Help With Fondant......cracking Everywhere!!!

Decorating By rebew10 Updated 2 Nov 2008 , 3:03am by Beckalita

rebew10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rebew10 Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 12:30pm
post #1 of 9

I need help immediately......First time using Satin Ice fondant and it is cracking everywhere when I put it on the cake!!! I had been using Wilton fondant and never had this problem. I have to have this cake done in 4 hours and have three layers to cover and decorate. Please help!! icon_cry.gif

8 replies
rebew10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rebew10 Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 2:20pm
post #2 of 9

Fixed it......I think I might have been trying to put it on too thin.

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 2:24pm
post #3 of 9

thumbs_up.gif I'm not a fan of SI because it dries so fast and so hard. Glad you fixed it!

beamom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beamom Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 2:28pm
post #4 of 9

yes I only used SI for emergencies. Make sure your are not using a lot of corn starch. I used SI for a long time and recently I switch to Bekel and I will never use SI again.

kjt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjt Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 2:28pm
post #5 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacsMom

thumbs_up.gif I'm not a fan of SI because it dries so fast and so hard. Glad you fixed it!

What is your preference?
Do you use the same for covering a cake and modelling? Thanks!

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 5:09pm
post #6 of 9

I use MMF since it very easy to make, inexpensive, and I've gotten to where I can make a double batch in under 12 mins. Can't beat that!
http://cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-7262-0-Buttercream-MMF.html

I have heard raves about Fondx, but I haven't tried it since it doesn't come in black or red. (I hate making black and red MMF - it never comes out right).

I did like Fondarific -- their buttercream flavor is amazing. It is very soft, though, so I'd only use to cover a cake, I don't recommend for trying to make decorations and definately not for use in figurines. Even with mixed with gunpaste it remained very soft. It's not sticky, though. The texture is different from any fondant I've tried. And it's also expensive.

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 8:46pm
post #7 of 9

I'm not a Satin Ice fan either, the consistency changes from batch to batch.

Jen icon_smile.gif

FullHouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullHouse Posted 1 Nov 2008 , 8:50pm
post #8 of 9

I had the same problem when I used Satin Ice for the first time last weekend. I feel better reading that it's not just me. I also tried making the MMF from this site and had a hard time with it crumbling. The only other kind I've tried is Wilton and although I don't love the taste, it seems to be the easier for me to hanle. I'm going to try Bekel or Fondarific at some point, thanks for the info.

Beckalita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Beckalita Posted 2 Nov 2008 , 3:03am
post #9 of 9

I used Satin Ice for the first time today, and had great results! I used Crisco instead of cornstarch, however....

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%