How Do You Store Bc?

Decorating By Jewelsx19 Updated 30 Sep 2008 , 2:14pm by jammjenks

Jewelsx19 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jewelsx19 Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 9:05pm
post #1 of 15

I have a couple cakes coming up, all within a week. Normally I make my buttercream and fondant as needed, but I won't have time.

So I want to make my buttercream and fondant ahead of time, how do you store the buttercream? in the fridge or just in a cool spot? Also how long will it keep?

Thanks!

14 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 10:17pm
post #2 of 15

I store mine (made with milk) in an acrylic container on my counter.

abslu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
abslu Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 10:22pm
post #3 of 15

I usually wrap mine in plastic wrap and toss it in the fridge. It acts just fine when I take it out of the fridge, as long as I let it come to room temp. (I use milk in mine too - it's half shortning half butter)

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 10:28pm
post #4 of 15

I store mine in the fridge. I've had two batches go bad when left out for a week.

ccarroca Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccarroca Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 11:14pm
post #5 of 15

Totally agree with IndyDebi and FYI if you use a plastic container, please be sure that you dedicate it only to your buttercream. If you stored, lets say, chicken salad in it, your bc might have that flavor to it. I like the polycarbonate or acryliic - less likely to absorb flavors.

Rocketgirl899 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rocketgirl899 Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 11:26pm
post #6 of 15

i use sugarshacks recipe. I just leave it a a cool dark place.

I tried freezing it... let it come to room temp and then rebeat...and I didn't like the outcome.

I let one batch (i forgot about it) sit for 3 months.. i still used it! Tasted and was fine.. of course i only used it for a cake for my family.. lol. but no one died icon_smile.gif And every last morsel was eaten.

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 11:28pm
post #7 of 15

i store mine in various plastic glad ware type bowls used only for icing and keep it in the fridge between cakes. i use powdered creamer and heavy cream.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 11:35pm
post #8 of 15

I dedicate 1 day every other week to make all the BC I need for upcoming orders. It's a lot less time consuming for me, than to have to stop and make BC while decorating a cake.

I use the gallon size zip-loc bags, and if it's real hot and humid I put it in the fridge, otherwise I leave it at room temp.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 11:39pm
post #9 of 15

dkelly, GFS just started carrying the 2-gallon size ziploks! These are awesome!!

tblide Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tblide Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 11:44pm
post #10 of 15

What about the store bought buttercream? How long can I use out of the same bucket (28 lbs)? Do I have to put it in the freezer or fridge or can I leave it out?

Jewelsx19 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jewelsx19 Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 12:23am
post #11 of 15

Thanks all for the help, I will probably put it in the fridge since this way I don't have to worry about little fingers getting into it.

I never thought about using plastic bowls, luck for me I use this glass with airtight lids I have.

Thanks!

Chef_Rinny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chef_Rinny Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 12:48am
post #12 of 15

tblide- store bought buttercream should be fine if left out as long as its in a cool place and sealed.

tblide Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tblide Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 1:24am
post #13 of 15

Thanks....but I guess what I am trying to ask is.....if I buy a bucket of 28 lbs of the buttercream from Sam's Club and don't use all of it for say 6 months.....is it going to be ok as long as I store it in a cool place sealed up? I am just starting to make cakes. No, I am not selling them. Although I am checking on what I have to do to become legal. These cakes are all for family and friends. I have four cakes coming up in the next three weeks. Three of them are in one week, so I wanted to buy the icing instead of making it. After these cakes, I don't know when the next cake is that I will have to make.

ccarroca Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccarroca Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 2:51am
post #14 of 15

OOOHHHH I like the zip lock bag idea - I once stored in a previously used tupperware container - yucky taste on my frosting.

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 2:14pm
post #15 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkelly27

I use the gallon size zip-loc bags, and if it's real hot and humid I put it in the fridge, otherwise I leave it at room temp.

This is what I do.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%