Anyone Know How To Frost A Small Pumkin?

Decorating By Shelly4481 Updated 30 Oct 2008 , 1:39am by mariarosa

Shelly4481 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shelly4481 Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 4:13pm
post #1 of 9

I have a customer that brought me a muffin pan that has 12 mini pumpkins. She wants carrot cakes made with this and I have struggled on how to frost them. I made some to practice with and they were hard to frost and still look like a pumpkin. I would like to find something to pour on since they are so small, or would fondant work? Anyone have any ideas. Thanks.

8 replies
Malakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Malakin Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 5:20pm
post #2 of 9

If they don't care that you use fondant, Peggy Porchen has a pourable fondant that tastes good and is easy to use. I am at work and don't have the recipe handy. Someone else here may have it. Petit Four icing may also work for you.

2girliesmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2girliesmama Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 5:36pm
post #3 of 9

Try an appropriately sized star or shell tip. You will get those great pumpkin ridges easily and if you want deeper ridges just layer your vertical stripes. I did this on a large one and it came out beautifully (very realistic). Works great for stems too. Accent with leaves and tendrils. Good luck icon_smile.gif

2girliesmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2girliesmama Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 5:39pm
post #4 of 9

Oh if you are having trouble handling them. Try skewering them While you frost. To remove slide off carefully with aid of a palette knife and cover top mark with stem.

fidos_mom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fidos_mom Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 5:42pm
post #5 of 9

Make it less than 32 degrees.... they get really cold & frosty then.... he he he icon_lol.gif

Actually, I was going to suggest that you thin your icing and then smooth it after application. I did that and it worked out great. But these other ideas look fun too. I always have trouble with poured fondant but I think that is because we are so hot and humid here in Texas. Sure wish I could use it.

Good luck!! I am sure it will turn out great!!
Lisa

vanillafairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vanillafairy Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 7:56pm
post #6 of 9

personally i would use fondant ´cause it would be easier

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 8:11pm
post #7 of 9

Ok, I couldnt help myself....
Call it names and tell him your going to make pie out of it!!! icon_smile.gif

But I usually add a dalop of RI on what Im decorating it with and if its still moving I skewer it onto a cake drum. But I try not to do that too much because sometimes it makes the cake fall apart. You can also try using an egg crate. The cardboard kind.

Shelly4481 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shelly4481 Posted 29 Oct 2008 , 6:29pm
post #8 of 9

Thanks for all the replies, I have a week to play with them and see what works best. I might try the poured fondant. She said it didn't matter what I covered them with. But I do want them to taste good, it is for a red hat ladies group, which might mean more business if I can get them to look good and taste good. They are just so darn little which makes it hard to work with so I may have to try the egg crate too. I will do some looking for a recipe. Thanks

mariarosa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mariarosa Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 1:39am
post #9 of 9

you can cover them with melted orange chocolate , you just dip them in the chocolate and it looks beautiful, I just made them with cake balls...
good luck icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%