What's The Best Cream Cheese Icing Recipe?!?!

Decorating By doublecz1103 Updated 11 Oct 2008 , 1:02pm by daranaco

doublecz1103 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doublecz1103 Posted 3 Oct 2008 , 9:10pm
post #1 of 26

I've never made cream cheese icing before and I just had a request to put it with banana cake.. any recipe someone would like to recommend??!!

25 replies
weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 3 Oct 2008 , 10:47pm
post #2 of 26

As long as you dont need to have it crust I always use the one my mom gave me for carrot cake.
You use four blocks of cream cheese, 2 tbs butter, 1 tsp vanilla and 2 cups of confectionary sugar.
Let the cream cheese sit out until its room temp and also the butter. Then cream them together, add the vanilla and then slowly add the confectionary sugar until combined. If you want, you can add a tsp of cinnomin or pumpkin pie spice to it to "kick it up a notch!"

Karema Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karema Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 1:13am
post #3 of 26

I always use one stick of butter one pack of cream cheese and 2 pounds of powdered sugar and a tsp of vanilla.

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 1:55am
post #5 of 26

I tried Toba's cream cheese icing recipe which had the best flavor but the worst consistency -- go figure!

weirkd Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 5:32pm
post #6 of 26

Ive never tried any other recipe because this one tastes so good. Its really creamy and not overly sweet. You should definetly try it!

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 8:08pm
post #7 of 26

weirkd, you cannot mean 2 cups of sugar... can you?

weirkd Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 8:20pm
post #8 of 26

Yes, that is what I wrote, 2 cups of confectionary sugar. Karema said 2 pounds of sugar to one block of cream cheese on her recipe. I think that is a bit much!!!

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 9:13pm
post #9 of 26

I use Toba Garret's recipe and I love the taste. icon_smile.gif

Sweet_Guys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Guys Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 12:37am
post #10 of 26

We just tried a new version with red velvet cupcakes. It was yummy! Here it is:

1. Cream 1/2 stick butter with 8 oz cream cheese.
2. Add 1 tsp vanilla extract.
3. Add 1 1/2 cups confectioner's sugar a 1/2 cup at a time.

It went into the piping bag nicely and yielded 36 regular-sized cupcakes (72 mini cupcakes).

weirkd Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 12:45am
post #11 of 26

The only difference is a half a cup of confectionary sugar and tbsp of butter to the one I use.

maryj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maryj Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 12:50am
post #12 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwonderbuns

I tried Toba's cream cheese icing recipe which had the best flavor but the worst consistency -- go figure!

I agree, so have you tried to fix the consistency problem? I tried more powdered sugar but to no avail. It tastes fab but it slid off my cakes.

steplite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
steplite Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 12:56am
post #13 of 26

I use 2 eight oz. packages of cream cheese .... 1/2 stick of butter...Wilton's clear vanilla and two pounds powdered sugar. It tastes great!

bettinashoe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bettinashoe Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 1:11am
post #14 of 26

My cream cheese icing is the same as weirkd's. I've been using it with my carrot cake for years and years. It has a great flavor and consistency but it doesn't crust. If crusting isn't an issue then I strongly recommend it. Everyone has always raved about it.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 1:14am
post #15 of 26

I just use the recipe on the back of the Domino sugar bag, minus the milk. Its one block of cheese, one stick of butter, vanilla, and one lb of sugar I think. The milk makes it too soft IMO. I use it as filling....I probably would not pipe with it.

I had to ice a cake once with CC and I iced it and then mixed the rest of the CC icing with more sugar so that it would be stiffer for piping. Didn't lose the flavor for most of the cake, but easier to pipe nice borders.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 5:09pm
post #16 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by maryj

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwonderbuns

I agree, so have you tried to fix the consistency problem? I tried more powdered sugar but to no avail. It tastes fab but it slid off my cakes.

Nope, I was never able to fix the consistency problem without altering the taste. That seems to be par for her recipes though, great taste, lousy consistency. Guess I have to more experimenting! icon_rolleyes.gificon_razz.gif

cakebaker1957 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaker1957 Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 7:52pm
post #17 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by weirkd

As long as you dont need to have it crust I always use the one my mom gave me for carrot cake.
You use four blocks of cream cheese, 2 tbs butter, 1 tsp vanilla and 2 cups of confectionary sugar.
Let the cream cheese sit out until its room temp and also the butter. Then cream them together, add the vanilla and then slowly add the confectionary sugar until combined. If you want, you can add a tsp of cinnomin or pumpkin pie spice to it to "kick it up a notch!"

sorry to jump in here but do you have to refrigerate the cake if icing it with the Cream cheese??

Bethkay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bethkay Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 12:35am
post #18 of 26

Hope this isn't too late. My recipe is a tad different from the ones I have seen posted, so I thought I would put it out there.

1.5 lbs cream cheese (3 blocks)
4 oz. butter (1 stick)
1/2 lb. confectioner's sugar
Lemon juice to taste for contrast.

I fill and crumb coat carrot cakes and red velvet cakes with this and then cover with vanilla buttercream.

doublecz1103 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doublecz1103 Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 1:56am
post #19 of 26

that was my other question cakebaker.. do u need to refrig with this type of icing??

Bethkay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bethkay Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 2:30am
post #20 of 26

I always refrigerate anything with cream cheese in it. So the short answer is "yes."

mixinvixen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mixinvixen Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 2:32am
post #21 of 26

earlene has a great tasting recipe on her site under the icing recipe section...larger batch version and a small one also.

plbennett_8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
plbennett_8 Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 3:45am
post #22 of 26

This recipe always works great. It is crusting and you can decorate with it too. icon_smile.gif

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-6817-Wedding---Crusting-Cream-Cheese-Frosting.html

Pat

cakebaker1957 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaker1957 Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 10:43am
post #23 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublecz1103

that was my other question cakebaker.. do u need to refrig with this type of icing??

I have gotten replys both way's , some said no you didnt have to and some said yes so to be on the safe side i did refrigerate mine . i think one post here said food save is no more that 4hrs from time you icing it until you eat it hope this helps

momma28 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momma28 Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 12:55pm
post #24 of 26

White chocolate cream cheese buttercream is my favorite. I typed out the recipe on the thread requesting a good frosting for spice cake. No better cream cheese frosting as far as im concerned.

crafty_mom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crafty_mom Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 2:50pm
post #25 of 26

thanks for the info, guys thumbs_up.gif

daranaco Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daranaco Posted 11 Oct 2008 , 1:02pm
post #26 of 26
Quote:
Quote:

White Chocolate Cream Cheese Buttercream

9 ounces white chocolate
1 1/2 pkgs cream cheese (room temp)
5 tblsp butter (room temp)
1 lb confectioners sugar

Melt white chocolate either over a double boiler or in the microwave (30 seconds at a time) While chocolate cools slightly cream butter and cream cheese until fluffly. Add melted chocolate to cream cheese and butter mix. Add, slowly, 1 lb confectioners sugar. If you beat this mixture on too high a level it will get air bubbles in it so beware. It is soooo yummy. Hope you enjoy

Here's the recipe from the other thread. Can't wait to try it, momma28!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%