Cake Disaster- Help!

Decorating By prov356 Updated 11 Nov 2008 , 6:10pm by UltimateCakes

prov356 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prov356 Posted 27 Sep 2008 , 2:21am
post #1 of 7

I have been using a dark Wilton 9x13x2 with 1 and 1/2 recipes of a box cake mix. 325 until done in the center. I used Baker's Joy to keep from sticking. It cooked unevenly. The edges were curled up and very hard.

My sweet dh drove 30 min. to the store to buy the prof line 13x9x2 but he accidentally bought the light silver Wilton (not prof line). Anybody used these? Should I attempt again with these new pans and a flower nail or just go back and get the prof line ones?

What am I doing wrong????!!!!!!

6 replies
Tellis12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tellis12 Posted 27 Sep 2008 , 2:30am
post #2 of 7

Did you use baking strips? I had that kind of issue before I started using those.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 27 Sep 2008 , 2:30am
post #3 of 7

If the sides are too slick, the edges will curl and be hard...try using crisco and flour in the aluminum pan and see how that works.

Good luck!

shanasweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanasweets Posted 27 Sep 2008 , 2:33am
post #4 of 7

I usually bake a cake mix with extender for 9 x 13. I do have the regular wilton pans. I also use the cake release (1 c each flour, veg oil, shortening). I also use a flour nail. I like the wilton strips, but they don't fit real great around this pan., So I don't use. It sometimes domes a little, but I gently press as soon as it comes out of the oven with paper towel. I sometimes see slight edge that is more done, but never that much, could easily be cut off. But I normally leave it.

Eisskween Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eisskween Posted 27 Sep 2008 , 2:33am
post #5 of 7

Did you try using one of Wilton's 'Bake Even' belts. I always use them and have never had a problem. You may need two of them because of the size of the pan.

icon_biggrin.gif

Best,
Karen

lisa78332 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lisa78332 Posted 27 Sep 2008 , 2:33am
post #6 of 7

I use those pans too. But I made baking strips by cutting up a dish towel and using metal binder clips to hold them to the pan. Then I sprayed the pan with the same item you use. Mine bake evenly, somewhat flat. I also use the same temp as you did. Good Luck.

UltimateCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
UltimateCakes Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 6:10pm
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa78332

I use those pans too. But I made baking strips by cutting up a dish towel and using metal binder clips to hold them to the pan. Then I sprayed the pan with the same item you use. Mine bake evenly, somewhat flat. I also use the same temp as you did. Good Luck.

So I just cut up a dish towel and wrap them around the pan? Do they need to be wet? How wet? Thanks for the advice.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%