Help! Wedding Cake In A Week!

Decorating By His_snowflake Updated 23 Oct 2008 , 4:49am by His_snowflake

His_snowflake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
His_snowflake Posted 11 Oct 2008 , 5:27am
post #1 of 10

I'd like to make a border with molding chocolate. Has anyone ever done this?

9 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 11 Oct 2008 , 11:56am
post #2 of 10

Yes. What did you have in mind?

His_snowflake Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 2:26am
post #3 of 10

Just a straight ribbon. I'm just not sure what to use to cut it to keep it straight and an even width or how to make it long enough to go around the cake. The bottom layer is a 16" square.

mommicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommicakes Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 3:07am
post #4 of 10

Good question, I would like to know the answer too. I have such a difficulty keeping ribbons made from either fondant, or chocolate straight, and the same thickness. I'll keep watching. icon_redface.gif

His_snowflake Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 2:18am
post #5 of 10

I bought some slide-on guide rings at a local store that carries pots and pans, measuring spoons and cups, etc. for my rolling pin. There are several sets in various thicknesses. They worked great for rolling the fondant out at all the same thickness. I started by making a "rope" and then flattening it slightly with my hands before rolling it into a strip.

Then I bought Wilton's Fondant Ribbon Cutter/Embosser Set. It worked like a charm! I used just the straight cutting wheels. The spacer kept it all the same width. I found it didn't matter if you cut the ribbon exactly straight as the chocolate has some give to it. As long as it was the same thickness and width, it worked perfectly!

Good luck with your ribbons!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 2:20am
post #6 of 10

I roll a rope of fondant thru my pasta roller. Then lay a yardstick on top and cut with a knife. The yardstick is the perfect width.

Sweetcakes23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweetcakes23 Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 2:29am
post #7 of 10

I bought a clay gun and extract my fondant through that! Works great. I can do one, two or more ropes and even twist them together or just one.
just be sure and use plenty of crisco so it stays moist and slides through nicely without elephant skin.

newnancy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newnancy Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 3:41am
post #8 of 10

Is there a recipe for making this chocolate? I'd love to give this a try.
Thanks,
Nancy

mommicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommicakes Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 11:44am
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by leahs

I roll a rope of fondant thru my pasta roller. Then lay a yardstick on top and cut with a knife. The yardstick is the perfect width.

What a great idea about the yardstick Leahs! Thanks!! icon_biggrin.gif

His_snowflake Posted 23 Oct 2008 , 4:49am
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by newnancy

Is there a recipe for making this chocolate? I'd love to give this a try.
Thanks,
Nancy

Melt 16 ounces of chocolate and then stir in 1/2 cup Karo syrup. The fat will separate out and then reincorporate as you stir. Pour onto waxed paper and let set uncovered for 3 hours. Cover and let set for another 24 hours. Then knead until you have a pliable, clay like substance. Let set for 20 minutes before using.

You can also use 14 ounces of chocolate and 1/3 cup Karo syrup.

I use those chocolate disks you melt and pour into molds. You can use milk chocolate, white chocolate or dark chocolate.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%