Homemade Halloween Costumes..need Ideas 10Yrboy..help!

Decorating By sweetcravings Updated 22 Oct 2008 , 7:59pm by PennieK

sweetcravings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcravings Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 1:40pm
post #1 of 20

Ok so halloween is fast approaching and my son still doesn't have a costume for halloween. He wants something scarey. Initally he wanted the headless man costume that has his head sticking out of the chest BUT the darn costume costs $55.00 at the store. I don't want to pay that much on a costume especially since his school doesn't allow the kids to wear their costumes to school. So basically he will be wearing it for maybe two hours for trick or treating. Then i'm sure it will be put in a box and forgotton.
Anyone have any good ideas that can be made at home? Please share your ideas, pictures. I have to act quickly as time is running out.
I tried convincing him to be a ghost and he wasn't having it. icon_rolleyes.gif Not scarey enough.
Suzanne

19 replies
Trixyinaz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Trixyinaz Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 2:48pm
post #2 of 20

What about a really scary ScareCrow.....

Get some old overalls (I went to a 2nd hand store) and a plaid shirt and a hat
Go to Michaels and get some straw
Pick up some makeup and some fake blood
Get some patches (or cut up an old shirt)

In the pockets, hot glue gun some straw. In the arm and leg cuffs, do the same.
Hot glue gun some patches on the overalls and shirt and make sure to glue some straw under the patches to make it look like he's falling apart.

Paint his face white with some black eyes, make a scar on his cheek, give him some fangs and have blood dripping down the side of his mouth and onto the clothes....maybe put some on the straw on his arm.

Get a stuffed bird and cut it open....paint the stuffing red and have blood dripping down from it (you know what I mean)...have it sticking out of a pocket or have him carry it under his arm....

That's all I got...sorry if that isn't scary enough.

Here is a picture of my daughter (face not showing) in her scarcrow costume (a nice scarcrow tho), but you can see what I'm saying about the straw and stuff....just make it SCARY!!!
LL

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 2:53pm
post #3 of 20

My idea won't work for you 'cause it ain't scary--at least not the way you want but check out tomato boy--and guess what he's currently pastry chef of a two michelin star restaurant. Kitty cat girl is also adorable although also not scary.

http://acmecakes.com/images/kittyandtomato.jpg

He could be a Venus Fly Trap icon_biggrin.gif

julzs71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julzs71 Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 3:38pm
post #4 of 20

I'm making my daughter a graveyard. She is going to have weeds all over and bones coming out of them. I'm going to paint her face to look like a skeleton. She is 13 and is 5'8". She tells me that I can do whatever I want, just make me unrecognizable.
You can get some styrofoam bones form Michaels for 5 dollars I thing. And just wear black.

Trixyinaz Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 3:48pm
post #5 of 20

Julzs71 - that is a great idea. I'll have to remember that for next year.

sweetcravings Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 5:31pm
post #6 of 20

Thanks for the great ideas..keep em coming. i'll run them by my son tonight.

Honestly, i used to love halloween up until this year. My dad died just this past christmas and alot of the images i'm seeing..skeletons, graves, RIP signs are really disturbing me. It just reminds me of death and makes me really sad. I'm kinda concerned that if my son dresses up like a skeleton etc.. it will make my mom feel extra sad too.
I've been sucking it up for my son, but things just aren't the same. Maybe i'm just being super sensitive or weird. I don't know if this is normal, just the way i've been feeling lately. yesterday would have been my parents wedding anniversary so my feelings are intense right now. This is the time of year that dad started getting worse. I'm dreading christmas for this reason. It's like i'm reliving it all.
I don't want to put a damper on this thread so i'll stop talking now.

I really do want to hear some more ideas.

Suz

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 5:47pm
post #7 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetcravings

Thanks for the great ideas..keep em coming. i'll run them by my son tonight.

Honestly, i used to love halloween up until this year. My dad died just this past christmas and alot of the images i'm seeing..skeletons, graves, RIP signs are really disturbing me. It just reminds me of death and makes me really sad. I'm kinda concerned that if my son dresses up like a skeleton etc.. it will make my mom feel extra sad too.
I've been sucking it up for my son, but things just aren't the same. Maybe i'm just being super sensitive or weird. I don't know if this is normal, just the way i've been feeling lately. yesterday would have been my parents wedding anniversary so my feelings are intense right now. This is the time of year that dad started getting worse. I'm dreading christmas for this reason. It's like i'm reliving it all.
I don't want to put a damper on this thread so i'll stop talking now.

I really do want to hear some more ideas.

Suz

My condolences on your dad. My father-in-law died very suddenly and unexpectedly 18 months ago, and it is amazing how our entire family dynamic has changed (and it hasn't been in a good way!). Now my own father has been diagnosed with a terminal illness, and it looks like this will be his last Christmas. I understand your emotions 100%! You are not being super-sensitive or weird...you're being normal. I commend you for "sucking it up" for your son. The saddest thing about death is that life just keeps going right along.

For the costume, I'd say go to the GoodWill and see if you can find a large doll that you can use the head from. Attach it to a shirt, since this is the look your son is wanting. Use some Halloween make-up to give your son the whole zombie-like look.

Good luck. You have my sympathies and best wishes.

sweetcravings Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 6:14pm
post #8 of 20

Gemini,

I'm so sorry to hear about your father in laws passing and your fathers illness. Your right the fact that life goes on without them is very hard. I sometimes feel like i'm the only one sufferring when i see all the happy faces around, but then stories like yours reminds me that others are struggling too. Sometimes worse than I. My heart truely aches for you and your family.
I have really tried hard to move forward but as the anniversary of his death approaches it is all coming back.
My mother was diagnosed weeks after dad found out he had cancer with chronic leukemia. We are thankful it is in the watch and wait phase, but i worry about her too. BUT>> the one thing i learned from dad's illness and then death is to embrace each and every day and not to dwell on the illness. I wish i had spent less time worrying, wondering, crying while he was alive. That was time I could've spent celebrating his life. I mean we will all die one day, and we don't have control over it, so why dwell on it. I try to remind myself of this when my emotions run high with mom's illness.
Please take care of yourself and know that if you ever need to just talk i'm here for you. Sending hugs.

Suz

Trixyinaz Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 6:18pm
post #9 of 20

Sorry to hear about your dad. I lost mine 4 years ago last month and my FIL at Christmas last year. Everyone grieves differently so I don't think there really is a "normal" way to feel when someone you love passes away. Don't be too hard on yourself. When my dad passed, I thought I was doing pretty good, but to my husband, I was not taking it all that well. Even a year later, he said that ever since my dad died, I hadn't been the same. He called me "Debbie Downer." He pushed me to go and see a therapist. I did and saw her for about a year. I think I'm back to my normal self, but DH says I was never really normal...hehehe icon_lol.gif

And the wedding anniversay is only adding to your feelings so yes, you are bit more sensitive right now. It will get easier and the things you once enjoyed will come back and you'll enjoy them again.

{{{hugs}}}

GeminiRJ Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 8:26pm
post #10 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetcravings

Gemini,

I have really tried hard to move forward but as the anniversary of his death approaches it is all coming back.
My mother was diagnosed weeks after dad found out he had cancer with chronic leukemia. We are thankful it is in the watch and wait phase, but i worry about her too.

Suz

My dad's illness is a rare, aggressive form of leukemia. He isn't responding well to the treatment, which is typical for this type of leukemia. Bummer that we're both dealing with leukemia in our families!I hope your mom does well. Hugs to you, too.

Susan

sweetcravings Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 12:25am
post #11 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trixyinaz

Sorry to hear about your dad. I lost mine 4 years ago last month and my FIL at Christmas last year. Everyone grieves differently so I don't think there really is a "normal" way to feel when someone you love passes away. Don't be too hard on yourself. When my dad passed, I thought I was doing pretty good, but to my husband, I was not taking it all that well. Even a year later, he said that ever since my dad died, I hadn't been the same. He called me "Debbie Downer." He pushed me to go and see a therapist. I did and saw her for about a year. I think I'm back to my normal self, but DH says I was never really normal...hehehe icon_lol.gif

And the wedding anniversay is only adding to your feelings so yes, you are bit more sensitive right now. It will get easier and the things you once enjoyed will come back and you'll enjoy them again.

{{{hugs}}}

Thanks so much for all the support. I'm sorry to hear of your losses.
I have been thinking about seeing a therapist because i feel like a 'debbie downer' too. I try not to talk about things too much with my husband because i'm sure he's tired of hearing about it. Plus both his parents are living and i truely don't think he really understands what i'm feeling,even though he trys. I often cry myself to sleep, but my DH is fast asleep and doesn't even know this. I find the quiet times is when i think about everything. I can't seem to get the last days of dads life out of my mind. I can still see clear as day how he became confused, really struggled in his last moments of life and then the color went from his face. i want to forget these things but i can't seem to. They seem to overshadow everything else. It's like a nightmare. icon_sad.gif
I don't necessarily think i'm depressed just really saddenned about the whole thing and how things are so different now.
I do hope it will get easier with time. I find it hard to be strong for mom when all i want to do is sob when i walk into her home and see dad's chair emty. I don't show her how upset it make me, as i know she is struggling herself.
Thanks for giving me a shoulder to lean on.
Suz

sweetcravings Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 12:31am
post #12 of 20

Susan....how horrible for your family that the leukemia he is affected by is so aggressive. I know i was so relieved that my mom's was CLL as strange as that may be. At least the prognosis is more favorable than the more aggressive types. I'm soooo sorry you have to go through this. I do pray that he will somehow start to respond to treatment. HUGS..small world..two people meet here, both named Susan/suzanne with parents that have leukemia..I wish it were a different senario for both of us. I will keep you in my prayers.

sarahpierce Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahpierce Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 11:38am
post #13 of 20

First off ((((((HUGS)))))))) to everyone.

I am also making my childrens costumes this year (first time since I was a kid). My 9 yr old DS wanted scarey sci-fi. So I am attempting to make him an alien mask from paper mache. icon_confused.gif No, I haven't really worked with it before, but I'm going to try. Just like a cake I have the plan in my head. For the outfit I am just going to buy a yard or so of shiney fabric and make a cape like thing (can't really sew either). So we'll see how it turns out. If all else fails he will be Darth Vader again.

Also Google "Scarey homemade Costumes".

HTH

GeminiRJ Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 11:45am
post #14 of 20

Suz, thanks for the kind words. It's not easy, huh? My dad's is CMML, and though not acute, he's basically been given a year. To make matters worse, my parents live about 2,000 miles away so I know I won't be seeing him nearly enough! And the same week he was diagnosed, my mom's sister was diagnosed with stage 4 cancer and given 6-8 months. Now she's trying to deal with my dad's treatment, and wondering if she'll get back to Minnesota to see her sister before she dies. It's been a horrible summer for the family!

Best of luck getting through the holiday months ahead. The "first" everything is difficult, so take it easy and do something to pamper yourself.

sweetcravings Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 12:51pm
post #15 of 20

Gemini, when it rains it pours doesn't it? I sure do hope your mom is able to get back to see her sister before she dies. Makes you wonder why things happen the way they do. I try not to get angry about it all but some days i think why is it that some people get so much grief and others none at all. Of all the families to be stricken with cancer, why mine? We are incredibly close. Then you see the families that fight all the time, don't want to be with one another and they never face these challenges. I wouldn't wish this on them either, but it make you wonder why things happen the way they do.

CreationsByCaryl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CreationsByCaryl Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 1:04pm
post #16 of 20

I haven't read the other responses and I'm running late to the gym.

You can make that headless outfit really fast. All you need is some newspaper and a large button up long sleeve shirt. and a t shirt and a pair of gloves.

Using the dark t shirt, or use a white one and paint/marker it all gory, and use it to block the neck hole of the button up shirt. Stuff the top 1/3 of the button shirt and the arms. Stuff the gloves and pin them on the end of the long sleeves. DS will have his head through one of the open button areas lower on the shirt, pin the gloved hands near the head to look like he's holding his head. Tie his TOT bag to this belt loops on his pants.

This was made by a kid in our neighborhood and it was really cute. His mom picked up the shirt at the thrift store and he did the rest. I loved that he couldn't hold out his TOTing bag, since his hands were busy holding his head.

sweetcravings Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 4:31pm
post #17 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by CreationsByCaryl

I haven't read the other responses and I'm running late to the gym.

You can make that headless outfit really fast. All you need is some newspaper and a large button up long sleeve shirt. and a t shirt and a pair of gloves.

Using the dark t shirt, or use a white one and paint/marker it all gory, and use it to block the neck hole of the button up shirt. Stuff the top 1/3 of the button shirt and the arms. Stuff the gloves and pin them on the end of the long sleeves. DS will have his head through one of the open button areas lower on the shirt, pin the gloved hands near the head to look like he's holding his head. Tie his TOT bag to this belt loops on his pants.

You make this sound easy..maybe i will try and make it. One question though..wouldn't the stuffed shirt fall off his shoulders without support?

suz

This was made by a kid in our neighborhood and it was really cute. His mom picked up the shirt at the thrift store and he did the rest. I loved that he couldn't hold out his TOTing bag, since his hands were busy holding his head.

PennieK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PennieK Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 7:26pm
post #18 of 20

I found this site when my son decided he wanted to be SpongeBob

http://www.coolest-homemade-costumes.com/index.html

There are some really neat costumes on here and might give you some ideas

sweetcravings Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 7:51pm
post #19 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by PennieK

I found this site when my son decided he wanted to be SpongeBob

http://www.coolest-homemade-costumes.com/index.html

There are some really neat costumes on here and might give you some ideas

Thanks soooo much for sharing that website. It's awesome!!! So many ideas and they actually share with you how they made them. Love it!!! I'm sure he'll find something he likes now.

Suz

PennieK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PennieK Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 7:59pm
post #20 of 20

Your Welcome. Did you see the frozen head (under spooky costumes)? I really want to make that one someday.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%