How Do You Stem Those Tiny Flowers?

Decorating By DebraDough Updated 28 Sep 2008 , 1:00am by DebraDough

DebraDough Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DebraDough Posted 27 Sep 2008 , 6:16pm
post #1 of 10

How do you stem those tiny flowers? Mine just fall off the stem and also if it is suppose to be edible how do we get away with floral tape and cloth covered wire? Any tips would be greatly appreciated. I live where there are no classes. I would be glad to purchase a DVD if someone can suggest a good one. Thanks in advance for any help. Blessings, Debra

9 replies
shadowgypsie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shadowgypsie Posted 27 Sep 2008 , 7:59pm
post #2 of 10

Hello Debra
I made a lot of tiny wired flowers. What I did to attach them to wire was to pipe tip #3 mounds of royal icing on to waxed paper then stick my wire into it. Let dry then attach flowers to the mounds with a spot of more royal icing worked great.

DebraDough Posted 27 Sep 2008 , 10:10pm
post #3 of 10

Bless your sweet heart for answering. I will be trying that this afternoon. One lady on here did a stem of blackberries and it was so amazing. I think I might pm her and see if she has a different method too. I've found the more different ways I have to try something the more likely I am to find at least one that works for me. I'll be trying yours soon. Thanks again. Blessings, Debra

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 27 Sep 2008 , 10:40pm
post #4 of 10

Before you put your flowers on make sure that there is a tiny hook on the end of it. Then did it in edible glue (tylose and warm water works great) and then feed the flower onto the wire. Most of the flowers have some kind of base to them. So lets say your doing something like babysbreath. You want to take a small bit of the gumpaste and put it on your wire and roll it so that is gives you a cone shape, the wider part at the top. The you can put your flower on that or you can actually form your flower from the paste on the wire.
Not sure if she has her video out yet but Chef Lori from Wildflowers is a great teacher and her flowers are very realistic. If you cant get something from her I suggest Jennifer Dontz videos. She has some on sale now at Global Sugar Art and if you can travel, Im hosting a class with her in November.

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 27 Sep 2008 , 10:58pm
post #5 of 10
terrylee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrylee Posted 27 Sep 2008 , 11:06pm
post #6 of 10

It's a bit more fragil but I sometimes use spagetti, if you need it totally eatible. I have attached bee's on flowers, wiskers on cats, small flowers.

DebraDough Posted 27 Sep 2008 , 11:36pm
post #7 of 10

Thanks so much for the links and ideas. I already have way more to go on. I think maybe I'm just in too big a hurry when I try to do these wire, small things. I will try to slow down a bit and let things dry a bit more. I have always had them just falling off I think because I've just rushed it. Hey....does anyone know if CC ever sponsors a cruise? Now wouldn't that just be a boat load of fun ! ? I wouldn't even care where we went. I was outside (that's what we call the lower 48 States here in Alaska) twice last year for about a month both times and both of my daughters got married last year within a five month period. I don't think I'm going to get to go anywhere anytime soon but I would rob a bank to go on a CC cruise. Anyone else think that sounds fun? Thanks again to all who have responded. I honestly feel like i've found home here on CC. Everyone speaks my language...cakes! Blessings to all, Debra

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 27 Sep 2008 , 11:54pm
post #8 of 10

There are cruises with Colette Peters and Nick Lodge usually. You can see the ad in American Cake Magazine. Im sure a lot of CC'ers go to those things!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 27 Sep 2008 , 11:57pm
post #9 of 10

I'm not trying to overload yah but here's a pictorial I did on the subject of baby's breath.
Just keep clicking next and read the captions above the photos.

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2755889610054976741kyoJHr?vhost=good-times

DebraDough Posted 28 Sep 2008 , 1:00am
post #10 of 10

It is simply not possible to overload me on these things. I am a compulsive creator of objects. When I was a kid I learned to crochet..with yarn, got bored, went to thread, got bored, went to embroidrey thread....got bored ...now I don't crochet anything except really cute baby things. I've been decorating cakes for over forty years and I am so happy to say I'm still learning every day. It's just so much fun, almost as much fun as painting a landscape of my beautiful Alaska mountains. The up side of caking is you get to EAT them. Yea! Thanks everyone...I'll post pictures when I have something to show. Blessings, Debra

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%