How Far In Advance Can You Make Cookies?

Baking By LoriMc Updated 27 Oct 2008 , 3:17am by shiney

LoriMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoriMc Posted 23 Oct 2008 , 4:07pm
post #1 of 7

I need to make 85 for a Halloween party Saturday night. They will be picked up Saturday at 11 am. I baked them this morning....do you think I started too early? They are sugar cookies with RBC and royal. I really have no idea what the shelf life is.

I guess I could always stick them in the freezer for a day???

6 replies
GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 23 Oct 2008 , 5:26pm
post #2 of 7

No, you didn't start too early. I made some cookies on a Wednesday, ate them on a Saturday, and kept a few around until the next Wednesday. The cookies were not bagged or in containers, they were just sitting on the counter. The week old cookies tasted just fine.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 23 Oct 2008 , 5:38pm
post #3 of 7

nah........those puppies last for a LOOOOOONGGGGGGGGGGGGG time and still taste great!

LoriMc Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 1:01am
post #4 of 7

I have 60 more for this weekend! Ahhh!

Has anybody baked the sugar cookies, and frozen them for a couple days? Does this effect the taste or anything?

shiney Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shiney Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 1:23am
post #5 of 7

Lori, I've frozen many times, they taste great. I also froze some with TG on, and they were wonderful and soft, and the glace still looked good, not sticky or anything. I'm doing some today for next weekend, since I now know I can freeze them already glaced, and will do the detailing Friday night for my fundraiser on Saturday. Hopefully I'll get the same result icon_wink.gif

LoriMc Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 3:08am
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiney

Lori, I've frozen many times, they taste great. I also froze some with TG on, and they were wonderful and soft, and the glace still looked good, not sticky or anything. I'm doing some today for next weekend, since I now know I can freeze them already glaced, and will do the detailing Friday night for my fundraiser on Saturday. Hopefully I'll get the same result icon_wink.gif

That's great to know. Do you have any tips on storing them in the freezer? I put RBC on mine, so I think I will store them undecorated as I don't have time to decorate tomorrow!

Also wondering how long sugar cookie dough can stay frozen?

shiney Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shiney Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 3:17am
post #7 of 7

I know some put them in freezer ziploc bags, I actually put them into clear (with redish lid) Rubbermaid containers, they are airtight, they have some really deep ones, I get them at Walmart. I put parchment paper between layers. In the deep ones, I make sure more sturdy cookies are at the bottom to avoid breakage.
I've only frozen dough once, for about a week or so, it actually improved my cookies (another thread called baking powder in freezer).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%