A Thick Layer Of Filling

Decorating By doreenre Updated 30 Sep 2008 , 7:39pm by icedbycarrie

doreenre Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doreenre Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 5:22pm
post #1 of 17

So, I'm watching AMazing Wedding Cakes on the WE channel, and I see a couple cut into their professionally made wedding cake.

I see a torted cake with two very generous layers of filling, I'd say at least 1/4" thick.

My question...how do you apply THAT much icing/buttercream/whatever without it settling and bulging out the sides? I would imagine that the fondant application would make the top of the cake that much heavier and cause it to press down and bulge, yes?

I HAVE to know this trick. My buttercream fillings aren't very thick or in my opinion, a good proportion of cake and buttercream/icing/filling.

16 replies
CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 5:26pm
post #2 of 17

I'm not sure if we are thinking of the same part but I saw a huuuuuuge layer of icing - way bigger then 1/4 inch. It looked like a full inch of buttercream jammed in there. And they didn't torte at all (I think it was the CakeDiva's but I'm not sure.)

I know that it would be stable since the BC looked firm, firm, firm but how appetizing is that?? And I thought most high end bakers torted their cakes? I think it was the green/Ed Begley Jr. cake that had that massive thick layer of icing......... I was baffled.

Cherie206 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cherie206 Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 5:34pm
post #3 of 17

I think it was The Cake Atelier cake. They showed the Bride and Groom cutting into it and the filling looked very thick. On the FN Cake challenges for the Wedding/Bday cakes they always show the judges tasting the cakes and they are all torted....

jessfmaldonado Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessfmaldonado Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 5:45pm
post #4 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeDiva73

I'm not sure if we are thinking of the same part but I saw a huuuuuuge layer of icing - way bigger then 1/4 inch. It looked like a full inch of buttercream jammed in there. And they didn't torte at all (I think it was the CakeDiva's but I'm not sure.)

I know that it would be stable since the BC looked firm, firm, firm but how appetizing is that?? And I thought most high end bakers torted their cakes? I think it was the green/Ed Begley Jr. cake that had that massive thick layer of icing......... I was baffled.

Oh my goodness, My hubby and I were watching this too. It was the Cake Diva's. They just slap on the bc and it has to be maybe 1 -2 inches. We both thought gross a huge mouth full of icing. They do that with all of their cakes!! If you watch all of the episodes all of the cakes have that huge layer of bc. Why?????? I wonder what bc they use.

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 5:47pm
post #5 of 17

I used smbc for a filling, and I was able to get those thick layer of filling without it squishing out on the sides. I never used smbc to fill a cake before and I too often wondered how they get those thick layer of filling. I took two, 9x2 layers and torted them for 4 layers of cake and 3 layers of thick filling.

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 5:48pm
post #6 of 17

While I definitely think 2" is a bit much lol, I usually try to make my filling the same thickness as my cake layers. To me, it tastes better, and it looks much nicer when the cake is cut.

jessfmaldonado Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 5:49pm
post #7 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyty

I used smbc for a filling, and I was able to get those thick layer of filling without it squishing out on the sides. I never used smbc to fill a cake before and I too often wondered how they get those thick layer of filling. I took two, 9x2 layers and torted them for 4 layers of cake and 3 layers of thick filling.

I only use SMBC too. I do about a 1/4 inch of filling. Never 1-2 inches. hmmmm I just dont get it!

ShellBell69 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShellBell69 Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 5:50pm
post #8 of 17

If this is the episode I saw I also noticed that when they were icing the cake they didn't level them. She just dumped the top cake (upside down) onto the bottom and left the big hump on it (hope that makes sense). Maybe that is why it had so much icing inbetween. I was totally shocked when she did it.

Cherie206 Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 5:51pm
post #9 of 17

Sorry - Newbie here. What is SMBC? (I get IMBC) and who has the best recipe?

jessfmaldonado Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 5:55pm
post #10 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherie206

Sorry - Newbie here. What is SMBC? (I get IMBC) and who has the best recipe?

SMBC is Swiss Meringue Buttercream. I love, love, love it. Its a bit more stable than IMBC. Bascially the same thing just made in different ways. JKalman has a great recipe here on CC.
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-5453-2-The-Well-Dressed-Cake-Swiss-Meringue-Buttercream-with-variations.html

HTH
Jessica

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 5:56pm
post #11 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessfmaldonado

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyty

I only use SMBC too. I do about a 1/4 inch of filling. Never 1-2 inches. hmmmm I just dont get it!

I had 1 inch cakes and 1/2 inch filling. I think 1 to 2 inches would be too much for me also.

Cherie206 Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 5:57pm
post #12 of 17

THank you jessfmaldonado!! I appreciate that!! I'm going to whip up a batch tonight and check it out.

chrissypie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chrissypie Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 5:58pm
post #13 of 17

SMBC swiss meringue buttercream. icon_biggrin.gif

msulli10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msulli10 Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 6:08pm
post #14 of 17

Can you use SMBC to cover your cakes or is it just used as a filling? Does it crust well?? Sorry if I sound like a newbie....but I am icon_smile.gif

icedbycarrie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icedbycarrie Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 6:16pm
post #15 of 17

So will SMBC crust like a basic buttercream with merengue powder?

jessfmaldonado Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 7:01pm
post #16 of 17

No SMBC does not crust, after I put it on my cake I stick the cake in the fridge to set up. I use it under fondant mostly and as a filling. Tastes like yummy creamy ice cream!!!

icedbycarrie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icedbycarrie Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 7:39pm
post #17 of 17

Sounds delicious! I can't wait to try...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%