Smbc Question- Can You Use Eggwhites From A Carton?

Baking By waybeyondcakes Updated 8 Oct 2008 , 10:36pm by BakingJeannie

waybeyondcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
waybeyondcakes Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 2:02pm
post #1 of 10

Hello everyone. I wanted to ask if anyone out there has used the ready eggwhites in the carton to make swiss meringue buttercream-- although it says on the label that it is 'not recommended' for meringues, maybe someone has tried it and got good results.
It seems like a more efficient way to make the buttercream instead of breaking 12 eggs. Hope you can help me. Thank you icon_smile.gif

9 replies
jessfmaldonado Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessfmaldonado Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 3:35pm
post #2 of 10

I use the egg whites out of the carton all the time!! It is the only thing I use now. No more left over egg yolks. It works because I still heat up the whites with the sugar to 160. If you try to beat the whites without heating(IMBC) it does not work for me. For SMBC(heating with the sugar) it works!!

Hth,
Jessica

kettlevalleygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kettlevalleygirl Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 2:36pm
post #3 of 10

I have a question: jessfmaldonado.....
Did it take a long time to get to the 160 degrees?? The last batch I made, it took forever to get to the temperature, I was getting hot!!
I was just thinking it didn't work that well because I used the carton egg whites..
OK, now I am going to look up the SMBC recipe and try that....

jessfmaldonado Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessfmaldonado Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 2:40pm
post #4 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kettlevalleygirl

I have a question: jessfmaldonado.....
Did it take a long time to get to the 160 degrees?? The last batch I made, it took forever to get to the temperature, I was getting hot!!
I was just thinking it didn't work that well because I used the carton egg whites..
OK, now I am going to look up the SMBC recipe and try that....

Actually it is a whole lot FASTER!!! It really heats up faster for me with the carton whites!! It really saves alot of time!

Jessica icon_smile.gif

kettlevalleygirl Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 4:08pm
post #5 of 10

Thank you, I will try it this weekend, I tried beating over the stove, and I nearly died with the heat, and then I didn't really taste that great, what recipe do you use??

BakingJeannie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingJeannie Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 4:51pm
post #6 of 10

Pardon me dropping in like this, but may I share?

I have always used the egg whites in the box and I heat it with the sugar until warm, not hot. I found a recipe on the Martha Stewart's website and I have been using that ever since:

2 lbs butter
3 cups sugar
12 oz egg whites
2 tsp vanilla extract (if you are not storing it)

I use extra-fine sugar which I buy at Sams.

I love this buttercream. thumbs_up.gif

Cheers!
Jeannie

kettlevalleygirl Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 5:03pm
post #7 of 10

Thanks! what is the name of that recipe, is it IMBC or SMBC??

BakingJeannie Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 5:19pm
post #8 of 10

It is SMBC.

cas17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cas17 Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 5:48pm
post #9 of 10

yesterday i made my first SMBC and used the "just egg whites" and it too seemed to take forever to get up to 160 degrees. i did get it to 130 and took it off the heat figuring that it really didn't need to get to 160 since they were pasturized. problem was they would never whip up for me, even after 10 min and the mixing bowl was totally cool by then. i rinsed it down the sink and started over with fresh egg whites and had not a speck of trouble. someone in another thread said that particular brand never works for them either and to try another brand. hth!

BakingJeannie Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 10:36pm
post #10 of 10

I use the pasturized egg whites "All Whites - 100% Egg Whites" (the box is green and white with some blue), but I just get the eggs warm, never hot. I found the extra-fine sugar works best for me. I have use about three different brand of egg whites and never had a problem.

Cheers!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%