Lorann Oils

Decorating By BCo Updated 16 Nov 2008 , 11:39pm by superstar

BCo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCo Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 8:20pm
post #1 of 20

Hi all - I was wondering how concentrated are LorAnn Oils and how much would I need to use in about 8 or 9 cups of buttercream to get a good flavor? I haven't used the oils before and I bought only 1dram of Cotton Candy flavor to flavor some buttercream. Are these extremely concentrated enough that I will only need the little bit that I bought. Unfortunitly I didn't think about how tiny the bottle was until right this second and I need to finish the cake tonight and have no way of getting any more.

thanks so much

19 replies
levinea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
levinea Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 8:26pm
post #2 of 20

They are strong! You will literally only need a few drops from an eyedropper of the oil to flavor your buttercream, depending on how strong of a flavor you like - and how strong that paricular flavor is (I haven't tried the Cotton Candy). Start with just a few, taste, and then adjust upward.

For 8 cups of buttcream, I would usually use about 6 drops of lemon, champagne, etc, but I like subtle flavors. You may like more than that.

BCo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCo Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 8:45pm
post #3 of 20

Thank you so much for the quick reply - I will start with 6 and go from there. It's for kids but there will be adults too so I don't want to get too crazy with it!!

thanks again

forthwife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
forthwife Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 10:20pm
post #4 of 20

These oils are GREAT!!! I them to flavor my fondant as well. I love the raspberry, makes it taste like candy!

superstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superstar Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 9:25pm
post #5 of 20

Do you mean those tiny bottles of oil, I have a lot of them, only used it once & I think I might have used too much as my BC was a little oily. The flavor is very good. I will have to try them again.

reecesdaddy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
reecesdaddy Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 6:58pm
post #6 of 20

I've never heard of LoRann. I'm very new to cake decorating, trying my hand at fondant after watching cake competitions of Food Network with my wife (DON'T LAUGH!) icon_rolleyes.gif

Does anyone have a suggestion of where to buy it online? My town is tiny, with only a Michael's and JoAnns to find cake related stuff.

Ksue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ksue Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 7:07pm
post #7 of 20

https://www.lorannoils.com/

They are great to deal with, and their flavors are fab.

Good luck!

Wildrose6633 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wildrose6633 Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 7:16pm
post #8 of 20

I ususally get mine at fondant source they have great prices on so many things and great customer service if something you ordered is out of stock they will give you call the same day.

Barb

thecook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecook Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 8:13pm
post #9 of 20

I had good service from here.

http://www.shopbettys.com/detail.aspx?ID=108

superstar Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 9:37pm
post #10 of 20

Please, would someone tell me how much of these oils to use in BC.

Carolynlovescake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carolynlovescake Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 11:58pm
post #11 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by superstar

Please, would someone tell me how much of these oils to use in BC.

It varies by flavor and personal taste.

Some I add 3 drops to a full batch of BC and it's almost to strong while others for the same size batch take a little more.

I've learned over the years to just start with a few and add until it's just potent enough to not over power.

I also love capella drops but we'll save them for another thread and leave this one to the wonders of Lorann. I love the Lorann line as well.

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 15 Nov 2008 , 12:18am
post #12 of 20

Gosh, I find them to be strong enough that only one or two drops is enough for a batch of buttercream! I guess it truly depends on individual tastes. I would start on the low side and add only one additional drop at a time after that. They are great for flavoring your simple syrup as well.

Tinaweena197 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tinaweena197 Posted 15 Nov 2008 , 12:19am
post #13 of 20

I just bought a small bottle of Amaretto flavour last week at the Bulk Barn for $1.25 !

About 45 mins ago I finished making a batch of buttercream with it, and it is heavenly! I just made a half batch of icing since I'm just doing a small practice cake tonight and added maybe 2 drops and wow...all I can smell is amaretto in my kitchen! They are very potent...

I have to go back and get lots more!!

KathyTW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathyTW Posted 15 Nov 2008 , 12:20am
post #14 of 20

I hit the jackpot with Lorann oils when I went to Walmart yesterday!!!! They have quite a few flavors in the double-pack and I'm pretty sure they were $1.98. I got butterscotch, wintergreen, cinnamon, butter rum, watermelon, and rootbeer. They had others like lemon, raspberry, peppermint but I already had those.

They were in a really strange place - on a side of an isle end by the kleenex but close to the center isle baking ingredient display. It's worth searching for!!!!

Kathy

superstar Posted 15 Nov 2008 , 2:10am
post #15 of 20

Thanks for the info. I am going to give them a try again.

pastrygirl33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastrygirl33 Posted 16 Nov 2008 , 3:05am
post #16 of 20

Wow you guys are so lucky. I have to go to a specialty store to get them here, our walmart does not have these things at all. I pay mine 8$ each and they are little tiny bottles.

ncbert Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ncbert Posted 16 Nov 2008 , 3:10am
post #17 of 20

That's too funny, I just had a request for cotton candy and bought a bottle to use tomorrow!
I think I will start with 2 drops....

glendaleAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
glendaleAZ Posted 16 Nov 2008 , 3:47am
post #18 of 20

Does anyone know how long the oil flavors last, before and after opening the bottle the first time?

Thanks,
Tammy

glendaleAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
glendaleAZ Posted 16 Nov 2008 , 4:40am
post #19 of 20

Hi ncbert,

About two years ago, I put some cotton candy oil in buttercream to frost some cup cakes. It tasted wonderful, just like cotton candy, but if you're only making one batch of frosting, you may want to start with only one drop as it was very strong the last time I used it.

Tammy

superstar Posted 16 Nov 2008 , 11:39pm
post #20 of 20

my goodness pastrygirl33, that is really expensive.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%