Pricing My First Topsy-Turvey Cake - Need Help

Business By missmeg Updated 17 Oct 2008 , 7:08pm by missmeg

missmeg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missmeg Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 1:25pm
post #1 of 9

I'm in the process of invoicing for my first topsy-turvey cake. It will be a 2-tiered affair, with GP pumpkins, ghosts, and bats, bc icing and other decorations, and colorflow topper. They will be 6" and 8". Thanks to CakesBySandy for her awesome design.

I've got no clue how much to charge. I've made the bats and pumpkins already, and have about 3 hours invested in that.

I normally charge between $3 - $4.50 per serving, but I'm stumped on this. Can you help me?
LL

8 replies
kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 6:43pm
post #2 of 9

I wouldn't touch one of those for less than $5/serving (of course, I've never done one - they terrify me!).

alvarezmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alvarezmom Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 8:03pm
post #3 of 9

I havent worked up enough nerve to do a cake like that. But your looking at around $6-$7 a serving I would imagine.

missmeg Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 8:29pm
post #4 of 9

I'm starting small, only doing it 2 tiers icon_lol.gif. They're terrified me for the past few years, but I showed the client this pic, and she asked if I could it topsy-turvy. Originally I was going to do it standard.

Anyone with topsy-turvey experience willing to help me out?

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 9:55pm
post #5 of 9

If your normal prices are 3-4.50 then I'd go 5.50-6/serving.

Make your tiers 6" tall and taper them in 2". You'll have 30 servings.. so that'll be 165-180$. icon_smile.gif

It's pretty detailed.. so that will account for all of the fondant cut outs and pumpkins. icon_smile.gif

StaceyC3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
StaceyC3 Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 10:12pm
post #6 of 9

In the six years I've been doing cakes, I've done TWO topsy turvy's. Arrrrrggggh - that's what I have to say about them! I sold my first one for $3 per serving and will NEVER do that again. $5 per serving, MINIMUM. Good luck - I'm sure it will be adorable!

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 10:24pm
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by missmeg

I'm starting small, only doing it 2 tiers icon_lol.gif. They're terrified me for the past few years, but I showed the client this pic, and she asked if I could it topsy-turvy. Originally I was going to do it standard.

Anyone with topsy-turvey experience willing to help me out?

I posted instructions for the way I do it here:

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-6126816-.html#6126816

(Hope the link works!)

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 10:31pm
post #8 of 9

Oh Meg.. I missed that you wanted help.. If I'm not booked you know I'll come over and help cake neighbor!! icon_biggrin.gif

missmeg Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 7:08pm
post #9 of 9

So, would charging $125 for this cake be to much or too little?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%