Questions About A Cake For Tomorrow!! Help!

Decorating By yummyhobby Updated 18 Oct 2008 , 12:27am by projectqueen

yummyhobby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummyhobby Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 5:36pm
post #1 of 9

I am doing my son's 4th birthday cake for tomorrow. I haven't even baked it yet. The party is at 12, and I am wondering a couple of things. Now, I am not one of those people that can ice a cake while it is still soft. I have to freeze them so that I don't tear them up. And this is an 11x15 sheet cake. I will be icing it with choc. BC. My question is this. Can I just stick it in the fridge to firm it up enough to ice it. Does this work for any of you, or do you stick them in the freezer. I am worried about condensation. I don't want to have to wait forever for the crumbcoat to dry before I ice the rest.

And also, if I were to ice it and decorate it completely tonight, say around 10- will it still be fresh enough after sitting overnight?? I plan on putting it in a cake box, and leaving on the counter. Help me out ladies! I read through the forums from time to time and I know there are so many of you with a huge fountain of knowledge on all of this...so help a stressed mama out!! icon_lol.gif

8 replies
Sarsi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sarsi Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 6:05pm
post #2 of 9

Putting it in the fridge will work too...it will firm the cake up enough....

Yes, if you ice and decorate, it will still be fresh by tomorrow! Even by Sunday!

Good luck!

Sarsi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sarsi Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 6:07pm
post #3 of 9

Here- you can watch this thread, and see if anything comes of it...

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-607047.html

yummyhobby Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 6:28pm
post #4 of 9

thanks so much! i will be sure to keep watching that thread...

projectqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
projectqueen Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 7:13pm
post #5 of 9

Don't stress, you'll be fine.

I would bake asap and let it cool. Then pop it in the fridge or even freezer for a little while. It will get firm enough to ice without tearing up but it won't get frozen.

Definitely finish it tonight and then store it as you suggested. It will stay plenty fresh once it's iced and you will have more time tomorrow to get ready for your party! thumbs_up.gif

Good luck and post a pic when you are done!

yummyhobby Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 9:08pm
post #6 of 9

I will be sure to post a pic maybe on sunday after things have settled down here. On top of doing the cake- the party is at our home, so we are in the process of doing cake AND cleaning up the place! hehe. Yes, I have lost my mind completely.

It is a monster truck cake, so DS is absolutely torked up about it, and I would hate to mess it up! Do you guys have any advice on handling larger cakes? As far as cooling and then getting one layer on top of the other, etc? I have always had a tricky time of moving them around? I know to some 11x15 is not really that large, but to me it is since I haven't been doing this for very long! icon_wink.gif

projectqueen Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 9:28pm
post #7 of 9

Do you have a large cookie sheet without edges? I usually freeze the top layer for about 20-30 minutes on a cookie sheet and then line it up and slide it off onto the bottom cake when ready. It helps, too, if you have another set of hands.

Good luck, you'll do fine.

yummyhobby Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 9:29pm
post #8 of 9

I do not have a cookie sheet like that, but I do have a hubby that has large helping hands!! I may just use him. Boy will he be thrilled to help with cake stuff.. icon_razz.gif

projectqueen Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 12:27am
post #9 of 9

Can you turn the cake pan over and use the bottom to set the cake on before you put it in the freezer? It's easier if you just push the top cake off a flat surface onto the bottom cake than trying to carry it when it's that big.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%