Ever Get Carried Away With A Cake?

Decorating By Teena_Marie Updated 5 Oct 2008 , 3:21am by Teena_Marie

Teena_Marie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Teena_Marie Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 7:57am
post #1 of 10

Have you every gotten so into decorating a cake that you realize its 4am and you know you should go to bed, but dont want to cut off the creativity thats flowing?

9 replies
marknelliesmum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marknelliesmum Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 8:13am
post #2 of 10

My personal record is 6am but it has nothing to do with flowing creativity and much more to do with blind panic or knowing that if i don't keep going with those fiddly bits i'll never get them done or will never get the peace and quiet to do them as well as i would like to, hence my ' i'll go to bed in half an hour' theory icon_lol.gif

Teena_Marie Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 8:21am
post #3 of 10

I'm just making the decorations for the cake and Im so enthralled in every little detail that Ive only finished 2 pieces and I have lots and lots more to do. But I am very very please with the ones I have done so I guess thats a plus.

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 9:26am
post #4 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teena_Marie

Have you every gotten so into decorating a cake that you realize its 4am and you know you should go to bed, but dont want to cut off the creativity thats flowing?

Oh sure! Not just cake...I have worked on paintings till the wee hours..you get into the groove and dont want to stop! Who can sleep anyway?

LisaR64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaR64 Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 11:41am
post #5 of 10

I often get carried away too, but for me, it's more a problem of not knowing when to step away from the cake. The cake will be looking really nice, but then I just have to add a little something here, and maybe a touch of something there, and before I know it, the cake starts to look too busy, so then I try to remove something and end up messing up all of my hard work.

My husband has a good eye for design, so lately, I've trusted him to tell me when it's time to "step away from the cake"

Eisskween Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eisskween Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 11:55am
post #6 of 10

I know what you are talking about. 3:00 a.m. is my own personal best. LOL You have to grab the creative brass ring while you are in the groove! That's how you know you have the passion for something.

Have a great day! icon_biggrin.gif
Best,
Karen

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 1:28pm
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaR64

I often get carried away too, but for me, it's more a problem of not knowing when to step away from the cake. The cake will be looking really nice, but then I just have to add a little something here, and maybe a touch of something there, and before I know it, the cake starts to look too busy, so then I try to remove something and end up messing up all of my hard work.

My husband has a good eye for design, so lately, I've trusted him to tell me when it's time to "step away from the cake"

I had a professor in college who told me less is more. He said if you start looking at whatever you are doing (being is a sculpture, a painting or in this case, a cake) and think to yourself "Ok, what else can I do" its time to stop. The project is done! My DH is also really good at that, and has stopped me a few times from completely tearing apart a cake and redoing it because I just wasn't happy with it! We are our worse critics.

KKC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KKC Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 4:01pm
post #8 of 10

Last Friday I had a lot of cakes to do....i woke up Friday morning at 7:30 and I didn't go to sleep until Saturday morning at 9:30am...which i only slept for 1/2 hour because someone else was coming to get a cake. So i'm up again at 10am and didn't go back to sleep until 2am Sunday morning. So basically i was up for almost 2 days with 1/2 hour of sleep. I just couldn't walk away from my cakes! I believe that when you're on a roll you can't stop otherwise it'll throw u off. Thats just me!

cakelady77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady77 Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 4:29pm
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kivia

Last Friday I had a lot of cakes to do....i woke up Friday morning at 7:30 and I didn't go to sleep until Saturday morning at 9:30am...which i only slept for 1/2 hour because someone else was coming to get a cake. So i'm up again at 10am and didn't go back to sleep until 2am Sunday morning. So basically i was up for almost 2 days with 1/2 hour of sleep. I just couldn't walk away from my cakes! I believe that when you're on a roll you can't stop otherwise it'll throw u off. Thats just me!

I'm so glad I'm not the only person who does this! My husband gets so upset with me when he wakes up in the morning and I'm still working on cakes from the night before, because he knows he'll be the one cleaning up the mess so that I can go sleep before someone picks up a cake. Usually I'm up for the rest of the day because I made a cake for a party that I have to go to! Now trying to make conversation when you're functioning on a couple hours of sleep (if even that much), that's challenging!

Teena_Marie Posted 5 Oct 2008 , 3:21am
post #10 of 10

I've always done this. My family teases me and calls me the night baker. I will start doing my cake after i put the baby to bed. and then i will stay up all night till its finished! Before i had my son (he is 3 now) it didnt matter if i was up all night, but now I have to really make myself stop because i will have to get up whenever he does in the mornings and its soooo hard to do!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%