Anyone Heard Of "getting Booed"?

Lounge By Honeydukes Updated 15 Oct 2008 , 4:59pm by Ironbaker

Honeydukes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Honeydukes Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 5:43am
post #1 of 23

I read about "Getting BOOed." You leave a basket or bag of goodies at a neighbor's house, ring the doorbell and run. They enjoy the goodies and tape a "ghost" to their front door. Then they return the favor by leaving treats for two families who don't already have "ghosts" on their doors. The idea is to continue to pass it on until Halloween (I think). It sounds like fun, but I've not heard of it before. Did a little searching and found these sites:

http://familycrafts.about.com/cs/halloween/l/blhalbooed.htm
http://www.creativekidsathome.com/activities/Halloween_newideas.html#Got%20Booed?
http://organizedchristmas.com/youve-been-booed
http://www.busybeelifestyle.com/this-halloween-try-booing/

BOO notes:
http://www.busybeelifestyle.com/a-booing-poem/
http://www.teachingheart.net/booednote.pdf

22 replies
sweetness_221 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetness_221 Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 1:13pm
post #2 of 23

I saw at Target that they have "Boo Kits". They are bags or boxes with candy that say "You have been boo'd". I think it's a cute idea.

Meemawfish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Meemawfish Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 1:34pm
post #3 of 23

Wow I've never heard of that before but that sounds so great. Maybe I'll have to start one in my neighborhood. icon_biggrin.gif

darandon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darandon Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 2:09pm
post #4 of 23

We have down it in my neighborhood in the past, I may have to start it for this year. It is always fun to do.

jjkarm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jjkarm Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 2:30pm
post #5 of 23

Something like this goes around in my neighborhood almost every year. It's always fun to receive, and then fun to have your kids help you "Boo" a couple of the neighbors. We've also had a similar thing happen around Christmas time but instead of a Halloween ghost, it's a Christmas star that's left with a cute poem. Don't you just love the holidays! icon_biggrin.gif

Pookie59 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pookie59 Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 6:06pm
post #6 of 23

They do it here at work - you'll come in and find it on your desk. I'm not a big Halloween person, so if they substituted Christmas instead ("You've been Santaed") I think it would be more fun.

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 6:09pm
post #7 of 23

What a fantastic idea.....so do you pre-talk to your neighbors about it or just leave the goodies and instructions? As I'm typing this, I realize there were links in the OP and they wouldn't load very fast (my computer is a wee POS) so I will click those.

Thanks to OP for this idea - I think it sounds so fun!!

Honeydukes Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 7:25pm
post #8 of 23

For those of you who've done this, when do you start? Since each person has two days to respond, that could take a coupla weeks for everyone to participate. I was thinking about next week? Too soon?

Lisa93063 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa93063 Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 8:02pm
post #9 of 23

We did this every year when my kids were young. Great fun! Sometimes we were the first to get booed, others we started it. Bag of goodies doesn't have to be elaborate. I don't think next week is too early to start.

jjkarm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jjkarm Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 8:32pm
post #10 of 23

Around here it starts about a month before the holiday. This way it leaves plenty of time for giving since some people may take longer then 2 days to pass it on. Don't talk to your neighbors in advance. Part of the fun is that you don't know who left you the goodies. Just knock or ring the doorbell and run. Then when the neighbor comes to the door, they have a pleasant surprise.

We've also done a similar thing with the 12 days of Christmas. I think you start on the 14th of Dec. and leave something different each day until Christmas. There are some cute poems out there to go along with the different gifts you leave. The kids really get into this one, it's great fun!

michellenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellenj Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 9:14pm
post #11 of 23

Ooh! Can I do this with Ex-Lax brownies for the neighbors whose dog bit m y son? icon_biggrin.gif

MustloveDogs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MustloveDogs Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 4:00am
post #12 of 23

[/quote]Ooh! Can I do this with Ex-Lax brownies for the neighbors whose dog bit m y son? [quote]

Lol! Except you had better run away REAL fast after you press the doorbell, not so they dont' see you but so they don't beat you up!
(They sounded like absolute shockers from your other thread!

MustloveDogs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MustloveDogs Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 4:01am
post #13 of 23

ARRRGH!
I suck at quoting!!!!! icon_cry.gif

Jasmine33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jasmine33 Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 4:29am
post #14 of 23

Someone hit our house 2 nites ago and we didn't know what the heck was going on!

Honeydukes Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 5:33am
post #15 of 23

OMGosh it's already starting!! icon_eek.gif I need to go get a container. Will stop by the dollar and party stores tomorrow. I can't wait!!

I am trying to come up with a list of stuff to put in my basket. Do any of you include homemade goodies? Here's what I have so far -- any other ideas?
sticker books
glowy necklaces
foam bat kits for hanging in trees
a few candies

darandon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darandon Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 12:12pm
post #16 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeydukes

OMGosh it's already starting!! icon_eek.gif I need to go get a container. Will stop by the dollar and party stores tomorrow. I can't wait!!

I am trying to come up with a list of stuff to put in my basket. Do any of you include homemade goodies? Here's what I have so far -- any other ideas?
sticker books
glowy necklaces
foam bat kits for hanging in trees
a few candies

I plan on making pumpkin bread to put in my boo baskets.

Dale Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dale Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 2:40am
post #17 of 23

We used to do it when I was a kid...put dog poop in a bag, set it on the porch ad set fire to it...ring the bell and run...
We called it "Getting Pooed..."
Same principle...cept you cant sell it at Target.

mocakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mocakes Posted 11 Oct 2008 , 12:31am
post #18 of 23

We call it "Getting Spooked"...

We had friends that did that to us about 5 years ago...we didn't know what the heck was going on...but we found out who did it. It was so cute! They left bags of goodies on our porch...

So the next year rolls around and my friend called and weirdly asked, "Are you going to be home this evening?" I said yes and she hung up laughing...so we knew they were on their way over.

So my DH and I hurried and he threw a white sheet over him and hid on the side of the house....I threw on a long black coat and quickly teased and sprayed my long hair to make me look like a psycho crazy woman....

It was dark so we slipped outside and I hid behind a tree by the front of the house and DH was on the side. All of a sudden we see headlights turn down our gravel lane. They parked half way down and their 2 girls and their friends got out and tip-toed carrying their goodie bags. You could hear them whispering and giggling trying to sneak up without being noticed....

They quietly slipped up to the porch and set the bags down and just as they turned around....I came out from behind a tree in the dark....they see this crazy shadowy looking thing coming toward them....I start groaning and cackling.....

They take off screaming!!! Just when they think they've gotten away from me....my DH comes out from the side of the house!! These girls took off screaming and running.....we follow them down the gravel lane and as we get closer to the car, we hear our friends (the mom and dad who stayed behind in the car) laughing so hard!!

They still talk about that! They thought they were going to do the spooking....but we fooled them!!!

SweetPea0613 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetPea0613 Posted 11 Oct 2008 , 5:06am
post #19 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by mocakes

We call it "Getting Spooked"...

We had friends that did that to us about 5 years ago...we didn't know what the heck was going on...but we found out who did it. It was so cute! They left bags of goodies on our porch...

So the next year rolls around and my friend called and weirdly asked, "Are you going to be home this evening?" I said yes and she hung up laughing...so we knew they were on their way over.

So my DH and I hurried and he threw a white sheet over him and hid on the side of the house....I threw on a long black coat and quickly teased and sprayed my long hair to make me look like a psycho crazy woman....

It was dark so we slipped outside and I hid behind a tree by the front of the house and DH was on the side. All of a sudden we see headlights turn down our gravel lane. They parked half way down and their 2 girls and their friends got out and tip-toed carrying their goodie bags. You could hear them whispering and giggling trying to sneak up without being noticed....

They quietly slipped up to the porch and set the bags down and just as they turned around....I came out from behind a tree in the dark....they see this crazy shadowy looking thing coming toward them....I start groaning and cackling.....

They take off screaming!!! Just when they think they've gotten away from me....my DH comes out from the side of the house!! These girls took off screaming and running.....we follow them down the gravel lane and as we get closer to the car, we hear our friends (the mom and dad who stayed behind in the car) laughing so hard!!

They still talk about that! They thought they were going to do the spooking....but we fooled them!!!

That is so funny!! I actually laughed out loud....I love Halloween!!!

redhare Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redhare Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 1:02am
post #20 of 23

that is SOOOO awesome too bad I live in a neighborhood full of party poopers!

lepaz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lepaz Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 4:29am
post #21 of 23

We tried it Sunday night with two of our neighbors. Baked some Banana Nut Bread and chocolate chip cookies, also put in Twix, Snickers and a few other chocolates in a Halloween bowl covered with Clear Wrap and of course the "Boo-ing" poem. That was two days ago and nothing yet. No sign in the doors yet. My kids had fun being sneaky though. I just wonder if the neighbors think some crazy people left the stuff at their door....

dragonflydreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dragonflydreams Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 6:04am
post #22 of 23

. . . for all of you Halloween fans . . . have you seen the cake contest . . . http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-606726-.html . . . icon_biggrin.gif

Ironbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ironbaker Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 4:59pm
post #23 of 23

mocakes, that is awesome and something I would do! I love this time of year!

icon_lol.gif @ Dale yeah, I don't think Target will be selling those kits anytime soon.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%