Price Quotes Via Email: How To Handle?

Decorating By ZAKIA6 Updated 27 Oct 2008 , 11:00pm by ZAKIA6

ZAKIA6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ZAKIA6 Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 5:28pm
post #1 of 8

Hi All

Im starting to have more frequent inquiries. I try to have all correspondence via email.

Im at the point where may have to start sending price quotes out.

Im trying to figure out how i should word the emails and what infomation should i include in the email (besides the price icon_lol.gif)

Im thinking
*Description of cake design
*Flavors
*Price (I dont think i should go into detail of how i came to the price?)
*Deposit Information.

Is that enough, should i add anything else?

Any help would be appreciated.

Zakia

7 replies
Rocketgirl899 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rocketgirl899 Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 6:20pm
post #2 of 8

you dont need to tell them how you come up with price. Unless you give them an option like $200... or $250 with gumpaste flowers.

the rest looks okay.

ZAKIA6 Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 6:36pm
post #3 of 8

thanks.
i guess i just want to be as clear and forward as possible
without really giving them room to question my prices....

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 6:43pm
post #4 of 8

Honestly, I almost never get biz out of one of the inquiries. I do my best to get them in for a tasting and design consultation. Then i can sell them on the design we've created and the taste fo the cake. The "send me a quote" people are price shoppers and looking for the cheapest. that's my experience anyway.

But I do have my basic prices online and I just direct them to that.

aligotmatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aligotmatt Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 7:01pm
post #5 of 8

I give people really general quotes for inquiry emails. Like, "For 100 servings of cake, your price would start at $450 and go up based on the cake and filling you choose, as well the icing and design elements." I always follow up with a specific time and date that I am available for a consultation... "I am available for a consultation on Saturday November 1st at 3pm where you can sample 2 flavors of cake and we can work on your cake design..."

I like to have a minimum given for the number of servings, even though it is listed on my website, it weeds out some people quickly.

ZAKIA6 Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 7:17pm
post #6 of 8

thanks for the input.
hopefully ill have some luck

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 9:19pm
post #7 of 8

For a general email inquiry, they get a general price range. I have a pre-formatted Word document on cake pricing that I email back to them.

A "QUOTE" is given only after they have come in and talked to me and I've gotten the details on what they want.

ZAKIA6 Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 11:00pm
post #8 of 8

thanks for the clarification.

i general pricing email is definitely what i need to be sending out. im going to work on a standard email to send out.

i havent gotten to the point where i sit/meet and discuss details with them so i have time to format my quote email.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%