Chocolate Help!! Asap!!!

Decorating By lkoenig07 Updated 28 Sep 2008 , 3:37pm by mamacc

lkoenig07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lkoenig07 Posted 27 Sep 2008 , 2:42pm
post #1 of 6

Ok... I'm making my hubby's birthday cake today. I'm doing the Marine Corps emblem on it in CT. I wanted to do the rope border around the bottom, but was wondering.... If I did the rope border out of white chocolate & let it harden, would I be able to paint it with gold luster dust later??? I've tried painting hardened BC and it doesn't work too well. What do you think? Thanks!!!

5 replies
Sarsi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sarsi Posted 27 Sep 2008 , 3:53pm
post #2 of 6

I think the oils in the chocolate is going to reject the luster dust. You could maybe brush it on dry, but I don't believe you can PAINT it on...(like mixing it with vodka)

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 27 Sep 2008 , 4:21pm
post #3 of 6

You can paint it on, but only dry. You won't have the same effect with the luster dust doing it though. It won't have that true gold look but rather a light brush look of gold with the white coming through.

mamacc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamacc Posted 28 Sep 2008 , 3:23pm
post #4 of 6

Ive painted white modeling chocolate before with luster dust/vodka.(the knight on my red dragon cake) I had to paint a few coats on, letting it dry in between coats but it did work... Were you going to try to do it with straight chocolate or modeling choc??

handymama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
handymama Posted 28 Sep 2008 , 3:34pm
post #5 of 6

I've painted gold luster/vodka on molded dark chocolate (merkens). The chocolate is rather "slippery" so the gold wasn't as all-covering as I would have liked, and I suspect it could have smudged off if I touched it. If you have everclear I'm guessing that should work much better than the vodka. Anyway, make a test blob and give it a try.

mamacc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamacc Posted 28 Sep 2008 , 3:37pm
post #6 of 6

It also helps a lot to get the right consistency of "paint". I've had issues with coverage when it's too thin or too thick. I ALWAYS need 2-3 coats on anything I'm painting with silver or gold luster dust.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%