How Much For These Mini Cakes?

Decorating By mandi1613 Updated 30 Sep 2008 , 1:11am by FromScratch

mandi1613 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandi1613 Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 12:24pm
post #1 of 11

Someone on my job asked me how much i would charge for 30 of these mini bassinet cakes...they were fairly time consuming the first time i made them but i'm sure as i get more practice i will become more efficient what do you think? Thanks in advance
LL

10 replies
mandi1613 Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 12:25pm
post #2 of 11

just click the name next to the red x and the picture should pop up

spring Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
spring Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 12:42pm
post #3 of 11

$20 a piece...they look time consuming.

Minette
My Blog www.minetterushing.typepad.com

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 12:51pm
post #4 of 11

How big are they?

I start minis at $20/cake.. that's a single tiered regular mini. I'd start these at $35 each depending on the size.

mandi1613 Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 12:57pm
post #5 of 11

i was going to make them 3x3" the one in the pictures is acutally from a 6" pan.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 1:03pm
post #6 of 11

Definitely in the $20-$35 each range.

You may not want this order. OK, you may want it now, but when you're inthe middle of it, then you won't want it. Be sure to get well paid.

mandi1613 Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 1:44pm
post #7 of 11

berryblonde, i can tell you that the 6" bassinet was pretty time consuming so i can imagine how difficult it would be to do a cake half the size.

jjandhope Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jjandhope Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 1:53pm
post #8 of 11

Smaller just means less cake batter. That doesnt cost a lot so it doesnt reduce the price much. You still put in as much work as you would on a big cake. WHat these guys are recommending sounds reasonable.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 2:17pm
post #9 of 11

They would be time consuming but you could slap those out too. Charge a bunch & work smart.

The blanket is easy. Roll out one large sheet of pink fondant. Roll out a sheet of real thin white and place moistened white plunger flowers onto the pink directly from the plunger, give it a gentle roll then cut the pink to the shape of all the blankets. wa la*

If you handle each of those blankets and each of those flowers your brain will die an early death.

Roll out soem fondant and cut stripes to roll into a snake between two dowels --the dowels are the size of the top rim, just cut & place for that rim around the top.

I would cheat and pipe that ruffle because it is real easy to pipe.
Yeah lots of work but work smart--do 30 at once--not one by one. Turn your turntable upside down the use the smaller footed end whether you pipe or place a fondant ruffle. This is where you are gonna go nuts. Pipe it! With a rose tube.

I can't tell how to do the top of the bassinete but think of all of them at once is my point.

Don't mind me I'm just running my mouth.

Some ba$$inette thoughts for you.

Also the fondant covered board? I would do a cookie base or cut out fondant rounds with a cookie cutter and get them hard as a rock and place those on a cardboard. I mean think of making 30 somethings rather than 'covering 30 bases with fondant'. The fondant rounds could be made today for an order 60 days away. kwim

I could come help...sounds like fun...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkZiab

PSA: The word is voila. say it with me: VOILA. Waalaa (or however it's spelled) is NOT a word! And if I'm really going to nit pick: et voila!

* wa la --this is a playful phonetic spelling of viola--sometimes I type 'wa ah ah la' fyi--I think it's fun and americanized--it's a K8-ism. icon_biggrin.gif

mandi1613 Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 12:07am
post #10 of 11

thanks everyone for your input...k8 i love your tips on streamlining the process...i don't think she wants to pay that much though so i am going to suggest some other mini cake ideas

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 1:11am
post #11 of 11

Remember than any minis are going to be a pricer option than one bigger cake. One bigger cake you only have to decorate once. It takes a lot less time than decorating 30 minis over and over again.. then you have to package them all up individually and it quickly becomes the job you wish you never took for so little money. Honestly.. with regualr cakes and minis pricing is like apples and oranges. No way can you make mini cakes and price them the same as your per servings price.

I'd tell her, me personally here, 30 minis for $600.00 or a cake to feed 30 for $150.00 and see what she decides.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%