Baking Problem

Decorating By Kitty484 Updated 10 Oct 2008 , 7:38pm by Kitty484

Kitty484 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitty484 Posted 5 Oct 2008 , 9:19pm
post #1 of 7

When I bake my cakes, they always rise really well everywhere except the edge. This means that when I'm levelling, if I levelled to the lowest point, the cake would end up being less than half an inch thick! However, if I don't, then I end up with a big gap all around the two layers which I have to stuff full of filling and it makes the cake quite sickly at the outer edges.
What am I doing wrong and is there anything that'll make them rise more at the edges?

6 replies
kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 5 Oct 2008 , 9:29pm
post #2 of 7

It would help to know what recipe you are using (scratch or mix?) and what temperature you bake at? Without knowing those things though, I might guess that you're not filling your pans full enough with batter. Cakes will always naturally rise more in the center than the edge, so when you fill the pan at least 1/2 or 2/3 full of batter, the entire cake will rise above the pan, and when you level you'll get a nice uniform 2" high layer. There's an example of it here. icon_biggrin.gif

SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 5 Oct 2008 , 9:33pm
post #3 of 7

Lower your oven temp to 325F and use bake-even strips. You'll be amazed.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 5 Oct 2008 , 11:24pm
post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarFrosted

Lower your oven temp to 325F and use bake-even strips. You'll be amazed.

Absolute ditto this!

Kitty484 Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 2:25pm
post #5 of 7

I usually bake at 180C but I have a fan oven and it can be a bit temperamental. I'm a scratch baker and they always come out really lovely but thin at the edges. They seem to rise well at first but then stop. when I look through the glass after the first ten minutes, they're nice and level and starting to fluff up but when I take them out they have stopped rising for about an inch around the edge! They don't dome as such in the middle. From that inch in, they will rise very evenly and be about 2 inches all the way across apart from that outer inch!
I have tried baking at lower temp a few times but it seems to make them soggy in the middle. This may be that I'm not very good at adjusting the cooking time though icon_redface.gif !
This problem really bugs me because otherwise the cakes are really nice and I get lots of compliments about them but I just would like them to not have that big gap between the layers icon_sad.gif

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 6:34pm
post #6 of 7

Are you filling the pans 2/3 of the way full? When you got the soggy middle, why didn't you cook it longer?

Mike

Kitty484 Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 7:38pm
post #7 of 7

I tested the cakes like I always do, with a skewer, and it came out clean and the top was springy. However, When I turned them out and they cooled, they were a little too 'moist' in the very middle.
And yes, the pan is usually 2/3 full.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%