How Do I Deal With This One....

Decorating By hwnhulahands Updated 18 Oct 2008 , 5:10am by chutzpah

hwnhulahands Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hwnhulahands Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 10:03pm
post #1 of 7

Ok, I got a "real" customer for a cake for sunday (last minute order). It's a lavander and white sweet 16 2-tiered cake. All white. No problem. I can do it. Well, she calls back and tells me that because she hasn't tried my cakes yet but is very impressed with the decoration that she had to lie to her mother about this cake. Her mom wanted the cake to be very very moist. She told her mom that not to worry that the cakes I make are very good and very moist but if she wanted truly truly moist then she would need tres leches and I don't do those. The mother told her that it's one thing to be impressed by the design and whatever but you need to be impressed by taste as well. So my "real" customer tells me that she's got me up on a pedastal and wants my cake that I am making to be very moist because of the fact that she was reassuring her mother that that's how the cake will be. I am extremely nervous now and hopefully can pull this one off. I don't want to let her down and hopefully have more customers off of this cake. How do you deal with customers when they call with this kind of request?

6 replies
JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 10:11pm
post #2 of 7

The WASC cake is very moist. icon_smile.gif

However, not even the best normal cake recipe should be compared to one that is soaked (and served with soaking liquids).

If the customer's mother wants a cake that is sitting in liquid to satisfy her need for moist moist, then that's what she needs to order.

But if the customer wants a very moist but not soaked cake, any flavor variation of the WASC cake should satisfy her.

Here's the expanded flavors version of the WASC cake recipe:

http://tinyurl.com/2cu8s4

HTH

kandu001 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kandu001 Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 10:16pm
post #3 of 7

You could also use pudding in whatever cake you make. If it is chocolate cake, use chocolate pudding, etc. About 1/2 or 1 cup depending on the size cake that you do. Pudding makes cakes moist! Good luck!! princess.gif

BakingGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingGirl Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 10:30pm
post #4 of 7

I think you should tell her client that to do tiered cakes you cannot do dripping wet cakes, they would just collapse. That way she has a comeback to her mother in case she is not satisfied with it's moistness. Sounds like the mother wanted to do the cake herself so perhaps looking to find faults. I am sure your cake will be just fine, take a breath and relax!

yellobutterfly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yellobutterfly Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 10:53pm
post #5 of 7

what about using a simple syrup? I haven't tried them yet but some people swear by them...

hwnhulahands Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hwnhulahands Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 1:39am
post #6 of 7

yeah i was going to use the wasc recipe. I made it for the first time this weekend and absolutely LOVE it. It is moist and yummy. I made the regular white and tried the chocolate as well and love them both. So, the wasc will do fine for moist?! Thanks everyone.

chutzpah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chutzpah Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 5:10am
post #7 of 7

Gah.... what a PITA.

Why bother even baking the cake? Just give her a bowl of batter. It's as moist as you can get.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%