Fondant??

Decorating By lindseyR Updated 25 Oct 2008 , 8:44pm by JenniferMI

lindseyR Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lindseyR Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 1:30am
post #1 of 5

I am just starting out decorating cakes. I am wondering what most people are using for fondant, do you make your own or do you buy? I have used the wilton brand but it is really disgusting in taste so i hate to work with it. i have made my own recipe that i found on the web but its kinda flimsy. Any suggestions out there?
Also how do you get all the icing sugar or conrstarch off the fondant once it is on the cake?

4 replies
PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 3:27am
post #2 of 5

I use satin ice. I love the way it handles and it tastes great. I roll with cornstarch. but I use a VERY light dusting... VERY light. There really isn't any excess left on the cake once I smooth the fondant with my hand... if there is I just dry brush it off. I also airbrush my cakes with a pearl or similar finish and that helps to finish off and little bits that might be left, especially on dark colors. Some people roll with shortening rather than PS or CS.

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 4:14am
post #3 of 5

PinkZiab has given you great info! thumbs_up.gif

I don't think there are many folks who like Wilton's fondant (I've only ever met one person who liked the taste of it) but I think it's okay to use for accents that are not going to be eaten as it is not as expensive as some premade fondants especially when you can use Michael's coupons.
There are several different premade brands of fondants that people here like but it is definitely a personal preference. If you don't mind making your own there is currently a discussion going on about 2 of the recipes that can be found here on CC, here's the link:

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-607591.html

cakebaker1978 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaker1978 Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 4:31am
post #4 of 5

I make Marshmallow Fondant. It tastes good and is easy to work with. I color the fondant when the marshmallow is melted..(before I add the icing sugar) Here is the link to the recipe and website that got me hooked on Fondant!!!

http://whatscookingamerica.net/PegW/Fondant.htm

Once I melt the marshmallows, I add the color and then I through it in my kitchen Aid(with the dough hook) and then add the icing sugar. So easy to make! Hope that helped!!!

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 8:44pm
post #5 of 5

I use a semi-homemade chocolate fondant. LOVE the way it performs and tastses! NO elephant skin, ever... it's very strong so you can roll it thin.

To get the pdr. sugar off, just take a soft brush, it that doesn't do it, you can put vodka thru an airbrush and airbrush the whole cake or run some crisco (very lt. coat) over the whole cake. The crisco will soak in.

HTH!

Jen icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%