What Do I Do Now??? Cake's Due Tomorrow - Ethical Dilemma

Decorating By berryblondeboys Updated 9 Oct 2008 , 6:37am by MaisieBake

berryblondeboys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
berryblondeboys Posted 9 Oct 2008 , 2:20am
post #1 of 3

Ok, so I said I would make a mini cake and I've never done it before. When I saw and then she saw how small that would be, she decided and I agreed that we should go up a size. So, we did, HOWEVER.... Is this stable??? How do I constuct it?

It's a 6" base, a 4.5" middle and a 3" top.

If I do 2" base, 2" middle and 2" top (with filling it's about 2.5" tall each layer), it looks a little short and squat. If I do 3" inches (but with filling it's really 4"), it looks HUGELY tall and skinny.. basically it's only 6.5" wide and 8" tall!!! It looks like it will be unstable.

I know for the lady that the serving size was an issue. She wants it MAINLY for her MIL and FIL, but also other people will want to taste.... but if I cut it down a layer, they'll lose that much cake...

What if I just did TWO layers - 6" and 4" at 4" tall? Is that unethical to ditch a layer? they'll have more cake this way than if I take out a bit from each layer...

Ack!!! I'll never get this cake stuff down so that I feel CONFIDENT!

Melissa

2 replies
AZCakeGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCakeGirl Posted 9 Oct 2008 , 2:47am
post #2 of 3

There's just something about a three tier cake that has more of a "wow" factor to me. I wouldn't suggest making it only two tiers if they are expecting a three tier, regardless of size, that would be a little disappointing to me if I were the client. That being said, I would NOT be disappointed if I came to pick up the cake & it were exactly as I ordered, only a larger scale as long as you explained to me that you had problems getting the smaller version to be stable enough.

MaisieBake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MaisieBake Posted 9 Oct 2008 , 6:37am
post #3 of 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZCakeGirl

There's just something about a three tier cake that has more of a "wow" factor to me. I wouldn't suggest making it only two tiers if they are expecting a three tier, regardless of size, that would be a little disappointing to me if I were the client.

Agreed.

I think if you agreed to three tiers you're stuck with three tiers, regardless of whether you'd be giving more cake with two tiers.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%