Unsalted Butter Question

Decorating By rkljazz Updated 29 Sep 2008 , 5:40pm by rkljazz

rkljazz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rkljazz Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 4:33pm
post #1 of 6

I sent my husband to the store with a list for my cake supplies but he came back with unsalted butter for my Wilton buttercream. Can I use this? Will it taste ok?

5 replies
vmertsock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vmertsock Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 4:53pm
post #2 of 6

I've never used the Wilton buttercream recipe, but I only use unsalted butter for everything-not just baking. I like being able to control the salt level myself. It's actually kind of amusing when I go to a restaurant and try the bread and butter. I'm so used to unsalted butter that I tend to make weird faces until I remember restaurant butter is often salted!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 5:00pm
post #3 of 6

Unsalted butter is probalby fresher anyway. Salt is used as a preservative.

Narie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Narie Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 5:21pm
post #4 of 6

You may need to add a bit of salt to get the taste you are looking for. I purchased some by accident, used on the table and got weird faces for the opposite reason... no salt! It's a matter of what you are expecting.

dinas27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dinas27 Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 5:26pm
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by leahs

Unsalted butter is probalby fresher anyway. Salt is used as a preservative.

and because of this it is best to use unsalted butter immediately, or freeze it. I tried leaving it in the fridge once - after a few weeks it grew mold spots!

rkljazz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rkljazz Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 5:40pm
post #6 of 6

thanks folks. I tried it with unsalted butter and it tastes just fine. A little sweeter than usual but still good. I appreciate you all responding wit good advice. Happy decorating!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%