How About A Thread To Seriously Discuss Chocolate Making?!?

Sugar Work By sayhellojana Updated 5 Oct 2011 , 1:33am by SpatulaGoddess

cmp24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cmp24 Posted 1 Dec 2008 , 1:49pm
post #391 of 883

mkolmar

I want that mold also. I can't find it any where though. This is for ice. not sure if it would work

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=m38.l1313&_nkw=shot+glass+mold&_sacat=See-All-Categories

jojo0676 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jojo0676 Posted 1 Dec 2008 , 2:35pm
post #392 of 883

I made the pumpkin ganache for Thanksgiving. YUMMY!!! I put them in a milk chocolate shell and they were great. Thanks for the recipe.

Hoping to try making homemade marshmallow this week, can't wait to try that. How long will they keep if covered in a chocolate shell?

Mary Jo

sayhellojana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sayhellojana Posted 1 Dec 2008 , 6:53pm
post #393 of 883

jojo - never had them stick around for more than 3 or 4 days,lol. They should keep for a very long time without trouble.

sayhellojana Posted 7 Dec 2008 , 6:07am
post #394 of 883

Oh gosh - the dead thread blues.

I made my first chocolate Christmas tree this weekend. It turned out really cute. I was wondering what you girls had to say about decorating it. I suppose I could make little fondant balls as ornaments, but it is done in 4 sections and I dont think it would look quite right. I could use white chocolate to drizzle, but that doesnt seem very "christmasy" to me. Any ideas?

How has everyone's yummy chocolate lives been? My thighs and I are ready for the holidays, thats for sure! lol.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 7 Dec 2008 , 6:14am
post #395 of 883

Right now my plans are to finally attempt the homemade marshmallows tomorrow. We will see how the day goes...

sayhellojana Posted 7 Dec 2008 , 8:05am
post #396 of 883

If you have the time, deffinantly do it. Their fantastic, I promise icon_smile.gif

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 7 Dec 2008 , 2:02pm
post #397 of 883

To those of you looking for that shot glass mold I got mine at Michaels, Its a Wilton mold. Jut the little Hollow cups you can make a shell or fill solid to I guess.. I also always buy at least 2 of every mold, making candy can take time and having 2 or more of each design comes in very handy! I made molded raspberry creams this week, Yummy ! I have to hide them from hubby or he will eat them all by Christmas!

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 7 Dec 2008 , 5:07pm
post #398 of 883

Hi everyone! Fiddlesticks, I couldn't agree more about having at least 2 of every mold. It makes things so much easier.

sayhellojana- That sounds like a really cute idea.

I want to try to make the marshmallows this week along with lots more molded chocolates and a few cakes for DH's business. I've never made the marshmallows but you all have sung their praises so I'm going to have to try them now. icon_razz.gif

mommarivera Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommarivera Posted 7 Dec 2008 , 5:24pm
post #399 of 883

Wow great thread I am going to have to come back later to read all of it !!!

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 2:05am
post #400 of 883

Well my attempted at my idea didn't work very well. I took the Wilton Silcone pans for Christmas and coated them in chocolate, crushed up some graham cracker and pipped in the fresh marshmallow. The problem came when trying to get them out of the molds.

I did take the extra marshmallow and just piped them on wax paper with the powder sugar and corn strach mixture. They are yummy so I'll probably do them again sometimes.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 2:40am
post #401 of 883

Wow! I finally got an email notice for this thread!!! Hopefully the glitches are worked out and we can get notices for other threads!! icon_biggrin.gif

Cookies4kids Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cookies4kids Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 1:31pm
post #402 of 883

I can't belive I just found this thread. I love, love anything chocolate so thanks to everyone who posted all these great recipes. I read through everything rather quickly but will go back through again.

Sipping chocolate got me thinking for the hot chocolate I served the little girls at the cookie party this weekend. I bought a half gallon of chocolate milk but it tasted so bland. I had some ganache left over so I heated that into the chocolate milk. Then I added a bottle of Peppermint White Chocolate coffee creamer and it was really good. You could add any flavor of creamer you wanted. Everyone wanted the recipe and I just said it was a "secret ingredient."

Thanks for the source for the chocolate cup mold at Michaels, Fiddle. I bought the cups at Target last week and filled them with Grasshopper Mousse. They were a big hit for the party and now I will try making my own molds for them. What method does everyone use to make your own? Fill and pour out or the brushing idea?

Bob--I will post my chocolate leaf method when I get back today.
Thanks everyone for all the good ideas. Is there a file for this thread?
Lily

mkolmar Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 3:32pm
post #403 of 883

Welcome to the thread lilybird. I fill the molds with chocolate then dump it out and take a large bench scraper (used only for baking of course) and go across the top. I tap out the air bubbles and then let it set. Once set I check for thin spots and might possibly have to do another chocolate layer or if it's only a few I brush it in.

Cookies4kids Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cookies4kids Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 2:03am
post #404 of 883

Thanks for the welcome mkolmar. I will try your method for the chocolate shot glasses hopefully this week.

Bobwonderbuns--Here is how I do my chocolate leaves. I tried to post it for you on that other thread but everything crashed and I don't think it got on. I always use different sized rose leaves as they are nice and thick and sturdy. I always pick them with as much stem as possible so I can hold that while doing the leaf. You want the chocolate fairly warm but not so hot that it "cooks" the leaf into the chocolate. Then it won't peal off nicely. I put a puddle of chocolate in the center of the back of the leaf and brush it out to the edges making sure you have a nice layer of chocolate over the whole leaf. Lay them on a cookie sheet and put in the frig until solid. Then I just peel off the leaf and store them in layers in a Tupperware container. Sometimes they will get a little bloom on them but just take a hairdrier on high and hold it high over them and it will restore the dark color.

These were two things that I recently learned but maybe you have all heard it before. The best tool for dipping most often is a white plastic fork with the center two teeth broken out. Hardly costs a thing and if it breaks toss it out.
For nice looking tops on dipped chocolate, I dip the candy and let it sit on parchment. When I am all done with that, I fill a throwaway pastry bag with warm chocolate and make the pretty design on the tops of all of them. I always had trouble trying to do it in one step.
Lily

aubrazacmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aubrazacmom Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 2:31pm
post #405 of 883

I just bought some plastic 1 oz shot glasses at my local grocery store (Hannaford) they came in a pack of 24 in the liquor section. Not sure if they are going to work but they were $1.99 so I figured I could give it a try. Just an FYI

sayhellojana Posted 10 Dec 2008 , 1:15am
post #406 of 883

aubra - are you going to try to use them as molds?

fiddlesticks Posted 12 Dec 2008 , 1:57am
post #407 of 883

Is any one making any choc,s ??
I found the cutest mold today .. Its a candy cane mold . you put a reg candy cane in the mold and its got a choc santa made on the mold do that it looks like santa is climbing up the candy cane!
I never saw this mold before. Its adorable ! Its cute even if you dont paint the Choc santa to !

auntginn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntginn Posted 12 Dec 2008 , 2:36am
post #408 of 883

Oh well please share, who is this mold by. It sounds adorable. Would love to have some.

tammy712 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tammy712 Posted 12 Dec 2008 , 2:47am
post #409 of 883

I would too!! Please post fiddlesticks. I could never have enough candy molds!! hehe

fiddlesticks Posted 12 Dec 2008 , 2:48am
post #410 of 883

Hi auntginn... Its a Wilton mold, its a 4 cavitie mold. It has 2 different Santa designs. There was only 1 of these. I would of bought at least 2 if they had more.I buy 2 of every mold I get its so much easier that way !

fiddlesticks Posted 12 Dec 2008 , 2:58am
post #411 of 883

Candy cane mold!

mkolmar Posted 12 Dec 2008 , 3:01am
post #412 of 883

I've been making chocolates for 2 days straight. I've had very little sleep. My candy therm. was completely off and I ruined hours worth of work once it started to bloom later on since I didn't temper it correctly. I was so mad but all I could do is laugh and think of it as a learning experience. Come to find out the therm was saying everything was 15 degrees cooler than what it was. Oh well, DH ordered me a choc. therm that should be coming in soon. The good news is that they tasted the same just were kind of uglier so I took the misfits to the salon I go to when I had an appt. yesterday. Within an hour 2 plates of chocolates were gone, so they obviously didn't care. Even got 3 calls asking for orders.
Today's chocolate making went a lot better. I have a whole sheet tray of chocolates done for tomorrow. Woo-hoo! It all worked out. I even had enough chocolate left in the bowl to do 4 candies for my kids so I mixed there's with rice crispies that were lightly crunched up.

I have more chocolates to do this next week. Probably at least another 20+ hours for DH's business. Man, I must love him since I'm doing this for free. I have to admit the night that those chocolates didn't turn out I made cupcakes at 4am just to cover my butt. icon_lol.gif The cupcakes were so much easier that I think I may just make some more of them to cut that chocolate making time down.

fiddlesticks Posted 12 Dec 2008 , 3:02am
post #413 of 883

here it is !
LL

tammy712 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tammy712 Posted 12 Dec 2008 , 3:13am
post #414 of 883

Thanks fiddlesticks for sharing. I will have to keep an eye out for that one. That is really cute!!

Tammy

jojo0676 Posted 12 Dec 2008 , 1:23pm
post #415 of 883

I have the same mold with snowmen on the candy canes. It is a Wilton mold also, got it at Joanns. I hope to make some for DD, nieces and nephew this weekend.

Mary Jo

fiddlesticks Posted 12 Dec 2008 , 3:10pm
post #416 of 883

Thanks Mary Jo. Im going there today I will give them a look .This is the first time I have seen that design mold, maybe its this area!! Do you have any pic,s of them done you can post here ?

fiddlesticks Posted 12 Dec 2008 , 6:23pm
post #417 of 883

Well I didnt find any more candy cane molds but I did find the dessert shell mold ...NOT as in the shape of a shell but as in a small oval dish type mold.. its around 3ins oval and you make a shell and fill it with whatever ..Just like you would use the shot glass mold, which I love !

jojo0676 Posted 12 Dec 2008 , 8:45pm
post #418 of 883

I haven't gotten any snowman canes made yet. I realized I only have red and blue chocolate, no green so unfortunately I have to go get some Wilton green melts 'cause I don't want to drive an hour to buy just green Merckens. I hope to get them made this weekend or early next week, I will post a pic when they're done.

I have been busy though. I made a ton of chocolate covered pretzels, dipped in milk chocolate with red, green and white nonpareils. And, I made peppermint bark for the first time. So easy, will definitely be a keeper.

I also made the pecan logs someone posted a recipe for. This required me making homemade caramel for the first time too. Yum. I used Gale Gand's recipe from Food Netowrk and it is great. The pecan logs are awesome, a favorite of mine and great homemade. Thanks for the recipe! And, I plan to use some of the caramel I made for chocolate dipped caramels and turtles! All much better with the homemade stuff. I was surprised how easy it was, but learned you have to use a wooden spoon with a long handle because it splashes when you add the butter, and molten sugar hurts, lol.

Hoping to do lots more this weekend as long as this baby in my belly cooperates and lets me stand long enough to do all these things. Only 5 weeks to go and he/she is starting to make me uncomfortable.

Mary Jo

fiddlesticks Posted 12 Dec 2008 , 9:01pm
post #419 of 883

OH MY !!Well Congrats to you . maybe a xmas or New Yrs baby ! Yes This was my first yr to make home made caramels to. So delicious, I have to make another batch probobly this weekend if not then mon! They just melt in your mouth. Yes I also make the bark every yr, yummy! Im doing some pretzels this weekend to !! Busy busy!!

laura_d_v Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
laura_d_v Posted 13 Dec 2008 , 2:30am
post #420 of 883

I posted this over in the candy making forum, but noticed it wasn't getting much traffic, so thought I would post this here as well. I will also be spending some time looking through this thread. On page 7 so far and already so much info and things I want to try!

So here goes...
I'm experimenting with using lorann oils in a ganache filling for truffles and I'm trying to figure out a good amount per pound of chocolate. I've read how they are three to four times as potent as extracts but I was wondering if anyone had more specific ideas.

Thanks so much!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%