Question On Tiered Cakes

Decorating By ape74 Updated 24 Oct 2008 , 12:40pm by leannsloan

ape74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ape74 Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 5:06am
post #1 of 6

Does anyone have a link for a video that shows how to decorate tiered cakes, or actually the stacked cakes that go on top of another? I think someone said that I need to decorate all the cakes separately and then start stacking, but I'm curious. How do you do it so that you won't ruin the cake as you pick it up? I'm talking about buttercream as I assume fondant covered cakes are easier because if your fingers make a mark, you can erase it with the smoother right? How do you not ruin a buttercream iced cake? Sorry so many questions...too much info and I'm starting to feel overwhelmed... icon_sad.gif

5 replies
newbie08 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newbie08 Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 8:06am
post #2 of 6

As a fellow (very) newbie to cake decorating your questions are ones I have had myself so hopefully we will get some answers soon icon_smile.gif

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 8:45am
post #3 of 6

Some decorators don't push the dowels all the way in...they allow the weight of the cake to push them down...the space created by the raised dowels allows finger room. I prefer using a spatula...similar to the second link.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 12:12pm
post #4 of 6

I'm a spatula girl, too. I also position the cake so I'm pulling the spatula out from the back of the cake (not the front), so if there is any 'damage' to the cake, it's in the back. I usually add the border after I assemble it, though, so any smudges are covered by the border or the ribbon anyway.

cakelady15 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady15 Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 12:30pm
post #5 of 6

I believe that Wilton also sells a cake lifter. It looks like a big spatula but it's much wider so that it doesn't bend when you put a cake on it. I haven't used it myself, but I've seen someone use it and it seems to be pretty easy.

leannsloan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leannsloan Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 12:40pm
post #6 of 6

Sugarshack has a great dvd that tells how to stack cakes. The dvd is great!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%