Buttercream 911!!!!

Decorating By jlanae25 Updated 20 Oct 2008 , 1:33am by Shirlcantuck

jlanae25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlanae25 Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 11:37pm
post #1 of 5

Ok after going through tons of butter and sugar i still cant perfect this "simple" task. Heres my problem. I follow the recipes step by step and at the end, my frosting looks like a wet glossy glob and tastes like straight butter with a hin of sugar. When i put it on my cake, its slides everywhere and doesnt stick.
Can anyone help??? Im trying to perfect this so i can move on to experimenting with fondont.

4 replies
CuteCakeName Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CuteCakeName Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 11:55pm
post #2 of 5

Maybe if you tell us what recipe you're using (list the ingredients and amounts) and the steps, we can help you. There are so many buttercream recipes out there, so it's hard to say what might be going wrong without some more information.

Malakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Malakin Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 12:09am
post #3 of 5

Are you using real butter or margarine? Real butter has more solid fat. Margarine is mostly water and will slide, especially at a lower temp.

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 12:19am
post #4 of 5

I like a combination of 1/2 butter and 1/2 high ratio shortening, unless I'm piping or if I want a whiter icing, then I use all shortening (high ratio).

I don't know what recipe or method you're trying, but I like this one:

1 c. shortening
1 c. butter (room temp)
3 T. milk
2 tsp. vanilla
2 tsp. butter flavor
2 tsp. creme bouquet flavor (lemon or orange can be used, or almond if you don't want a citrus influence)
2 lbs. powdered sugar
4 T. meringue powder

Cream the butter and shortening, then add flavoring and milk. Add powdered sugar SLOWLY and whip with your paddle attachment. Once the powdered sugar has been added, slowly add the meringue powder. Beat on medium high speed app. 5 minutes. If you want a thinner icing, add a bit more milk - in small increments - until you get the consistency you want. If you want a thicker consistency, add more powdered sugar.

Keep experimenting. You'll eventually hit on one that you like and doesn't slide around on the cake.

Shirlcantuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shirlcantuck Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 1:33am
post #5 of 5

Ok i am a newbie, but i have always used the wilton recipe and I don't like it very much. I like the taste but the icing is sooooo greasy. It seems that once it crusts, it begans to seperate and the oils come out.

Also do you use the same BC for the top coat that you use to crumb, or do you use a different recipe?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%