Bulk Tylose?? Anyone Know Where To Get Large Quantities?

Business By elvis Updated 7 Oct 2008 , 5:02pm by PinkZiab

elvis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elvis Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 4:26pm
post #1 of 6

Does anyone know where I can get large quantities of tylose? I have started making my own gum paste (Lodge's recipe) and the largest I've found so far is 55g. containers. That means that one or two batches of gumpaste later, it's gone.

Anyone out there know where to get it in larger quanities? Thanks!!

5 replies
jessfmaldonado Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessfmaldonado Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 4:32pm
post #2 of 6

I go through it very fast too!! That is the only container I have been able to find. I would love to know if there is a larger one!!! Great Question!!

Jessica icon_smile.gif

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 4:45pm
post #3 of 6

I get my CMC (carboxymethylcellulose--the main ingredient in tylose) from www.chefrubber.com

It $17 for 500g

jessfmaldonado Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessfmaldonado Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 4:49pm
post #4 of 6

Pinkziab, you always have a great answer!!! So do you use this just like tylose? Or do you use less or more?? I know aine2 always says it is the same thing, but I'm curious if it is used a bit differently. What is the difference between the two?
TIA
Jessica icon_smile.gif

PinkZiab Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 5:01pm
post #5 of 6

I've always used straight cmc, never tylose, so i don't know if it's the same. How much I add depends on the application. 1 gram cmc to 100 grams of fondant is my usual jumping off point lol, but since i don't always weigh out my fondant (bad pastry chef!) I usually just eyeball it icon_wink.gif

PinkZiab Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 5:02pm
post #6 of 6

I don't know if there is any significant different, performance-wise

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%