Help With Putting Fondant On Wire

Decorating By calynmom Updated 12 Oct 2008 , 10:55pm by calynmom

calynmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
calynmom Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 6:27pm
post #1 of 7

Hello everyone. Hope your enjoying your sunday.

I am doing a halloween cake this week and want to make a fondant/gumpaste moon (full circle).

How thick do I need to make it so the wire will go thru the bottom and hold?

Do I need a very thick wire so it will hold and not droop over. What gauge would that be?

Any help would be appreciated.

6 replies
calynmom Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 7:42pm
post #2 of 7

Help please !

lizamlin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lizamlin Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 8:18pm
post #3 of 7

I do this stuff all the time! You may need two wires, depending on size. How big? Flat circle or sphere? Perhaps (if 2D spherical) make *two* flat circles. Be sure to make circle/s days ahead (preferably with the wires in it) so it/they dry(ies).
Sandwich the wires between the two and glue with royal frosting.
Allow to dry thoroughly. Insert into cake very carefully.
Good luck!

calynmom Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 10:21pm
post #4 of 7

I wanted to make it flat. How thick should I roll out the fondant? Is standard floral wire o.k.?

tarheelgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tarheelgirl Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 10:41pm
post #5 of 7

I just did my first wire cake with stars. I made my stars thick enough for the wire to be inserted in so it would not show on the outside. I did a springy look though. I added the picture today!

Ariginal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ariginal Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 10:47pm
post #6 of 7

firstly you want it about maybe 5mm max then the biggest and best tip i can give you is heat the end of the wire over a candle ( but using wateron fingertips wet the wire about 2cm down to prevent all the paper burning off the wire) and then insert while still hot this then melts the sugar round the wire and sticks immediately no need to wait for days for the fondant to dry you are able to work with it straight away in most instances pending on thickness of fondant, this is how i do all my stars on wires and depending on if you want it stiff use maybe 26 or 24 gauge wire... hope that helps

calynmom Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 10:55pm
post #7 of 7

Thank you CAKE SISTERS for you advise. I'm going to start them tomorrow.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%