Pillow Cake

Decorating By paulstonia Updated 26 Sep 2008 , 9:55pm by paulstonia

paulstonia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paulstonia Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 11:36pm
post #1 of 3

hello everyone, I'm going to attempt a pillow cake this week and was hoping for some tips from those of you who have made them. I read the article showing how to make it but I'm not sure what size pan I should use and it does not show very well how to get the fondant on the underside. Also most of the pictures in the gallary look like both top and bottom are carved but that isn't done it the article. Thanks in advance for the help. Just love this site, everyone is so great. It's the only place I can find people who love cake like I do (I really think my family is just sick of hearing about cake icon_rolleyes.gif )

2 replies
KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 4:24pm
post #2 of 3

the size cake is up to you.......I've done them in a 4" square, 8" square and a 10" square and they're all pretty much the same. Keep in mind that you won't have the same height as a normal cake so you get about half the servings. When I make them, I fill my cake pan a little more than usual....not so much that it will spill over though. Then I get a nice dome baked on the top, giving it more of a pillow shape. Then I take a knife and cut starting a little out from the center of the cake and towards one corner, carving a slight slant down as I get to the corner, I do this for all four sides, then I flip the cake over and do the same thing to the other side, then when I have the shape I'm after I coat in buttercream and then fondant, When covering in fondant I just push the fondant up around the bottom getting it to adhere to the bc all around and then cut it off around the very bottom like you would with any cake, it just "looks" like the whole bottom is covered but it's really not. Pillows are really one of the simplest things you can carve.....well, besides a book lol

Good Luck

paulstonia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paulstonia Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 9:55pm
post #3 of 3

thanks so much for the advice.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%