What To Bring Along On First Wedding Cake Delivery

Decorating By Lori2240 Updated 8 Oct 2008 , 1:19pm by Lori2240

Lori2240 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lori2240 Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 8:40pm
post #1 of 7

I am going to be delivering my first ever wedding cake and was looking for any advice on what I should bring along. I know to bring some royal icing/buttercream for any touch ups, but what else?? I read at some point that some people bring cutting charts or instructions???? If so, does anyone know where I can get that info? Any advice is appreciated! Thanks!!

6 replies
bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 9:16pm
post #2 of 7

Hi, I don't know whether you need to take a cutting chart, unless you are the one who is going do it. But if you want one, here is a link,

http://www.earlenescakes.com/cakeservinst.htm

HTH.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 12:13pm
post #3 of 7

I haven't done it yet....but I've heard that you should give a cutting chart to the family. For instance, say they wanted a cake for 100 people. The person who is cutting the cake doesn't know how to cut and serve the cake... so instead of 100 servings, they end up with 60 and there's not enough cake to go around.

I definitely plan to hand out cake serving sizes when I get to that level. =o) Goodluck. This thread is a GREAT idea!!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 12:40pm
post #4 of 7

Everything I take will fit in a ziplok bag.

- One bag of icing with whatever tips I might need to add a border.
- If I'm adding ribbon after it's assembled, take a pair of scissors.
- My spatula, to set the tiers on top of each other.
- camera
- A hand towel .... to lay on the table when working so as to not get icing on the linen tablecover, and to wipe my hands on.
- I leave the excel sheet I make of the cake that shows the flavor of each tier and how many servings each tier is expected to serve. This is very helpful to the facility staff if there are multiple flavors in the cake.
- If there is any equipment to be returned, I leave a small white trash bag, with my name and number written on it in black magic marker, under the table. As they disassemble the cake, they just drop any pillars or cake plates in the bag .... easy to manage and return.
- I've seen a lot of my brides have a print-out of my website page on "How to cut a wedding cake" laying on the table, so Aunt Sally will know how to cut the cake. I might start carrying a couple of these and leaving one if the reception is not in a hotel/country club facility. http://cateritsimple.com/_wsn/page10.html

Lori2240 Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 1:06pm
post #5 of 7

Thank you ladies so much for the tips!!! For weddings do you do the standard wedding size or the party cake size? I feel the wedding size is so small, but it is also less work. Thank you!!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 1:10pm
post #6 of 7

Most facilities (hotels, country clubs, etc) cut to the wilton wedding chart ... 1x2x4 is the industry standard. Most people hear "one inch" and they think "paper thin" ... it's not.

Here's pics of pieces of cake cut in those dimensions ... as you can see, it's a nice DESSERT size piece of cake. http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1156785 You can give folks a good visual by comparing it to a folded over peanut butter sandwich.

On the "how to cut a wedding cake" link, there are also pics of cut pieces of cake. I cut 1x2x4 when I cut my wedding cakes and I have lots of people asking for "...a smaller piece, please".

Lori2240 Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 1:19pm
post #7 of 7

Thank you so much!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%