I Have A Stupid Question About Fondant.

Decorating By cut-n-up Updated 21 Oct 2008 , 11:29am by Susie53

cut-n-up Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cut-n-up Posted 19 Oct 2008 , 5:40pm
post #1 of 17

icon_redface.gif I know this is going to be a stupid question so nobody tell anyone okay. tapedshut.gificon_lol.gif I am new to cake decorating. I have made 5 cakes and 4 of them 3-D. I am having the same problem everytime when we are getting ready to eat them. It seems like people are afraid of the fondant. Either they don't think it is edible or they peel it off or just don't want to mess with it. Is there something I missing? Is there a technique to eating fondant covered cakes? If most people don't eat it what do I do about frosting. I have been filling my cakes but is this the answer? I made a dump truck cake and it looked great but when we got ready to eat it everyone stayed away from the black fondant and it took no time til it just looked bad. Please advise me anyone. I don't know how to tell my backwoods country people how to eat fondant. Because I don't know myself. I don't want them just to look good I want them to be eaten and enjoyed. They are not supposed to be a puzzle. Remember not to tell anybody. tapedshut.gif Ha. ha.icon_redface.gif

16 replies
mixinvixen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mixinvixen Posted 19 Oct 2008 , 5:46pm
post #2 of 17

depends on which recipe for fondant you're using.

wilton= don't blame them for peeling it off, isn't fit for a dog to eat, i would do the same!

mmf (any version)= yummy,easy to make, can add all kinds of flavorings in to taste even better...what i use

store bought fondant= expensive, but have had some that tasted really good.

make sure to only cover your cakes 1/4" or less with fondant. keep in mind that you still have to ice under the fondant, in order for it to adhere to the cake...this provides icing for the people who insiste on peeling the fondant off...the best of both worlds!

in a nutshell: torte your layers and have icing between them,, then lightly crumbcoat the outside, let freeze for 10 or 15 minutes, then put a little thicker layer of icing over top....not too thick though, because when you put your fondant on, it won't smush out the bottom. some people even choose to forego that final coat, because they put enough between each layer. your choice.

reenie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
reenie Posted 19 Oct 2008 , 5:47pm
post #3 of 17

I kinda had to "promote" the fondant and real coax people to try it. I think it's really good and it helps the cake hold its intended shape and moisture. I think the best way to do so is to explain to them what it is, what it's made of and to let them know that the texture is different from regular icing but the flavor is absolutely wonderful. Eating the stuff yourself at the get-togethers is a good idea too. This way others are more apt to trying it because you (the one who made the cake) is too.

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 19 Oct 2008 , 5:48pm
post #4 of 17

There is no rule about eating fondant - some do, but most don't. Even personally, while I love to decorate with it, I don't care to eat it. Just tell everyone there's a nice layer of buttercream underneath, and the fondant is optional.

dragonflydreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dragonflydreams Posted 19 Oct 2008 , 5:48pm
post #5 of 17

. . . what kind of fondant are you using . . . do you like the taste of it . . . if "yes" - just encourage your friends to taste it - and lead by example and eat it yourself - educate them so to speak . . . if, on the other hand, you don't like the taste of your fondant - shop around until you find a brand (or recipe) that you can proudly serve and recommend . . .
Satin Ice has a good reputation . . . as does Choco Pan . . . but there are others that people rave about . . . the trick will be up to you to let people know that what you are serving is fabulous . . . icon_biggrin.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 19 Oct 2008 , 5:56pm
post #6 of 17

sometimes you just can't dictate other people's taste. I'm a big icing snob and unless it's my icing, I'll scrape off the regular ICING and not eat that, either. I've done that for years .... I'm seriously just not a big icing fan. I like just plain cake.

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 19 Oct 2008 , 5:56pm
post #7 of 17

I think for most people it's just a texture thing: something chewy seems weird with moist cake. I've noticed that the tastier fondants get eaten at least partially, but it's always after they've finished the cake. Dessert after dessert, I suppose.

cut-n-up Posted 19 Oct 2008 , 6:19pm
post #8 of 17

icon_eek.gif Thanks for such quick responses. I am just glad it is not just mine. I was starting to wonder if I was doing something wrong. I haven't tried any other fondant other than Wilton so if anyone has some url. or websites that I can try someother more tasty brand or a good recipe I will try to make some. Thanks again. thumbs_up.gif

korensmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
korensmommy Posted 19 Oct 2008 , 6:38pm
post #9 of 17

Here is how to make MMF (marshmallow fondant).

http://www.cakecentral.com/article47-How-to-Make-and-Decorate-with-Marshmallow-Fondant-MMF.html

You can add any flavors or colors to this--I like to add almond flavoring.

Don't forget to change your photos to enable comments, if you want people to comment on your photos. Wanted to say those are great cakes in your gallery for someone who is just starting out!!

Niliquely Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Niliquely Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 12:20am
post #10 of 17

I tried to use MMF today to cover a bundt cake that I am practicing on and it completely crumbled on me! Luckily I had some fondant made up and I rolled that out really nice and smooth but THEN it folded over itself at the bottom and when I tried to lift it to smooth it out, it ripped! I am finding that any fondant is a lot harder to work with than it looks, but alas, I am new to all this -

icon_redface.gif

Niliquely Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Niliquely Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 12:24am
post #11 of 17

Oh yeah, and I can't read anyone's responses right now -
What's up with that?

sayhellojana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sayhellojana Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 12:31am
post #12 of 17

Wilton is horrible! EWWW! No wonder no one is eating it. Try Rhonda's Ultimate MMF. It's not too much trouble to make, it's WAY cheaper than ready-made, and it tastes good. you can also use the flavorings from your cakes to compliment. (example: Almond cake, add almond extract to the MMF) Some people dont like MMF because it's so sweet, but a heck of a lot more like it than do wilton. And, like I said, it's cheaper to make, which is getting more and more important now adays.

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 1:13am
post #13 of 17

My recipe is nearly the same:
http://cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-7262-0-Buttercream-MMF.html

MMF should not get crumbly, if that's what you used. I keep the brands I use consistent because you may make a batch of MMF with a certain brand and love how it turned out, but the next time you make it you might buy a different brand and the reaction may not be the same. So stick with one brand of PS of MMs so you know exactly how it should feel every time. (I use WalMart - I hate Jet Puffed).

It's natural for MMF to harden when it cools, so it needs to be softened in the micro to make it usable. But be careful of over-heating as it doesn't take long to soften: Overheating creates too soft and overly sticky MMF. Cornstarch can help remedy this, but it is best to avoid overheating in the first place.

cut-n-up Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 5:54am
post #14 of 17

Thanks so much. I will try these recipes and let ya'll know. Thanks again. icon_biggrin.gif

cut-n-up Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 8:03pm
post #15 of 17

How do I enable the comments. I did not realize that they were disabled. Thanks for the compliment. I think maybe I have a nack for this. I am loving it so far. I just did my first cake 1 month ago. The rest have been since then. Thanks again.

Tracy71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tracy71 Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 9:48pm
post #16 of 17

Try using Satin Ice when you don't have time to make fondant. It tastes alright!!

Susie53 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Susie53 Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 11:29am
post #17 of 17

The Wilton fondant does taste bad, I used it on a Wilton class cake. I now use Satin Ice. I've only been decorating cakes for about four or five months and really love it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%