much insulin as I needed. For instance I eat a sandwich that was 30 grams of carbs, I can just take 2 units of insulin. But if I ate what ever I wanted and took the insulin to match, I'd be as big as a house. Insulin holds onto the fat (something to that extent) I know when you take the pills you can't just take another pill to have more insulin. It's really all things in moderation. If I wanted a regular piece of cake, I would have to take 17 units of insulin, which is more than I take in 2 days. So to me it's not worth that. Things keep changing everyday. My treatment now is soooo different than it was when I first found out I had it. So hopefully they find a cure for this darn disease soon. It really overwhelms you at first, but after a while it just becomes a part of life. People always find it funny that I make cakes and I'm diabetic.

EnjoyTheCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EnjoyTheCake Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 4:54am
post #10 of 18

I am Type 1 Diabetic and I generally dislike most "diabetic" recipes because as was stated before it's less sugar but not less carbs. And for me it's all about the carbs. If I know I'm going to have cake or dessert, I choose protein heavy meal and skip the extras like pasta and potatoes.

But for good recipes, I'm not much help I don't deprive myself. But I do get sugar free pop sicles and fudgesicles when i'm in the mood. I also found a fantastic carb control yogurt for quick snacks and breakfast.

Depending on what kinds of desserts you want, sugar free jell-o is AMAZING and can be used in any jell-o molds that regular jell-o can be used with. Topped with low fat cool whip is a real treat.

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 5:14am
post #11 of 18

I recently got a request for sugar-free cupcakes for a baby shower where the honoree has gestational diabetes. This is probably the most difficult task I've taken on. I told the hostess that I would work on some things to see what I can come up with. I've had several people taste it as well as myself....my taste buds are super sensitive to artificial sweeteners so they all seem lacking to me and somewhat disgusting.

I have managed a passable(by my buds) white and chocolate mini cupcake by subbing Splenda for the sugar in this white recipe

http://recipesource.com/baked-goods/desserts/cakes/17/rec1708.html

and in the chocolate recipe on the back of the Hershey's cocoa container

I tried initially with Sweet 'N' Low....wretched stuff!!!

I attempted a 6" round with the white...it doesn't rise as much and it's pale as can be....I hope I can convince her to go with the minis....they turned out beautifully(just not as tasty as with sugar)

Now, I need to work on icing...I read another CCer successfully made SMBC with Splenda....I'm gonna try it....

all4cake Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 6:29am
post #12 of 18

Okay. I just finished making a small batch of 1-2-3 SMBC (3/4 cup egg whites, 1 1/2 cup Splenda, 2 1/4 cup unsalted butter...about 1 tbsp vanilla)...

I'd eat that stuff! It still has the aftertaste but like I stated earlier, it may just be me...it's slight but it's there. I'm going to try the one with cream cheese and sugar-free pudding and see what happens.

all4cake Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 6:50am
post #13 of 18

With a word from Missy Elliot....HOLLA!

One box of sugar-free pudding(chocolate fudge), 8 oz package cream cheese softened, 1/2 cup milk, 1 cup heavy whipping cream. Beat the cream cheese until smooth and creamy. Add dry pudding mix and 1/2 cup milk...beat it(I used the wire whip attachment) until smooth, and creamy...it'll be thick and pastey(?) looking. With the mixer on low, add the whipping cream. Scrape down bowl. Then, turn it up and beat it until fluffy like.

I placed it into a smaller bowl and covered it with plastic wrap and placed in fridge. Later this afternoon, I'll rewhip it. It tastes REALLY good right now. I may use it to fill the chocolate cupcakes...they need something....they taste kinda like chocolate pancakes...not very sweet.

all4cake Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 7:23am
post #14 of 18

The s/f SMBC is ideal to decorate with! I tried to incorporate several techniques with it to show that it is the same(if not better)than SMBC made with sugar.

http://cakecentral.com/modules/coppermine/albums/userpics/52155/normal_sugarfreesixinchround.JPG

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 5:37pm
post #15 of 18

Check out the splenda site. They have information about subbing splenda for sugar, when it will work and when it might not. They also have a ton of recipes on there.

need2sleep Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
need2sleep Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 5:55pm
post #16 of 18

all4cake - I just love the flower you piped on top of the cake. It is so pretty!! How did you do that??icon_razz.gif

angelicconfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelicconfections Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 5:57pm
post #17 of 18

hi, I am a diabetic too. I don't use splenda because it wreaks havoc with my digestive system in even small doses and it's not really all that much better for you. Carbs even sugar free carbs will raise your blood sugar. My personal fav is a low sugar cheese cake, I sugar free puddinn, jello and whipped topping with the jello cheese cake. Really the best diabetic dessert is SF jello or a SF popsicle.

all4cake Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 7:09pm
post #18 of 18

need2sleep, thank you! That was piped with tip #80 using the same technique as for a mum....just drag the petals out a bit longer.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%