Jewelry Themed Cake/cupcakes Need Help

Decorating By sugarwishes Updated 19 Oct 2008 , 7:40am by sugarwishes

sugarwishes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarwishes Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 3:06pm
post #1 of 7

The office I work for is hosting a jewelry party, where we get a bunch of girls together and we will buy there gold from them. So I thought it would be the perfect opportunity to possibly get some clients, since I'm just starting out.

My boss wants cupcakes, but I want to do a cake. So I think I will do a lil bit of both. I just have no idea where to begin as far as a design. I tried to find candy molds like rings or some sort of jewelry and they dont make anything like that. I guess I can make jewelry out of fondant but I'm not really sure about the cupcakes.

Anybody have any idea what I can do?? The party is Nov. 4 so at least I have a little bit of time.

6 replies
Baking_Booth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Baking_Booth Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 11:45pm
post #2 of 7

It would be neat if you could make a cake like a treasure chest that opens up (like in the gallery) but make it a jewelry box and put a couple of cupcakes with "jewels" inside and put the rest next to it so that it goes together. You might try those edible pearls/beads or use luster dust to give it a shine.
Hope this makes sense... lol... when I read your post that's the first thing that popped into my head and I'm not sure if it came out right! icon_confused.gif

cupcakeco Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakeco Posted 19 Oct 2008 , 1:56am
post #3 of 7

How about a dressmaker's bodice-shaped cake layered with tons of different-length/color pearl strands? I think it would be simpler to excecute but make a much bigger statement. And statement=customers! icon_smile.gif

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 19 Oct 2008 , 2:09am
post #4 of 7

The clay aisle in your local hobby store has molds that are shaped like faceted jewels... I like the treasure chest idea, instead of standard cupcakes, you could use mini cupcakes with a jewel on each.

Sweet_Guys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Guys Posted 19 Oct 2008 , 2:25am
post #5 of 7

There are chocolate molds that are of various shapes of jewels. You could make cupcakes with buttercream icing and then put a colored chocolate jewel on top of each. In various colors, it would look really nice.

Paul & Peter

JennaB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JennaB Posted 19 Oct 2008 , 2:39am
post #6 of 7

If you get the chocolate molds, Michaels sells "Amazing Mold Putty" which you can mold mover the outside of the chocolate and then make poured sugar jewels in ruby, emerald and saphire. I did this on the Pirates cake in my gallery and it worked out great.

I also have a jewelry box photo in there too to look at. This was early in my cake making so I used Ring Pops and candy necklaces for the jewelry (mine was also for a teenager so she like having the candy).

Can't wait to see what you do.

sugarwishes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarwishes Posted 19 Oct 2008 , 7:40am
post #7 of 7

Thank you all for your ideas! JennaB I love your jewelry box you did, its awesome. Does anyone have any instructions or tips on how to go about making a jewelry box? The bottom doesn't look to bad, I worried about doing the top and then getting it to look open.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%