Flexible Royal Icing Recipe????

Decorating By angiev77 Updated 12 Nov 2008 , 12:49am by dellboi2u

angiev77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angiev77 Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 10:18pm
post #1 of 10

Has anyone ever heard of a recipe for a flexible royal icing? I saw on tv where they piped a spiderweb to drape over a cake but said they were using a flexible royal icing. It held it's shape but was still flexible and I would like to try it on a cake. Any help would be appreciated.

9 replies
dragonflydreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dragonflydreams Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 10:28pm
post #2 of 10

. . . sugarveil is the only one I know of . . . http://www.sugarveil.com/

here are other threads that talks about it too . . . http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-6133508-.html#6133508 . . . and this one . . . http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-32371-sugarveil.html+recipe

wendy1273 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wendy1273 Posted 23 Oct 2008 , 2:19am
post #3 of 10

I saw that show too, I would like to know that recipe also.

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 23 Oct 2008 , 2:27am
post #4 of 10

I've not tried this recipe but it seems like this is what it was created to do...

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-7282-Gummy-Spider-Webs.html

kirsten6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kirsten6 Posted 23 Oct 2008 , 2:39am
post #5 of 10

Sugar veil is flexible. You can order it from many sites and from sugarveil online. It comes in powder form in a bag that you mix up. You can pipe it or use their machine for smaller detail. The machine is kind of pricey...($200 ???) but it helps with hand fatigue if you have arthritis as you don't have to squeeze. I don't remember the cost of just the powder though. They also sell a dvd and comb for making designs.

Hope this helps....

giraffe11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
giraffe11 Posted 23 Oct 2008 , 2:45am
post #6 of 10

The gal who posted the "gummy spider webs" recipe did a Halloween cake with her flexible webs. You can find it in her pictures. She was trying to imitate sugarveil without spending the extra cash. give it a try.
Heather

dellboi2u Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dellboi2u Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 3:10am
post #7 of 10

I'm the one who posted the picture of the gummy spider webs... it's in my pictures if you want to see. When I first did it I experimented with white, and it worked out great. The only thing is it was difficult to get an even piping with a very fine tip. Just make sure that you strain the geletin after you mix it so that you don't get any geletin chunks because they clog up your tip. Also, you have to work with it very warm. I left some webs out over night and I was still able to pick them up and bend them without any cracking. Another key, is make sure that you rub crisco on the wax paper, it will still come off if you miss a spot, but not nearly as easy. Good luck and let me know how it all comes out!! I posted the recipe as gummy spider webs.
Thanks!
Rachel
(dellboi2u)

wendy1273 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wendy1273 Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 1:40pm
post #8 of 10

Thank you so much dellboi2u, your cake is great.

PattyT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PattyT Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 12:47am
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by angiev77

Has anyone ever heard of a recipe for a flexible royal icing? I saw on tv where they piped a spiderweb to drape over a cake but said they were using a flexible royal icing. It held it's shape but was still flexible and I would like to try it on a cake. Any help would be appreciated.

I just saw the show. It aired again last night. Amazing Cakes / Skull Cake. It didn't look like "gummi" it was pretty firm, not floppy. She bent it into the curve over the cake and it held the shape.

Is this how the posted recipe turns out?

Thanks in advance.

dellboi2u Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dellboi2u Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 12:49am
post #10 of 10

it is more gummy that what I saw in the show... I'm guessing by appearance... more like gummy worms

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%