Indydebi's Crisco Buttercream Icing........

Decorating By tannersmom Updated 29 Oct 2008 , 7:03pm by tannersmom

tannersmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tannersmom Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 1:11am
post #1 of 32

I just want to say that this lady is da "BOMB ".
I just made her recipe for buttercream icing and this stuff is off the hook. If you've never tried it, please do, it's delicious. I'm a fan. Much much better than WIlton's. Sorry Wilton fans. Thanks Indydebi for sharing such a wonderful recipe.

Stephanie

31 replies
KASCARLETT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KASCARLETT Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 2:28am
post #2 of 32

I agree - it IS delicious! It's the only buttercream recipe that I use now.

sari66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sari66 Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 3:00am
post #3 of 32

I agree it's great!

TyTy78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TyTy78 Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 1:23pm
post #4 of 32

I agree...I even took it to class last week and got RAVE reviews from it. Even from my instructor!

KKC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KKC Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 9:48pm
post #5 of 32

I first used it last week and it was great...easy and inexpensive to make. Won't even attempt to try any other buttercream.

Dinny2222 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dinny2222 Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 9:56pm
post #6 of 32

Where is this recipe?

Jayde Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jayde Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 10:07pm
post #7 of 32

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-6992-Indydebis-Crisco-Based-Buttercream-Icing.html

The only thing that I do differently is sometimes I use the butter flavored Crisco, and sometimes I do use 1/2 butter 1/2 crisco.

Susie53 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Susie53 Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 10:11pm
post #8 of 32
gr8cakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gr8cakemaker Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 10:12pm
post #9 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by tannersmom

Much much better than WIlton's. Sorry Wilton fans. Thanks Indydebi for sharing such a wonderful recipe.

Stephanie

Yea, Ive been using Wilton's and have crossed over...looking back....wiltons just wasnt that great icon_confused.gif

jlsheik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlsheik Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 10:21pm
post #10 of 32

I have been using it for the last year...it is... that great!!!! I did find that I can put store brand powder whipped top in it...I always double the batch and use half dream whip and half store brand....it cuts my cost down some. Just thought I would share.

Melissa0567 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melissa0567 Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 10:21pm
post #11 of 32

I too use Indydebi's bc icing, it taste really good. I add a teaspoon of butter flavor to it, I can eat it by the spoonful. I also add 6-8 oz of melted white chocolate if I need a white bc or milk chcoclate for are brown chcoclate. It is sooo good. Thanks Indydebi for sharing your wonderful recipe.

butternut Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butternut Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 10:36pm
post #12 of 32

I've been planning on trying this recipe. Just wondering if anyone has made it by using hi ratio shortening instead of Crisco? I normally use the hi ratio so I was just curious.

Jopalis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jopalis Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 10:50pm
post #13 of 32

What do you think is the main difference...taste, performance, etc. in this icing? How does it vary from other bc's using shortening or shortening and butter? The main difference I see is the Dream Whip.... Does it pipe well? Flowers, borders, etc. ?

jlsheik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlsheik Posted 23 Oct 2008 , 12:05am
post #14 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jopalis

What do you think is the main difference...taste, performance, etc. in this icing? How does it vary from other bc's using shortening or shortening and butter? The main difference I see is the Dream Whip.... Does it pipe well? Flowers, borders, etc. ?

The taste is fabulous and it does not leave that greezy tongue feeling like you have been eating sweaters...lol
I use it for all flowers, borders and well everything!! It smooths out crusts to be flawless with the help of viva paper towel. All of my cakes are made with it.

OhioBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OhioBaker Posted 23 Oct 2008 , 6:17pm
post #15 of 32

I also only use Indydebi's recipe for BC. It tastes great without a greasy feel in your mouth and it crusts perfectly! I get many, many compliments from this recipe. Try it, you won't be sorry.

KUDOS to Indydebi! icon_lol.gifthumbs_up.gif

Jopalis Posted 23 Oct 2008 , 6:21pm
post #16 of 32

I will.... icon_smile.gif Wonder what the Dream Whip stuff does for it?

heather1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heather1 Posted 23 Oct 2008 , 7:04pm
post #17 of 32

Sounds yummy, cant wait to try it. However I was wondering since it has milk in it does it have to be refridgerated? TIA

diamond008 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diamond008 Posted 23 Oct 2008 , 7:07pm
post #18 of 32

I was wondering also about it be refrigerated. Also, is it okay for the cake to sit out for very long with milk in the icing. Just looking at the 5 hours/high humidity.

Jopalis Posted 23 Oct 2008 , 7:12pm
post #19 of 32

I think it was stated that it can sit out... Most of the time they say with that much sugar it's ok. Maybe someone else can comment....

tannersmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tannersmom Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 2:43pm
post #20 of 32

I think the dream whip adds a creamy smooth flavor to it. I use it to pipe borders, roses and flowers. It is an icing that will crust. It's not as sweet to me as wilton's buttercream. It's almost like a whipped icing. If you've never tried it, make it. It's not that expensive to make. I'm not speaking for Indydebi but I think I read somewhere that she will leave her icing out for about 2 wks. (in an air tight container). If I'm wrong, will someone correct me. I leave mine out. I haven't had any problems with it.

lchristi27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lchristi27 Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 2:52pm
post #21 of 32

Is the new non-trans fat crisco still working ok for this recipe?

CAKESABC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CAKESABC Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 3:09pm
post #22 of 32

The Dream Whip adds a wonderful taste to the buttercream and it does crust nicely.

I use the new Crisco with this recipe, and I have never had a problem with it.

kbw5780 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kbw5780 Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 3:10pm
post #23 of 32

I have had a hard time finding the Dream Whip. What does it look like so I will know what I am looking for? I called myself looking very intently yesterday when I was at the grocery store and could never find it!

Thanks!

tpierce62 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tpierce62 Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 3:44pm
post #24 of 32

Does it have to be refrigerated?

cosmogurl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cosmogurl Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 3:46pm
post #25 of 32

Can you substitute wilton whipped icing mix for the dream whip?
Laurie

Melissa0567 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melissa0567 Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 10:40pm
post #26 of 32

You can find the Dream Whip in the baking isle. It does not have to be refridgerated, store in a air tight container on the counter. I use it all the time after it has sat out for a week or so. but it usually doesn't last that long around here. You should try it.

kbw5780 Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 3:27pm
post #27 of 32

I tried it for one I made last night and it was wonderful!!!! I finally found the Dream Whip beside the jello. Thanks!

cosmogurl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cosmogurl Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 1:03pm
post #28 of 32

How much does this recipe make? cup wise?

pastryjen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastryjen Posted 29 Oct 2008 , 1:33pm
post #29 of 32

Just made this recipe and it is a little gritty - tastes fabulous though.

I used water instead of milk (just habit!) and then I used a store brand whipped "dream whip".

Would those two substitutions be the culprit?

I'm going to use it for a little cake we have for the family today so I'll see how great it is to work with.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

kbw5780 Posted 29 Oct 2008 , 1:52pm
post #30 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by pastryjen

Just made this recipe and it is a little gritty - tastes fabulous though.

I used water instead of milk (just habit!) and then I used a store brand whipped "dream whip".

Would those two substitutions be the culprit?

I'm going to use it for a little cake we have for the family today so I'll see how great it is to work with.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

I used the Kraft Dream Whip and milk and it wasn't gritty for me. I blended it for a while and I actually used more milk than called for. It did fine!! Not gritty at all!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%