Help... My First Wedding Cake!!!

Decorating By odm_post Updated 24 Oct 2008 , 4:23pm by odm_post

odm_post Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
odm_post Posted 23 Oct 2008 , 10:27am
post #1 of 6

Hi....

I've only done birthday cakes so far, and now someone ordered a wedding cake. I'm really flattered by this.... so I want to do it right....

First of all.... it's not a big party, there'll only be about 60 guests. And the bride wants a very simple heart shape cake.

So what I have in mind is: making a heart shape using 12" round pan and 12" square pan... actually that'll feed 80+.... but it's always more than less, or I can always carve it smaller if I think it's too huge.
As for the topping, the bride isn't very particular but she wants something red, like strawberries, so I 'm thinking about filling it up with red roses.

Now the questions icon_razz.gif
1. Should I make the roses from BC or RI? I'm not very good with fondant, so I leave out that option icon_razz.gif
2. How may days in advance should I start making the roses? I know there are a lot of experts here.... can anybody tell me more or less how many I'm looking at?
3. Should I just stick with all red roses, or add some leaves?
4. If the bride doesn't want a cake topper, don't you think it looks a bit plain - just a heart shape cake with a bunch of roses?
5. What kind of border at the bottom should I use? Ruffle? Rossette? Beads?

Anybody can suggest more ideas on how to make this look more like a wedding cake? In my mind they're either stacked or tiered, so when it's just one layer, it's a bit errr..... But this is what the bride wants....

Oh... this cake is for Mid of November.

Thank you very much in advance.....

5 replies
cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 23 Oct 2008 , 1:28pm
post #2 of 6

So hold on... it's only going to be one tier? I guess I can see why she wouldn't want a topper if there aren't going to be anymore layers. What a strange request for a wedding cake. I think a bead border would be pretty...or you could do a rosette. I would probably put a few leaves here and there. You could start the BC or RI roses a few days in advance.

Goodluck!!

cupcakemkr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arosstx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arosstx Posted 23 Oct 2008 , 4:53pm
post #4 of 6

Edited because I totally read your post wrong! Sorry!

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 23 Oct 2008 , 5:02pm
post #5 of 6

Did they say they DON"T want a tiered cake??? I would be inclined to make at least a two tiered heart shaped cake, maybe separated with roses to fill in between the layers and then a mound of roses on top for the topper! But if they said they wanted only one tier, then I like the one posted above with the cornelli lace (white on white) with just a little mound of roses in the center! Very wedding looking to me!

odm_post Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
odm_post Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 4:23pm
post #6 of 6

Thank you for the replies icon_smile.gif

cylstrial: She did say she wanted a VERY simple cake, so....

cupcakemkr: Thanks for all the links. I particularly like the one with cornelli lace and the one with roses on one side. But will it look like a wedding cake?

KHalstead: The picture she showed me was one tier. I did mention that it'd look more like a wedding cake if it's tiered, and she said she's open for suggestion. Again.... I'm new to this, to make like what you suggested, how do I go about the dowels?

Thanks again....

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%