Help, Anyone?!

Decorating By roseyrider Updated 1 Dec 2008 , 6:29am by roseyrider

roseyrider Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
roseyrider Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 2:59pm
post #1 of 18

So I have to make the attached cake for a bride. When she walked into my shop I was so busy and flustered I did not pay real attention to the pic she gave me. I already know that I charged too little but I will have to just suck that up. I have figured out how to do the roses, but can anyone help me with the DRAPED CHOCOLATE effect, please....anyone....?
LL

17 replies
trishalynn0708 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
trishalynn0708 Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 3:10pm
post #2 of 18

oh goodness. That is a pretty cake. I'm not sure how they did the drop frosting, it looks sort of like a really thick frosting that is really stacked on their and they ran something maybe their spatula to make the creases. I'm really not sure. That is just what it looks like to me..

tanyascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tanyascakes Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 3:14pm
post #3 of 18

Looks like fondant drapes to me. But maybe candy clay has the same effect. Looks like they draped it and used the roses to fill in the gaps around it. HTH

CreationsByCaryl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CreationsByCaryl Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 3:16pm
post #4 of 18

I cannot see it well enough to see what they did, but it can't be more difficult than thinly rolled fondant drape.

As for the cake. I'm not a fan. It look sloppy and melting, but to each their own.

melvin01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melvin01 Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 3:17pm
post #5 of 18

It more looks like fondant to me than white chocolate.

Was there a description with the cake on the picture saying it was chocolate? If it is, looks like it will be troublesome.

I think that Choco-Pan would be easier to use since it is made with white chocolate. I'm not sure how it tastes, and it's a bit higher priced than Satin Ice, which is unfortunate since you already gave her a price on it.

I cannot tell if the roses are fondant rolled or not, but there are instructions on making those on this site. Just do a search for it.

Good luck.

roseyrider Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 3:20pm
post #6 of 18

I went on the original bakers website and they say it is all Belgian chocolate- even the roses with no pastes used! will post a bigger pic now.

stephaniescakenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephaniescakenj Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 3:21pm
post #7 of 18

it looks like it was based off one of mich turners cakes. It's in her book called spectacular cakes. For her cake which is not the same one but similar, she used "chocolate plastic" and made fans and inserted them around the roses. The good thing is that it's not a polished look so the more you mess up, I bet the better it will look. I certainly do not envy you on that one though, wouldn't want to give that one a try yet. I might be able to scan these pages in from her book if that would help. My printer is flaky though so I'm not sure if I can get it work but PM me if you think it might help.

ngfcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ngfcake Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 3:21pm
post #8 of 18

Maybe you could use modelling chocolate (chocolate+glucose syrup+water). I haven't done that but I have seen pictures and it looks similar to what you want.

aztomcat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aztomcat Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 3:22pm
post #9 of 18

It looks like draped/bunched fondant to me with the roses on top.

Here's a cake I did with draped fondant (no flowers on top) You can compare to see if you agree.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=85103

dee

roseyrider Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 3:25pm
post #10 of 18

Heres a bigger pic.
LL

GipsyGourmet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GipsyGourmet Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 3:25pm
post #11 of 18

I'm not a fan of this cake either; however, it looks like buttercream roses or maybe thin fondant roses, with gumpaste/fondant drapes with the roses placed throughout the cake to give it an intertwined appearance. Good luck! icon_confused.gif

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 3:30pm
post #12 of 18

It's definitely chocolate. You have to pull this off while it's warm, obviously. I wonder if they kept it soft over a food warming plate of some sort?

There is a new cake shop in town that ONLY makes these types of cakes. Stole a corner of the market.

roseyrider Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 3:32pm
post #13 of 18

Like I said, the original baker says its all chocolate.....I might just have to resort to using fondant if i cant figure it out. In the picture I have there seems to be a texture to the draped chocolate...almost like they have used material as a base for the draping.

stephaniescakenj Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 3:41pm
post #14 of 18

yea I just checked Mich's site, she has the little venice cake company. http://www.lvcc.co.uk/index.asp check out the "chocolate collection" she has a couple cakes that looks very similar. it's all chocolate.

GipsyGourmet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GipsyGourmet Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 4:42pm
post #15 of 18

I just checked the website out as well and the cake is definitely all chocolate; however, I do think that you could make a version of this cake using gumpaste/fondant drapes. Good luck! icon_smile.gif

stephaniescakenj Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 5:54pm
post #16 of 18

Hey roseyrider, I'm trying to PM you those pages from mich's book but I guess my file size is too big, it's just sitting in my outbox so I don't know if you're going to get my message or not. can you send me your email address. It's about 4mb but it should be fine over regular email.

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 6:24pm
post #17 of 18

Did the customer say she wanted it in chocolate, or is she fine with fondant? I think fondant would be a ton easier!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephaniescakenj

Hey roseyrider, I'm trying to PM you those pages from mich's book but I guess my file size is too big, it's just sitting in my outbox so I don't know if you're going to get my message or not. can you send me your email address. It's about 4mb but it should be fine over regular email.

It will sit in your outbox until the person you are sending it to picks it up, then it moves to your sentbox. That's one way you can tell if someone got your message! HTH

roseyrider Posted 1 Dec 2008 , 6:29am
post #18 of 18

UPDATE.....So I did the cake this weekend. A few differences but overall not too bad. Thanks to all for their help!
LL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%