Shelf Life For Crisco, How Long ??

Decorating By ranbel Updated 17 Oct 2008 , 7:06pm by Mike1394

ranbel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ranbel Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 5:04pm
post #1 of 6

How long will you keep crisco that has already been opened, before throwing it out? I always put the date on the lid when I open my crisco. and usually if not used completely, I will throw it out after a month or so...

How long do you keep yours before throwing it out????

Thanks,

5 replies
DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 5:08pm
post #2 of 6

You only keep it open for a month??? Is it rancid? My open Crisco will last 6 months, sometimes longer.

You can tell if it's bad if it has any kind of smell. Even a sweet smell means it's gone rancid. Otherise, it's fine to use. I follow my nose, not the calendar. icon_smile.gif

ranbel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ranbel Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 5:22pm
post #3 of 6

Thanks Diane, I may be a bit over doing it with the date thing. I just like for everything to be fresh when I make my icing.

I will give a little more time before tossing it.. I did make a small batch of icing this AM with crisco I opened in Aug and it tasted fine...since I was only making this icing to test the recipe, I wasn't overly concerned about it being opened 2 mos ago..but as I said, it tasted great..

Thanks

missmeg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missmeg Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 6:25pm
post #4 of 6

Here is the official FAQ from Crisco regarding their expy dates:

The shelf life of a shortening or oil product depends a great deal on how it has been stored and handled. For the best results, Crisco products should be stored in a cool, dry place away from strong odors, direct sunlight, and sources of heat (stoves, dishwashers, and refrigerators).

Crisco Products Shelf Life & Manufacture Code Locations
Shortening Can - Unopened - 2 years from manufacture date
Opened - about 1 year
Code Location - bottom of can

Freshness Tip: To help keep track of how long a container's been opened, you might write the date on the package when you first break the seal. If you notice any change in color or appearance, or if your Crisco product develops an off odor or taste, it's probably past its shelf life and shouldn't be used.

I know my 6 lb tub would be good for a year or better, before I switched to hi-ratio.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 6:54pm
post #5 of 6

heck, I'm surprised to hear it even HAS an expiration date! icon_confused.gif

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 7:06pm
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

heck, I'm surprised to hear it even HAS an expiration date! icon_confused.gif

It's bad when the flies won't go near it. icon_eek.gif

Mike