Huge Setback !!

Business By CakeForte Updated 24 Oct 2008 , 4:42pm by snarkybaker

CakeForte Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeForte Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 4:03am
post #1 of 3

I finally get everything lined up to get my kitchen started with an estimated opening of Spring 09. I get my plans turned in and the health department called me today. I'm so happy because FINALLY after 2 years this is getting off the ground. They said Everything looks good for the project BUT they are sending everything back because i have to go through the city.

My building is right on the city limits and county line, and they can't agree on who has jurisdiction. So how do they decide who goes to county health dept and who goes to city health dept. By the address! All odd numbers go to county, all even go to city. Of course my address is even.

I guess this has been an issue before because the lady I spoke with said she had to call the city and double check because she wasn't sure herself, although she definitely said I'm in the county, but ALSO on the city line.

So I get home, research the city rules and then the bomb drops... the city is a lot more strict on the everything and the fees are 3x's as high.
So now, I'm not even sure if my building is even going to work. I mean it will work if invest $15-20k in remodels to get the building finished to city specs, on top of what I have already spent to get this business going.

The county allows a separate kitchen in your own home, but I'm not anywhere close to being a home owner, so that is out.

Ugh...I'm sooooo frustrated. I have to come up with something fast b/c my lease is up soon. I WAS going to renew it for 3 years. Now I don't know what to do.

2 replies
-Tubbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-Tubbs Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 4:15am
post #2 of 3

I'm so sorry to hear that. You must be very frustrated; after all that hard work.

I don't have anything helpful to suggest, except that you submit the plans you already have to the city and see what they say. Will there be a cost for that evaluation? If not, you have nothing to lose and they may be a little more 'flexible', since you are right on the border.

I hope you get some good news and can go ahead.

snarkybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snarkybaker Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 4:42pm
post #3 of 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeForte

I finally get everything lined up to get my kitchen started with an estimated opening of Spring 09. I get my plans turned in and the health department called me today. I'm so happy because FINALLY after 2 years this is getting off the ground. They said Everything looks good for the project BUT they are sending everything back because i have to go through the city.

My building is right on the city limits and county line, and they can't agree on who has jurisdiction. So how do they decide who goes to county health dept and who goes to city health dept. By the address! All odd numbers go to county, all even go to city. Of course my address is even.

I guess this has been an issue before because the lady I spoke with said she had to call the city and double check because she wasn't sure herself, although she definitely said I'm in the county, but ALSO on the city line.

So I get home, research the city rules and then the bomb drops... the city is a lot more strict on the everything and the fees are 3x's as high.
So now, I'm not even sure if my building is even going to work. I mean it will work if invest $15-20k in remodels to get the building finished to city specs, on top of what I have already spent to get this business going.

The county allows a separate kitchen in your own home, but I'm not anywhere close to being a home owner, so that is out.

Ugh...I'm sooooo frustrated. I have to come up with something fast b/c my lease is up soon. I WAS going to renew it for 3 years. Now I don't know what to do.

I am not sure, but that seems to be illegal. You are either in the county or in the city. You need to look at your property tax bill,( or ask your landlord) it will either be charged at a city or a county rate and that is what determines the laws you are bound by.
Having had my own set of issues with the town bulding department and then the county health department, I sympathize. That just sucks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%