Simple Syrup And Other Moisty Stuff

Business By littlecake Updated 10 Oct 2008 , 6:10pm by BakingGirl

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 4:25am
post #1 of 13

i use simple syrup on everything.....i have never flavored it...

i was thinking tonight (as i always am) of ways of saving time so i can get more cakes done....and have a nice product for the customers.

i was thinking you could come up with some pretty cool flavor combos with just white and chocolate...i do cakes in mass....

anyhoo.... i got to thinkin of making the syrup out of coffee for the chocolate cakes..... or adding rum or ameretto .....

poke some holes in the white and add some of the coconut stuff they make drinks with, for a nice coconut cake.

with the amount of cakes i make every week, i just don't have the time needed to do so many different kinds.

i know ya'll prolly already know all this, i'm still learning as i go along.

i was thinking if i made a simple syrup out of pineapple juice instead of water...it could really add some zing to the carrot cake.

any of you smartys have any cool ideas to share? icon_smile.gif

my customers are spoiled and are used to getting a cake a couple days after they order it, so i gotta have the freezer already stocked for the coming week...prolly only 20% order even a week in advance, it works out ok for me this way.

12 replies
CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 5:35am
post #2 of 13

You have great ideas as well as mouth-watering flavor combos. The only thing I have come up with was using the syrups they sell in the coffee section - Torani syrups, I think they're called?

I did this (although I understand simply syrup is a simple process) because I was finding it was a straight up pain in the butt to make simple syrup for the different cakes and I either made too little or too much. Now, I buy the French Vanilla flavor and use it on everything (since I think it is somewhat neutral) and it doesn't go bad - pour some in a bowl, brush away....add more and then rinse. The bottles are about $4 each here. Not totally cheap considering you could make it for pennies but there are certain things that I will pay for the convenience of and this is one of them.

The good thing is I am going to start buying one different flavor every other month so it won't be cost prohibitive but will let me play with different flavors.

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 8:38am
post #3 of 13

You can get very creative. Since you mentioned pineapples. You can make pineapple upside down cake. Then the juice can be used for a banana split cake. Now pssssst shhhh don't tell anyone. You can take the same juices reduce them down, add a starch for a thickener. Now you have a flavor intense item to do writing with, or add colored accents.

Mike

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 12:08pm
post #4 of 13

The liqeuers can be kinda pricey. I like to use Grand Marnier in my white cake but I don't poke holes I just use a squirt bottle and I don't mean a sprayer--like a katchup bottle-- and just squirt a stream 'round and 'round. But you could use triple sec in place of grand marnier. There's more than one orange liqeuer.

But but but --there's so many flavors now--there's even iced tea flavored vodka--I think I read that on here. But cinnamon flavored stuff kinda comes out dentisty--but if you buy a big bottle of whatever flavor you can keep the cost down but I think you gotta upcharge for it though I think you get great accents.

That coconut stuff is pretty thick --

Random rambling simple syrup thoughts for you.

dinas27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dinas27 Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 12:37pm
post #5 of 13

how about ginger syrup on carrot cake? I add fresh grated ginger to my batter.

I dont know all the flavors you offer but

lemon syrup with white
mint with chocolate
rum butter with white
expresso with white cake and creamcheese icing
hazelnut with chocolate
white chocolate with white

- some these would require the torani syrups. I dont know if you are a bakery only or bakery with coffee but if you are you could get them wholesale.

littlecake Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 1:25pm
post #6 of 13

wow after writing this i watched duff pour like a fifth of booze on his severed toe cake...HOLY COW!!!!

that would spike the cake sales HA HA HA!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 1:40pm
post #7 of 13

You gotta be careful with that stuff or it will make the cake hot and that's so not cool. Did he have it mixed with simple syrup at all? I mean you can overdo it with the ss mixture too.

Ginger on the carrot cake sounds wonderful and it's a lot cheaper than a liqeuer.

The pineapple juice though? I would not make simple syrup out of it -- adding sugar to pineapple juice makes my teeth cringe-- but I would strain it and use it as a splash--but I would test it first. I would apply it and then freeze the cake as you usually do and thaw it out to see if it worked well. For example you don't want it to crystalize or something weird and sog out the cake anywhere. I know that simple syrup and liqeuers works great but other stuff I would test first. Soak a bunch of cupcakes or something.

Adding another sugar keeps things from crystalizing too.

What about Lorann oils?

Just some more random ss thoughts.

littlecake Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 3:01pm
post #8 of 13

dude!...he poured it straight from the bottle!

in his defense, i think it was a donated cake to a big shindig with just adults...his band played there too.

i was just kidding. i'd never pour booze straight on the cake....

i was thinking of the pineapple juice to be used in the simple syrup instead of the water...i'll have to play around with it some.

dinas27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dinas27 Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 3:11pm
post #9 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlecake

and there I go pouring the rum on fruit cake icon_razz.gif and I don't even drink!

littlecake Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 5:42pm
post #10 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinas27

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlecake

and there I go pouring the rum on fruit cake icon_razz.gif and I don't even drink!

icon_surprised.gificon_razz.gificon_eek.gif

cakelady15 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady15 Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 5:49pm
post #11 of 13

I had a cake at a 50th anniversary once and I had to take a drink of my Crown Royal and Ginger Ale to get the liqour taste from the cake out of my mouth. It was horrifying! I don't really know anything about simple syrups since I have never used them, but I do know something about alcohol icon_biggrin.gif

sillyjodes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillyjodes Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 6:09pm
post #12 of 13

Hi, I used a hazelnut coffee syrup (Davinci brand) on my last white cake. I let my 4 yo brush in on. She loved it! Then, I filled it with chocolate pudding with a teaspoon of instant espresso powder mixed in. It was such a yummy cake. It tasted like a good hazelnut latte.
I'd like to try an english toffee or caramel nut syrup on just about any cake. Also, Torani makes some great fruit flavors, watermelon, pink grapefruit, etc, that would be yummy on white cake with lemon curd or grapefruit curd filling.

BakingGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingGirl Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 6:10pm
post #13 of 13

If you want to do something super simple you can also brush layers with melted jelly. I have just finished a vanilla cake brushed with melted strawberry jelly filled with chocolate buttercream. Very yummy. I nuke the jelly for a few minutes on very low to melt, could not be easier.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%