Question For Those Who Bake And Sell From Home

Business By mommaroxy Updated 29 Nov 2014 , 4:52pm by mls2604

goldenegg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
goldenegg Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 6:01pm
post #211 of 223

higginspeg, that is exactly what i would do, forward-thinking and planning is the way to go in my opinion.

Carolynlovescake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carolynlovescake Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 6:53pm
post #212 of 223

I didn't have to save to license my kitchen.

To revamp the garage I am. I have a long task list on what needs to be revamped.

I am taking a small amount per payday and purchasing and scheduling the work as I can afford it.

It's all about saving and budgeting. I refuse to open my business with any loans. The day the doors open on the new "shop" it will be with zero debt. I don't care if it takes longer it will be less stressful trying to watch orders vs. loan payments due like many of my friends are right now.

Some of them are closing up shop because orders coming in vs. needing to make loan payments are falling short. They can't pay the loan and the bank wants their money. They gambled and lost.

So hubby and I agree, open debt free or don't open at all right now.

higginspeg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
higginspeg Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 9:26pm
post #213 of 223

I do live in an older neighborhood in my town. We don't have subdivision dues or whatever they are called (just got off work and have medical terminology in my head, can't thinkn of real world words). Anyway, I know that some areas across the states allow you to have a building on your lot that are like 300 sf or something like that. There are plans out there for making a cute little building complete with full bathroom and sleeping area in this space. You don't have to get a permit to construct it because it's already included in the deed restrictions. Believe it or not 300 sf is bigger than it sounds and one could get a really nice little kitchen out of that area if one thought it through carefully enough. I'd have to get permits for installing running water, electricity and the special grease trap thingy you have to have, but I've thought if things were really going well that is something I could afford to do, with no overhead. I'd go to clients instead of them coming to me even. But again, there is an expense involved, and then equipment. I figured it would be worth it and if we ever sold the house, I could pull the equipment and, what a great bonus room someone would have to do whatever in, complete with running water and electricity! I'm still remodeling the inside with the goal of being finished this coming year though. We've done all the work ourselves on the remodel, so building a little building from scratch shouldn't be too difficulty. It would be easy for something like that to pass inspection if everything was in compliance. Now, it things really took off from there, I could always go for it and open a shop, but I'm not there yet! laughing. Again, though, taking it one step at a time. If you jump into something like this unprepared, you could find yourself sinking instead of swimming.

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 10:35pm
post #214 of 223

I dont know how all states work, and if your kitchen actually has to be a in a different building, but I converted the extra bedroom (in law suite they called, but its really just an extra bedroom) on our first floor into a bakery room. We had the closet run with plumbing and put in a big commerical double sink, and electric run to carry all the extra load. It isn't a HUGE room (16x16) but it does the trick! I don't have to use my regular kitchen, so I don't risk mixing chicken with bakery items, it has its own fridge and I don't have to clean up everything when its time to make dinner..I can pick up later on. It was a few thousand to do, (compared to a whole building or getting a garage up to code, it wasnt bad) and if I want to convert it back to a bedroom, the plumbing in the closet can either be tapped off or you could put a wet bar in there!
This is also something you can do as you can afford, and before you know it, you have a bakery room!

higginspeg Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 10:51pm
post #215 of 223

I think the state stuff says it can't open to the living or sleeping areas, that's why I was thinking a whole separate building that could be used as something else later on. My yards are huge (live on a corner and the original owners purchased 10 extra feet from the lot next door), so I have the room. We talked about the garage too, but I'd still have to do the water thing. I have a half bath off my kitchen, that we have been wanting to knock out and I could move the laundry room somewhere else, except for the fact that it opens to my living areas. SIGH. Unfortunately, the building itself sounds better and better. I keep trying to talk my husband into finding a little old house and moving it in the yard and converting it, but he says cost too much to move it here, yada yada. He's generally supportive and while at Lowe's this weekend we did look at a prefab building that would work, but it costs like 5000 dollars! laughing. thanks for the info though. I am thinking you might not be in Texas?????

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 11:04pm
post #216 of 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by higginspeg

I do live in an older neighborhood in my town. We don't have subdivision dues or whatever they are called (just got off work and have medical terminology in my head, can't thinkn of real world words). Anyway, I know that some areas across the states allow you to have a building on your lot that are like 300 sf or something like that. There are plans out there for making a cute little building complete with full bathroom and sleeping area in this space. You don't have to get a permit to construct it because it's already included in the deed restrictions. Believe it or not 300 sf is bigger than it sounds and one could get a really nice little kitchen out of that area if one thought it through carefully enough. I'd have to get permits for installing running water, electricity and the special grease trap thingy you have to have, but I've thought if things were really going well that is something I could afford to do, with no overhead. I'd go to clients instead of them coming to me even. But again, there is an expense involved, and then equipment. I figured it would be worth it and if we ever sold the house, I could pull the equipment and, what a great bonus room someone would have to do whatever in, complete with running water and electricity! I'm still remodeling the inside with the goal of being finished this coming year though. We've done all the work ourselves on the remodel, so building a little building from scratch shouldn't be too difficulty. It would be easy for something like that to pass inspection if everything was in compliance. Now, it things really took off from there, I could always go for it and open a shop, but I'm not there yet! laughing. Again, though, taking it one step at a time. If you jump into something like this unprepared, you could find yourself sinking instead of swimming.

You will have to get some sort of permits. Maybe not for the building perse, but you will for plumbing, and electrical. I would almost think your plumbing will cost as much as the building itself.

Mike

higginspeg Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 11:11pm
post #217 of 223

Doesn't that just suck swamp water? I know we could do a lot of it. My father-in-law acted as his own contracter and subbed out work he couldn't do on his own when he was building their house in WV. So I know he could help us do the majority of it, but I'm sure the City wants some sweet business owner around here to get their fare share! laughing. I'm not opposed to other businesses making money but I wonder if they would trade for cake? Now that's an idea! laughing. Of course, I wouldn't dream the City would trade for cake! I guess, that's one more phone call on my list of things to do. It's a good thing I'm not in a hurry. Thanks for your input though and the idea with the spare room.

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 11:17pm
post #218 of 223

Check on craigslist under the barter section. I e-mailed a guy yesterday about trading some cheesecakes for fire wood LOLOL.

Mike

higginspeg Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 1:08am
post #219 of 223

Now that sounds like a good deal! It's much easier to make cakes than to chop firewood! laughing I'll have to try it though!

Peg

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 15 Nov 2008 , 3:42pm
post #220 of 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1394

Check on craigslist under the barter section. I e-mailed a guy yesterday about trading some cheesecakes for fire wood LOLOL.

Mike

I can never find anything good on that part of Craigs list. There are always people who will clean your house, but they want like large screen TVs and such. Thats nuts.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 16 Nov 2008 , 1:13am
post #221 of 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by loriemoms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1394

Mike

I can never find anything good on that part of Craigs list. There are always people who will clean your house, but they want like large screen TVs and such. Thats nuts.

somedays, cleaning my house IS worth a big screen tv!! icon_lol.gif

Icing2009 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Icing2009 Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 3:45am
post #222 of 223

I guess I'm not to up on the laws yet either, but I just started last month with my business. I did not get licensed or anything yet since I don't have business. Here in NE I do know that you have to state that what you make is made from an unlicensed kitchen and you can't get in trouble at all since the people buying it are taking the risk of doing it, and I tell everyone I market to, sell to, whatever it is, that I am not licensed yet and I want to see if I get enough business to be licensed since I don't want to pay taxes and fees and all on what I am not making. So I am getting licensed in a couple months since my daughters school wants to use me for some stuff and her school requires that you have to be a commercial bakery to bring anything into that school, even a parent has to buy from a bakery and not bake it themselves. So I decided to go ahead and do it but while I am marketing where ever I am at, I have to put up a sign saying that I am not licensed. I also started marketing on Craigslist believe it or not and I only know a couple people here and they have spread the word and I also rented a booth at the flea market to get my name out there. So there are ways around it, and it's not that I want to be illegal but I want to establish something before I get all the ID numbers and license and all. So good luck to everyone with a business as it is a hard time right now and hope everyone the best and hope I didn't offend anyone, but I am calling the Health Dep on monday anyway since the internet isn't to promising for me on info, lol.

mls2604 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mls2604 Posted 29 Nov 2014 , 4:52pm
post #223 of 223

You are absolutely right Mike. I had to think of a way to be different because people can walk into any 7-eleven or market and get a good cupcake for probably a cheaper retail price. You have to have something to attract people and make them desire your baked items.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%