Fondant Roses And Buttercream Icing

Decorating By Chippi Updated 18 Oct 2008 , 5:02am by Chippi

Chippi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chippi Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 4:03am
post #1 of 6

Hi everyone! I am a new member and recently have been practicing making fondant roses and decorating with bc icing. I covered a 10" and 8" in bc and used it as a practice cake for piping, roses, etc. I placed 6 fondant roses on the cake and the next day the fondant roses were turning soft. They still had there shape though. I was just concerned or should i be because normally you don't put them on til last but was it the crisco and butter in the bc icing causing this and is there someway to prevent it or is it really something i shouldn't worry with? Any advice is much appreciated.

Thanks!!!
Chippi icon_rolleyes.gif

5 replies
wrightway777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wrightway777 Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 4:10am
post #2 of 6

Fondant will "wick" moisture. Place fondant decoration on as last step. Remember to not put in the fridge either in case you did.

Chippi Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 4:22am
post #3 of 6

Nope no fridge. I think I probably needed few days more of drying. I only waited 24 hours or less before applying. Thanks for the info! My next exciting first experiment is whit RI. Excited for that. Does everyone use RI mainly for piping flowers, drying and then placing them on a cake, or also for scroll work? Thanks again CC Members! This site is great!

Chippi icon_smile.gif in the making!

pastryjen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastryjen Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 12:03pm
post #4 of 6

I'm not a big fan of RI so I only use it for attaching decorations or borders to a fondant covered cake. For buttercream cakes I just use BC. The RI will start to get soft if placed on a BC iced cake.

I've yet to try it on cookies as I just love fondant.

Don't forget to post your RI pics!

Sweet_Guys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Guys Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 10:36pm
post #5 of 6

Chippi---

We use RI to outline cookie shapes and then we use Toba Garrett's Glace' recipe to fill in the cookies. They taste just like the old-fashioned frosted Christmas cookies. Yum!!!

Paul & Peter

Chippi Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 5:02am
post #6 of 6

Thanks all for the help. Thanks Paul & Peter! search it on google and here it is thought I would share if anyone needs it! Gonna try it tomorrow......enjoy and wish me luck!

Toba Garretts Glace Icing recipe

1 pound (454 g) powdered sugar
3/8 cup (90 ml) whole milk
3/8 cup (4.5 oz or 126 g) light corn syrup

Flavor Options: 1 tsp concentrated extract, I Tbsp alcohol or liqueur, or 2 to 3 drops concentrated candy oil

In a mixing bowl, thoroughly mix the sugar and the milk first. The icing should be very soft and have a heavy-cream texture before you add the corn syrup. Add the corn syrup and mix just until combined.

Divide the icing into several bowls. Flavor each bowl with extracts, alcohol or candy oils. Color each bowl of icing as desired. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap to prevent drying until you're ready to use it.

Chiippi

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%