Modeling Chocolate Melts In My Hands..help!

Decorating By bobhope Updated 10 Nov 2008 , 4:49pm by bobhope

bobhope Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobhope Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 9:16am
post #1 of 15

hello!

last week, i posted asking for help on how to make chocolate roses.i got a generous amount of replies icon_biggrin.gif ..i tried toba garrett's chocolate modeling recipe but it melts in my hands while working w/ it..do i need to turn on my a/c while working w/ modeling chocolate/chocolate plastic?..i also tried making it w/ tootsie roll but the same thing happened, it was difficult working w/ it as it melts in my hands & became too sticky..i live in a tropical country & there's a high rate of humidity most of the time..please i need help as i have a cake to do for a dec6 wedding w/c needs chocolate roses... icon_cry.gif thanks in advance for any help/tips..

bobbie

14 replies
Shamitha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shamitha Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 9:49am
post #2 of 15

Hi. I live in a tropical island & I experienced silmilar problems. Before I work with fondant, I place my hands in a bowl of ice water to keep my hands cool & the fondant doesn't melt. Try it. HTH

bobhope Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 12:06pm
post #3 of 15

thanks seaqueen, but actually it's the chocolate modeling paste for making chocolate roses that i have a problem w/..but maybe your tip will do the trick..will give it a try icon_smile.gif

mandifrye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandifrye Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 4:56pm
post #4 of 15

My best suggestions would be to try to work in small time incriments. I, too, have hot hands and have to do one section at a time or the chocolate gets too soft on me. Try just making a few petals at a time, then leave them uncovered to rest for a few minutes, then do a few more and after they are all made, you can use your "hot hands" to your advantage to help them stick together.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help, but maybe someone else can chime in, too.

icon_biggrin.gif

bobhope Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 4:58pm
post #5 of 15

thanks mandifrye, ive tried that too but still having the same problem..i'm beginning to panic since wedding will be fist week of dec & i haven't figured out yet how to make this work for me icon_cry.gif ...so is anyone out there, please who can share tips on how to deal w/ my dilemma?..please?perhaps a better recipe that doesn't melt as much when handled?..thanks in advance

bobbie

giraffe11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
giraffe11 Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 5:03pm
post #6 of 15

First Impressions suggests in their tips to keep cornstarch nearby to prevent hands from sticking. This has worked well for me so far. I just spread a tiny bit of cornstarch on some parchment paper on the counter and pat my hands on it whenever they start sticking. Maybe that would help you.
Heather

bobhope Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 5:12pm
post #7 of 15

thanks heather..will definitely give it a try icon_smile.gif

webbiedeb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
webbiedeb Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 5:52pm
post #8 of 15

Try the ice water tip. I have hot hands and I have to cool my in the water very often. good luck

oosarahmarieoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oosarahmarieoo Posted 31 Oct 2008 , 2:03pm
post #9 of 15

I made modeling chocolate for the first time last night. 10oz. of semi sweet chips to 1/3 cup corn syrup. FAIL! it was stiff until I touched it. Then it would melt. It was really funny. I was using it for a Halloween Cake for a party tonight. Thankfully people will just find my cake funny. I made an orange cake (tapered so it is slightly whimsical looking!) and I wanted to use the modeling chocolate to make "fondant-type" circles and maybe a spider, etc. Well, after playing with the clay I decided to make my cake with dripping chocolate slime off the side. As soon as the chocolate hit the cake it would stiffen. But there was no way to form anything real with it. Then I decided to put a chocolate ghost in the middle of the cake. NEVER MAKE A CHOCOLATE GHOST. Especially if your cake is already slimed. I now have a giant turd with eyes on my cake. Happy Halloween!

bobhope Posted 31 Oct 2008 , 4:45pm
post #10 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by oosarahmarieoo

. I now have a giant turd with eyes on my cake. Happy Halloween!

you're funny LOL...

anyway, i have another question if & when i finally get to work around this chocolate roses, will they (the chocolate roses) hold up well in an open air/non aircon venue?i suggested to my client that we use chocolate fondant for the roses instead of the modeling chocolate.i'm still awaiting his reply... thanks..

bobbie icon_smile.gif

Jopalis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jopalis Posted 31 Oct 2008 , 5:10pm
post #11 of 15

I keep a fan going and you may need the a/c. I wouldn't use cornstarch. You will have white stuff stuck to your chocolate. Not attractive. You can use a hershey kiss for the centers. That will help a lot. Make little balls for your petals. Handle very quickly. Maybe find an instrument to smooth them on a silicone mat or non-stick paper. Handle as little as possible or in short durations. Put the a/c on even if to remove most of the humidity.

SeriousCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SeriousCakes Posted 31 Oct 2008 , 7:09pm
post #12 of 15

I use 1/3 c. corn syrup to 1 lb. candy melts and that works pretty good for me. I also have very hot hands and work on things in shifts. Once made though and I stop touching it the candy clay will harden and is fine left at room temp. Here's the latest cake I used the clay on:
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1276493
I made the figures a couple days ahead and left them uncovered at room temp until I needed them.

giraffe11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
giraffe11 Posted 31 Oct 2008 , 11:24pm
post #13 of 15

Oh, I use cornstarch all the time and it doesn't get on/show up on the chocolate. It's only to keep your hands dry and from sticking....not something you actually add to the chocolate. It's the same concept as when you dip your finger in cornstarch and smooth piping on a cake......no big deal.....it doesn't show.
On another note icon_smile.gif , I was just playing with my candy clay tonight making chocolate tombstones in a silicone mold. I loved them! So much detail..... Happy Halloween everyone!
And good luck with your roses.

mamacc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamacc Posted 1 Nov 2008 , 1:27pm
post #14 of 15

What recipe are you using? Maybe try increasing the amount of chocolate. I also like the one using 16 oz of chocolate to 1/3 corn syrup. Plus, I have started "milking" out the oils before I let it harden. This helps a lot!! All you have to do is mix it until it gets all watery. I let it sit for 5 minutes or so, then pick up a small piece and kind of squeeze it in your hands while kind of kneading it between your palms. A whole bunch of watery oils will come out. Keep working it in small batches, and then let it firm up... It's best if you let it sit overnight.

bobhope Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 4:49pm
post #15 of 15

thank you all for your tips & suggestions.really appreciate them..mamacc, i'm using toba garett's recipe w/c calls for 5 fl oz light corn syrup to a lb of ss chocolate..btw, i've convinced my client to have the chocolate fondant instead for the roses icon_smile.gif ...i'm so pressed for time as i have other cakes to do in between that it doesn't leave me much time to "play/test" w/ modeling chocolate..

regards,
bobbie

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%