Help With Making A Bow Please!

Decorating By LoriMc Updated 16 Oct 2008 , 2:18am by bobwonderbuns

LoriMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoriMc Posted 13 Oct 2008 , 10:44pm
post #1 of 13

I hate making bows!!!!

This time I am trying MMF and gumpaste mixed together. I am following the tutorial here on CC, but there are no specifications on the size of the loops. Is there a set length or width?

Also...when I pick up my strip of ribbon it starts stretching and losing it's shape.

HELP!

12 replies
LoriMc Posted 13 Oct 2008 , 11:09pm
post #2 of 13

Maybe I should specify this is going on a 6" round cake.

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 13 Oct 2008 , 11:18pm
post #3 of 13

Are you making a loopy bow or the 2 loop bow? For a 6 inch cake, I'd probably make the strips around 4 inches long and then fold in half.

IF they are stretching too much maybe you could let the strips dry out for 5 minutes or so before picking them up. Or you may need to add a bit more gumpaste.

springlakecake Posted 13 Oct 2008 , 11:19pm
post #4 of 13

btw, where you fold and pinch the ends together, you can always trim some of it off later if you need to.

MrsLev557 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsLev557 Posted 13 Oct 2008 , 11:31pm
post #5 of 13

This is a really good video, if you scroll down on her blog site you will see her YOUTUBE video on making bows.

http://cakesandcupboards.blogspot.com/2008/08/fondant-bow-demo.html

Hope this helps....

Shirl

LoriMc Posted 13 Oct 2008 , 11:47pm
post #6 of 13

This is a loopy bow and of course when I click on the directions on this site, they don't work.

I will try the cakesandcupboards link! I learned petit fours from her.

Not sure what you mean by folding them in half merissa. Do you mean when you fold them so the ends come together?

LoriMc Posted 14 Oct 2008 , 12:17am
post #7 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsLev557

This is a really good video, if you scroll down on her blog site you will see her YOUTUBE video on making bows.

http://cakesandcupboards.blogspot.com/2008/08/fondant-bow-demo.html

Hope this helps....

Shirl

That's not the kind of bow I am doing. I need a cake topper bow with lots of loops.

MrsLev557 Posted 14 Oct 2008 , 10:41am
post #8 of 13

Try the wilton.com website, in the search type "take a bow cake"

Hope this one helps.

Shirl

MrsLev557 Posted 14 Oct 2008 , 10:41am
post #9 of 13

Try the wilton.com website, in the search type "take a bow cake"

Hope this one helps.

Shirl

springlakecake Posted 14 Oct 2008 , 12:00pm
post #10 of 13

yes, that is what I mean.

I hang mine over a dowel and pinch the ends together. Let them dry a day or so. I use a round tupperware container to build the bow. I place a glob of fondand in the center of the container (the size of the bow I want). Then I start RI the bottom loops onto the piece of fondant. I dont flip mine sideways at all. I usually have just two layers of loops. About 7 or 8 on the bottom and 4 for the top. I like my loops kind of fat, but you could make them thinner. Of course you would need more loops that way. Make a few extra either way, some loops fit better than others.

springlakecake Posted 14 Oct 2008 , 12:12pm
post #11 of 13

yes, that is what I mean.

I hang mine over a dowel and pinch the ends together. Let them dry a day or so. I use a round tupperware container to build the bow. I place a glob of fondand in the center of the container (the size of the bow I want). Then I start RI the bottom loops onto the piece of fondant. I dont flip mine sideways at all. I usually have just two layers of loops. About 7 or 8 on the bottom and 4 for the top. I like my loops kind of fat, but you could make them thinner. Of course you would need more loops that way. Make a few extra either way, some loops fit better than others.

mommakristin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommakristin Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 1:59am
post #12 of 13

Thanks for this forum!

I too have issues making bows. My problem is I guess I am making them too thin. Mine sometimes break at the bend in the loops. I am making cake this weekend that will have some bows on it. Hopefully I can succeed with the bows.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 2:18am
post #13 of 13

I still struggle with bows too -- Especially the part where the loops meet and the thing around the center. They just never look quite right! icon_cry.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%