LL
LL
LL
LL

64 replies
karennayak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karennayak Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 5:48am
post #2 of 65

Someone sent me an email with these cakes too. Aren't they gorgeous?
I love the pillow cake, but look at the size of the one near the swimming pool!

If you can't see the photos,
here is the link.

Kuwait - Royal Wedding cakes by omar addihaoui an executive Pastry chef in Kuwait

http://www.tripntale.com/trip/2541

Karen

GI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GI Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 6:06am
post #3 of 65

icon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gif Holy cow! Those cakes are indeed a sight to behold! I'll bet he has a staff of 50 people helping him! icon_surprised.gif

melodyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melodyscakes Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 7:43am
post #4 of 65

holy cow!! those are awesome!

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 5:21pm
post #5 of 65

Okay, I recognize the skill required to make those, but a few of them are the butt-ugliest things I've seen in a while. What the heck is that first one, an ode to the groom's little willy? Good lord. That one that looks like a pile of gold tires is "interesting" also. There's obviously no shortage of gold luster dust in Kuwait, is there?

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 5:31pm
post #6 of 65

Good grief, and I thought Sylvia Weinstock made huge cakes!! icon_eek.gif So, were these all for one royal wedding or what? I wasn't sure of the occasion(s).

Dixiegal01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dixiegal01 Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 5:35pm
post #7 of 65

costumeczar, you crack me up.....I'm thinking sometimes bigger is just not better icon_eek.gif I do realize the time and talent needed for these, I'm just in awe at the sizes icon_redface.gif

paolacaracas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paolacaracas Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 5:48pm
post #8 of 65

I think this are the tackiest thing covered in sugar you can imagine.

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 6:00pm
post #9 of 65

you guys have to realize that this is another country and they do their cakes a little differently. they probably think that OUR cakes are tacky or ugly.

but the things is they have LOTS of money over there and everything has to look very rich and lavish. they can't just have a simple wedding...it is not in their culture to do this.

THANK YOU for sharing these! WOW! some amazing cakes...and no, I could not accomplish any of these. that is a challenge I do not want to attempt icon_lol.gif I like the fact that a lot of these cakes are sort of abstract...very interesting icon_smile.gif

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 6:14pm
post #10 of 65

ok, the one by the pool is just sick!!!!! I mean I would love to see a start to finish on that mammoth thing!!! Obviously the cakes were not just one cake per layer...who has an oven that big...did Guiness know about that cake????? I'm sure they could have been in the book for that one! Insane!

momvarden Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momvarden Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 6:16pm
post #11 of 65

some of it must be faux cake, i think you would need a fork lift just to move them. They wonderful but a bit much at the same time.
Plus not to mention i am so icon_cry.gif green with envy, just to have the supplies like that at your finger tips and also of his amazing talent.

tatetart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tatetart Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 6:17pm
post #12 of 65

I am sure about 300 cake decorators will get a call this week saying, " I saw this cake from Kuwait and would like to have it for my mother's birthday party. We are going to have about 10 people there. Can you do it and how much will it cost? BTW I am on a really tight budget!!" icon_confused.gif

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 6:25pm
post #13 of 65

How many people would one of those feed !!? Did you see the serving tables in the background..... they went on for "MILES" !! icon_lol.gif

Parable Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Parable Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 6:34pm
post #14 of 65

You guys are cracking me up! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif But I am having the very same thoughts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

There's obviously no shortage of gold in Kuwait, is there?

Do ya think it's Luster Dust or the real thing? icon_rolleyes.gif

this-mama-rocks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
this-mama-rocks Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 6:36pm
post #15 of 65

Soooo glad to know my $4/gallon for gas is well spent.....

momvarden Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momvarden Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 6:40pm
post #16 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by couturiere

I am sure about 300 cake decorators will get a call this week saying, " I saw this cake from Kuwait and would like to have it for my mother's birthday party. We are going to have about 10 people there. Can you do it and how much will it cost? BTW I am on a really tight budget!!" icon_confused.gif

to funny, i have a woman who wants me to make a cake with a flower garden on it for 20-25 people. I have to put a lot of detail, into a very small space. lol, but i will find a way to do it.

tatetart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tatetart Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 6:42pm
post #17 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by this-mama-rocks

Just think...with every one of our cake deliveries, they can buy another dozen 1oz canisters of 24 carat gold luster dust for their next cake!!Hahahahahaha icon_lol.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 7:08pm
post #18 of 65

wow! I mean .... like .... WOW! The man has an incredible talent!

Dixiegal01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dixiegal01 Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 8:21pm
post #19 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by this-mama-rocks

EXACTLY!!!!!!!!!!

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 8:30pm
post #20 of 65

OMG

angelatx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelatx Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 8:50pm
post #21 of 65

gee... and i thought they made things big in texas!! hehehe icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

ceani Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceani Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 9:18pm
post #22 of 65

my sister just saw the one with the roses and asked if I could make it for her 16th b-day.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 9:29pm
post #23 of 65
Quote:

I am sure about 300 cake decorators will get a call this week saying, " I saw this cake from Kuwait and would like to have it for my mother's birthday party.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceani

my sister just saw the one with the roses and asked if I could make it for her 16th b-day.

And so it begins! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 9:41pm
post #24 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

Okay, I recognize the skill required to make those, but a few of them are the butt-ugliest things I've seen in a while. What the heck is that first one, an ode to the groom's little willy? Good lord.

LMAO! Thank GAWD I wasn't drinking anything when I read this or it would have been out my nose and all over my computer screen!!!

ShopGrl1128 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShopGrl1128 Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 10:41pm
post #25 of 65
Quote:

LOL, hey that sounds like one of MY customers.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 13 Oct 2008 , 12:44am
post #26 of 65

Oh, I understand about cultural differences, but I also know ugly when I see it! To be fair, I've seen a lot of ugly American cakes, too, if that helps any. There was one cake that won one of the challenges on Food Network that was just hideous. Of course, I had one bride send me a picture of it to say that they wanted to know how much it would cost...Ugly is obviously in the eye of the beholder, but this one was oogly, fugly, whatever. And it was 100% American! GO USA!

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 2:46am
post #27 of 65

Sylvia Weinstock's new book just came out and she has some cakes in there that actually top these Kuwaiti cakes -- in size alone! icon_eek.gif

Oreocookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Oreocookie Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 11:12pm
post #28 of 65

Good grief!! I wonder how many people they are feeding cake to. And how many hours these must have taken to make!

fondantgrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fondantgrl Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 4:27am
post #29 of 65

I think these are dummies.. for show case only. The real one is probably in sheet cakes in the kitchen ready to be cut. icon_smile.gif

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 10:17am
post #30 of 65

I've actually seen cakes from celebrity weddings that are huge. like one tier is as tall as the groom's torso. I'm gonna go find a picture. I only saw it in a local magazine.

but yeah... gold, much? hehe

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%