12 X18 Sheet Cake Split Down The Middle!

Decorating By IloveYorkies85 Updated 2 Oct 2008 , 7:22pm by Pookie59

IloveYorkies85 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IloveYorkies85 Posted 27 Sep 2008 , 1:16pm
post #1 of 7

UGH! This cake is being such a pain right now..... I've already had tons of trouble with it.... several trips to store b/c I forgot something....
Well just flipped on the baking rack and my hand slipped just a tad and there it went, cake split right down the middle!!!
Can I just try to put it back together? Or do I really have to bake another one?? This cake has already been more trouble than its worth, and i'm not even decorating yet.... thumbsdown.gif

6 replies
KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 27 Sep 2008 , 1:23pm
post #2 of 7

if you're just making a single layer 1/2 sheet cake, there is NO WAY I'd bother baking another one!! I mean we put whole sheets together with two pieces of cake right?? Who cares, put some icing between the two broken halves and stick em' together and start frosting like usual. It'll be fine!! Just make sure your board underneath is sturdy so that when it's picked up it doesn't have the tendency to want to separate.

thefrostedcakencookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thefrostedcakencookie Posted 27 Sep 2008 , 1:33pm
post #3 of 7

i second what khalstead said and even if you are going to torte them you can just torte them seperately and then put them together when its time to ice.

dmhart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dmhart Posted 27 Sep 2008 , 1:44pm
post #4 of 7

Along as you don't have to torte you are fine, just filling in the spilt with icing and keep truckin'!! icon_wink.gif No one will ever know. I agree with KHalstead make sure you have a sturdy board under it so it won't separate when you move it.

Good luck, I had a cake just like this yesterday. Everything I did to it went wrong. icon_cry.gif I was so glad to get it out of my kitchen. Customer was happy with it, if that counts for anything! icon_rolleyes.gif

IloveYorkies85 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IloveYorkies85 Posted 27 Sep 2008 , 2:56pm
post #5 of 7

thanks yall! hope everything else goes good... getting a little caked out on this one!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 27 Sep 2008 , 3:11pm
post #6 of 7

Ugh I hate that when it happens. But use the frige to your advantage too. If it's not a butter based cake I'd keep it chilled when handling since it's already been in the ER.

Happy cake thoughts radiating out to you.

Pookie59 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pookie59 Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 7:22pm
post #7 of 7

Buttercream can hide a multitude of evils. I'd try to fix it first.

But, failing that, you could scrap it and use the damaged cake for cakeballs and make another.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%